Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    While it doesn't work for year round living, probably the best combination of cheap to live and great skiing is Jackson Wyoming.

Jackson is the Gateway to Yellowstone Park, so winter is the off season with many lodges that close for the winter. The Jackson Motel 6 is 20 minutes from the skiing, winter rates are $55/night changing to $300/night in summer. If you stay for 7 nights they only charge you for 5 nights, rooms were remodeled a few years ago and several rooms, although they are small, have microwaves and fridges.

The last time I was at the Jackson Motel 6, I met a retired guy who was staying there for the entire winter and working as a ski instructor at Jackson Hole.

Anyone know of any other place where you can stay without sharing accommodation, for $275/week and be 20 minutes from skiing equal to or better than Jackson Hole....I didn't think so.
    And the award for most tone deaf post....ever, goes to.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    And the award for most tone deaf post....ever, goes to.
    Sponsored by the Bunny Profane memorial fund "... he went there once"

The last time I was at the Jackson Motel 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Sponsored by the Bunny Profane memorial fund "... he went there once"
    not convinced...i'm moving there immediately based on that review

Motel 6 was bought by someone who put up a new coat of paint, renamed it, put up a fancy-ish sign, and is pretending it is a ‘boutique’ hotel. Expect $300 a night this winter, or more if the market doesn’t completely collapse. Long term rooms in the divier hotels (there are only one or two left) roughly go for $400 a week, per person. No kitchen, no service, no nothing.

EDIT: The long term seasonal rentals will be eligible for full time employees only, which usually means almost no time to ski.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Pretty sure the motel6 in Jackson is being turned into much more expensive apartments. Also pretty sure it is one of the most expensive zip codes in the country... It might have been cheap 20 years ago.

I have multiple friends in Jackson who have almost ended up homeless in the past few years due to housing cost and availability.

EDIT: https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...a5cbf43cd.html
    Disappointed to hear the above. The last time I was at the Motel 6 in Jackson was in 2020, just before the pandemic hit and I paid $275 for the week.

Is there a place in the USA that’s cheap to live and has good skiing

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    How's road biking there...or all biking in general? Retired a few weeks ago....could be a place to rent a few months.
    Good road biking to be had with lots of nice climbing in the northern parts (big, switchbacky stuff). We did some mellow rides around Bovec which were beautiful. Our slovenian friends seem to like to cross north to Austria to ride lift-serve on their mountian bikes but I know there's some fun singletrack to be had.

Can't say enough good things about the country and vibe there. Only downside is the snow pack/quality is pretty inconsistent. The terrain has crazy potential, if you hit it right:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07305.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	776.2 KB 
ID:	425315

Enrico Mosseti is the master for steep skiing around the Julian Alps. He's put some crazy first and second descents on both the Italian and Slovenian sides during the last decade: https://www.instagram.com/sonilmose/?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Pretty sure the motel6 in Jackson is being turned into much more expensive apartments. Also pretty sure it is one of the most expensive zip codes in the country... It might have been cheap 20 years ago.

I have multiple friends in Jackson who have almost ended up homeless in the past few years due to housing cost and availability.

EDIT: https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...a5cbf43cd.html
    That stinks. I stayed at the M6 last winter for a over a week for a mag meetup. With taxes was more like 75/night but still a great deal considering the locale.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Ten sleep Wyoming.
    Or go north to Hyattsville, WY.

There are some amazing places out there to live cheap and ski amazing stuff if you don't need a lift or trails. Rico, CO. Lake City, CO.

A friend went through this same dilemma. We cruised around and checked places out. Almost settled on Idaho Falls.
    In the end said F this and moved to Mexico and never came back. Skiing is fun but getting tough if you aren't rich and don't want to be a total dirtbag. Mexico you can enjoy yourself and live well and have time and a roof.

Salida (Monarch)?
    Wolf Creek?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

While it doesn't work for year round living, probably the best combination of cheap to live and great skiing is Jackson Wyoming.

Jackson is the Gateway to Yellowstone Park, so winter is the off season with many lodges that close for the winter. The Jackson Motel 6 is 20 minutes from the skiing, winter rates are $55/night changing to $300/night in summer. If you stay for 7 nights they only charge you for 5 nights, rooms were remodeled a few years ago and several rooms, although they are small, have microwaves and fridges.

The last time I was at the Jackson Motel 6, I met a retired guy who was staying there for the entire winter and working as a ski instructor at Jackson Hole.

Anyone know of any other place where you can stay without sharing accommodation, for $275/week and be 20 minutes from skiing equal to or better than Jackson Hole....I didn't think so.
    The talk of cheap and Jackson don't equate. The first time I went to Jackson was the mid eighties. We drove out there from New Hampshire with the plan of just doing what we had to do to ski some big mountains for three weeks. Lived in our trucks, met some good folks, made some side cash bussing tables, washing dishes, cleaning rooms, whatever we had to do to make some money to buy weed and beer, and also to bum hot showers, and just live the life. Second time we drove out there we were supposed to stay with a friend who's wife promptly told us "there is no fucking way those guys are staying here while we have a new born baby blah blah blah...back to camping in the trucks. Third time I was with my wife on a group trip. Stayed in a nice place with hot and cold running water and a fire place. Fourth time we were there to celebrate my 50th birthday with digs at the Jackson Mountain Club in Teton Village. Two bedrooms, washer dryer, huge ass kitchen, you name it. Jackson takes money and a plan. Unless you have friends there that are willing to help you get set up it might be easier to do somewhere else. Or if you have a pile of money to buy a place and a few friends then go for it. I love Jackson but I think the days of just showing up and pulling it off are kind of over. BTW the days we spent skiing our asses off and busting ass at night for extra cash while living in a Land Cruiser were some of the best days of my life. Its always funny to look back at how far we went with basically nothing other than the desire to just go skiing.

BTW the days we spent skiing our asses off and busting ass at night for extra cash while living in a Land Cruiser were some of the best days of my life. Its always funny to look back at how far we went with basically nothing other than the desire to just go skiing.
    You were able to experience the whole enchilada, congrats. Those 1st two trips sound like trip of a lifetime caliber, other than your buddies wife. But with a new baby who could really blame her.

The concept of world class terrain, manageable crowds, ample snow and a doable cost of living in the US are long gone.

Somethings got to give and that means giving up somethings for others. (No shit)

1500 vert. 250" a year and at least one decent chairlift? Doesn't seem like too much to ask. Maybe some decent side country as well?

Of course you need some housing nearby and quite possibly a job unless you can WFH. But then you drive costs up for what few locals are already there and............. well.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    You were able to experience the whole enchilada, congrats. Those 1st two trips sound like trip of a lifetime caliber, other than your buddies wife. But with a new baby who could really blame her.

The concept of world class terrain, manageable crowds, ample snow and a doable cost of living in the US are long gone.

Somethings got to give and that means giving up somethings for others. (No shit)

1500 vert. 250" a year and at least one decent chairlift? Doesn't seem like too much to ask. Maybe some decent side country as well?

Of course you need some housing nearby and quite possibly a job unless you can WFH. But then you drive costs up for what few locals are already there and............. well.
    And here we are today. The dollar is pretty much worthless and you can't retire until you are 106 years old. I admit I am going to become part of the problem of the ski town affordable housing crisis. When I retire Im going to need affordable housing. Maybe Biden will institute a season pass redemption waiver so people can file and get their money back on a season pass....

I switched my home mortgage to a student loan. Follow me for more financial advice.

The fact that there won’t be cold enough weather is probably a bigger challenge.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I'm pushing hard on a 5.13c runout in Jackson.

Truly a bummer about the M6. It made skidding here way easier than it should have been at this point.

You mags who know me always have a spot in the waxroom. Them's that don't, might.

How many mags have shown up here and crashed, never having met prior: SFB, Seano, Brock Lander, Doebedoe, a few more.

There's precious few shortcuts at the vill anymore.

Stayed at the Lewis & Clark on Main Street, Bozeman for two winter seasons, $900 per month including breakfast and housekeeping. Third season out there (2015) lived at what is now the RSVP Hotel for the same rate & service, but when parking lots at Bridger Bowl began selling out by 0900 I bailed that town. Too spicy

Maybe I missed it but what's wrong with the Reno area? Seems like homes are still cheap, and there's good access to mountains and a real airport with flights to major cities. Doesn't seem to have the western water issues that will affect SLC and other western cities.

Quote Originally Posted by priapism View Post
    Maybe I missed it but what's wrong with the Reno area? Seems like homes are still cheap, and there's good access to mountains and a real airport with flights to major cities. Doesn't seem to have the western water issues that will affect SLC and other western cities.
    Define "cheap homes" for us.

Mountains and real airport, agreed.

Water issues are on the horizon. Builders keep building, seemingly without any regard as to whether there's enough water.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Define "cheap homes" for us
    I guess my metric for cheap is relative to across the state border in areas like Tahoe and Mammoth, also compared to Bozeman and Boulder
    Will the supply of water from the Sierra snowmelt hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by priapism View Post
    I guess my metric for cheap is relative to across the state border in areas like Tahoe and Mammoth, also compared to Bozeman and Boulder
    Will the supply of water from the Sierra snowmelt hold up?
    Well, 1/3 ish of Tahoe is in Nevada, but that certainly isn't the cheap housing part. The California side of Tahoe is cheaper due to having higher taxes.

Anyway, Reno SFH prices are nuts for what the local wages are. (Not condo, not trailer.) $400K+. Not sure if you could buy a house in Reno/Sparks for $200K today - maybe out in Fernley, Cold Springs, Dayton?

The last several winters have been sub average, so the drought continues in California.

https://www.redfin.com/city/15627/NV...housing-market
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by CoorsLight99 View Post
    I think the costs of driving a vehicle to the mountain and heating a cold weather dwelling will be more challenging than obtaining mountain housing a decade or two from now. I think we might see huge houses on mountains basically given away because the taxes/heating costs will equal a couple median salaries.
    Are you fucking stupid

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    I switched my home mortgage to a student loan. Follow me for more financial advice.
    Best advice of the week thanks for the advice

^ ha love it.

I wonder if Jackson will just continue to become this super weird enclave like the yc but w some public roaming around.

Bbear said passes sold out already? Jesus. Wait another few years, only the uber rich get passes, j1 and h1b visa employees everywhere, long time Jackson peeps disappearing, priced out, and or through ly disgusted w the empty shell that is now Jackson. Or maybe not.

re: jh

there are still weekday passes to be bought, and work oriented passes are everywhere.

Jackson's a little different in that it had a life before skiing. Nothing to write home about.
    And the inherent barriers to skiing here early kept the hordes at bay longer than most places. Not near a hub, few direct flights, cold, weak lift system, lame food service, etc.

I feel like JH was the last holdout of the big 5 players as far as getting too popular. 10 years ago walk on trams and slow weeks all season long were still the norm.
    The Forbes articles, then Ikon, then covid - accelerated the speed with which people really started maxing out the capacity.
    I'd argue that the 2 years prior to the ikon were busier during the high seasons, but they had week long lulls still.
    With Ikon, even the lulls disappeared. Busy on a hardpack thursday with a 4 box wait. All winter.

Mt. Collective had hardly any real negative impact because it's only for 2 days, not 5/7.

For every negative about this place, there's a positive. Even to scale. Some aspects blow chunks, others are better than anywhere else on any given day.

What?

3,000 people behind me in line on a 23" blower 5% pow day and I can only manage 3 waist deep Couch laps before the masses force me out?

I'm just gonna have to live with that. Used to be 9 laps, 12 if you were burly and lucky.

Who cares about all of that other shit. I'm just here for the skiing, always have been.

True, Djongo, the last holdout. Still, even with all the fucking summer grooming they haven’t flattened it out.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda