Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Wicked Thick Woods... lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    we gona take away ya guns boy !

but seriously I'm pretty sure the koots has got expensive which started when the whistler folks left back in the 80's but we could ask BC mtn powderhound

hell northern BC has got expensive, nothing to buy or even rent
    still cheap compared to the "resorts" if you don't want to live right in town and don't mind 1/2 hour drive to the hill (fernie/kimberley anyway) it's okay
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Trucking.
    Be retired

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

place with skiing, like a place where normal working people get 100 days in and it’s not some incredible feat of getting up at 4am and driving 200 miles a day or taking a bunch of vacations or whatever. I don’t know why I’m still explaining this, plenty of people understood and sent good suggestions. Thanks. Case closed.
    Not to pile on, and very hesitant to even post, BUT I don't know many normal working people who get 100 days a year. 100 days a year is always a pretty incredible feat. Sacrifice your career, your a partner/family, your home life, your dreams outside of sliding on snow a bunch. Living close to a hill is simply one part of a pretty demanding equation. 100 days/year don't come easy. And normal working people don't ski 100 days/year. Thinking otherwise is lying to yourself.

In reality I'm very lame and probably have just given up on the dream.
    Last edited by Terrapin Ben; 03-11-2022 at 12:54 PM.

Ill, you clearly need to be taking more supplements and getting those kettle bells in. Have you looked into Austin Texas? Podcasting? Everyone is moving here, Elon Musk, Alex Jones, Lyle Lovett...it's totally on!
    Who cares about cheap, just sell more vitamins on your podcast... bowhunting, teslas everywhere, no masks!
    It's all about Austin

My friend lived in Lakewood, waited tables at night in downtown Denver, skied during the day, and would hit 100 days a year. It was about 1.5hrs each way to ski on a weekday. Rents are higher now (this was 15yrs ago) of course. Traffic is crazier now. I wonder if it's still doable.

This thread sort of makes me happy that I don't even care that much about skiing anymore. Or maybe that's just because this season sucked ass.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    still cheap compared to the "resorts" if you don't want to live right in town and don't mind 1/2 hour drive to the hill (fernie/kimberley anyway) it's okay
    yeah it would be 45 min to hazelton and i think you could get something under 200K

a block from the craft brew/ downtown is gona cost you 550+
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    ”I bought a private island, what should I do with my island” and in the middle of that I ask if anyone would PM me if they know of a place that’s cheap to live and near good skiing, and the “cheap” discussion begins with telling me places where rent is significantly higher than my income and houses are selling for 3x a house I am struggling to afford right now
    I assume this is directed at me ???

You forget I know your address. I just looked up your house on Zillow and it’s worth more than my island.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

yeah it would be 45 min to hazelton and i think you could get something under 200K

a block from the craft brew/ downtown is gona cost you 550+
    The biggest factor for working folk bringing in under <$150k/yr when looking for a house to buy these days is high speed internet access. In town you should have access to cable, maybe even optic, with dsl the bare bones option for ‘reasonable’ cost. To get high speed access in BC away from town mean some form of satellite, which is expensive and moderately unreliable. This affects work options and kid’s educational needs. It is definitely a factor for my wife and daughter when we are looking at finding a spot with a bit more land space within our budget. The higher gas prices are also compounding that issue. An hour commute to the town for work or play is getting a whole lot more expensive in a hurry.

Another thing that the conversation seems to conflate is wages and cost of energy. I am all for paying more for ‘bad’ energy. I am also aware that my wage buying power has not kept pace with inflation for much of the last 40yrs. And I am lucky in that I have managed to increase my earning potential with career advancement, and have a relatively simple recreational/technological/social need - this is not the case with most middle class households. So ya, I can separate the argument that I am underpaid for my labour contribution, while also supporting higher gas prices and the like to address environmental concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    The biggest factor for working folk bringing in under <$150k/yr when looking for a house to buy these days is high speed internet access. In town you should have access to cable, maybe even optic, with dsl the bare bones option for ‘reasonable’ cost. To get high speed access in BC away from town mean some form of satellite, which is expensive and moderately unreliable. This affects work options and kid’s educational needs. It is definitely a factor for my wife and daughter when we are looking at finding a spot with a bit more land space within our budget. The higher gas prices are also compounding that issue. An hour commute to the town for work or play is getting a whole lot more expensive in a hurry.

Another thing that the conversation seems to conflate is wages and cost of energy. I am all for paying more for ‘bad’ energy. I am also aware that my wage buying power has not kept pace with inflation for much of the last 40yrs. And I am lucky in that I have managed to increase my earning potential with career advancement, and have a relatively simple recreational/technological/social need - this is not the case with most middle class households. So ya, I can separate the argument that I am underpaid for my labour contribution, while also supporting higher gas prices and the like to address environmental concerns.
    its been awhile since i was out of town and i don't know if coms have upgraded but it wasnt far outa town maybe 10min before you had bad internet I've been seeing something about the BC gov upgradin every bodies internet?

and then yeah definalty the fuel adds up so i can see EV getting popular

i had buddy living in a old log cabin in Quick, he said sure the mortage was < 400 a month but I'm spending > 600 a month on fuel
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Is there a place in the USA that’s cheap to live and has good skiing

its been awhile since i was out of town and i don't know if coms have upgraded but it wasnt far outa town maybe 10min before you had bad internet I've been seeing something about the BC gov upgradin every bodies internet?
    I’ve got fibre optic within 400m of my house. Been installed the year before I moved here. It connects to one point only - the high school, with all the govt and municipal offices connecting to that via wifi. Telus won’t bring beyond that cause the population doesn’t support their profit calculations. Govt has promised better rural internet access for the past 20yrs, but they handed the transmission infrastructure to private industry years ago, and they are masters of taking govt money and putting the majority into the piggy banks of exec and major shareholders. Same with our electric infrastructure. Cell coverage has improved along the major hwy corridors, cause the city voters also travel those routes. I’ve little faith in seeing further improvement in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I assume this is directed at me ???

You forget I know your address. I just looked up your house on Zillow and it’s worth more than my island.

Snnaapp..

starlink is a game changer in the remote internet world. say what you will about elon being a moron, etc, the service gets 100+ up and and like 30 down with 30 ms ping. That's plenty for your zoom calls.

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    I've been skiing Mount Hood, all three hills, since 1997. Skied New England from age 5 to 1984 before moving to CU Boulder for, well, skiing. I have skied at Sugarloaf. But never at Saddleback. While there may be some good steeps at Meadows such as God's Wall, different aspects in Heather, and the upper bowl at skibowl. There's nothing like the steeps I cut my teeth on the front four at Stowe, Castlerock at Sugarbush, Bear Mountain at Killington and all over upper Sugarloaf.... when there was a gondola. Oregon's mountains are volcanoes and are mellow in comparison to much of the terrain throughout the country. Plus, the steeps on hood are mostly short... leading to cat tracks and flats or chokes to get back to the lift. I prefer a sustained fall line from top to bottom.

Don't get your shorts in a bunch K2.

I don't claim to know anything more than what I know. This thread intrigued me because, with six years till retirement, I think about this often.
    Just genuinely curious. You said Mainers, which made me think of just Maine. There are some steeps in the NE, not as many in Maine as other states

I am no Meadows apologist. Learned to ski at T-Flats, worked at McMeadows, son raced at Rainbowl and I've visited Mt Brokenchair almost every year since 1980

A 40* slope on the Ice Coast will ski harder than a 45* slope of Cascade concrete

Ogden FTMFW

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    starlink is a game changer in the remote internet world. say what you will about elon being a moron, etc, the service gets 100+ up and and like 30 down with 30 ms ping. That's plenty for your zoom calls.
    It is definitely an improvement over Xplornet, but $700 hardware and $300 for prof installation (most people locally have not found it DIY as advertised) is a bit to swallow for non-work expense use. $130/mo usage so far, but let’s just say I seen utilities suck people in before with a ‘low’ entrance cost, then a couple years later be hit with massive price increases coupled with a lesser product delivery.
    Time will tell, but so far it is an improvement to available options.

I don’t think working in Canada is in the cards for IAS.

Powderhorn and the worlds best peaches would be a nice life.

https://powderhorn.com/downloads/Pow...644.1646969927

SSSSSSSssssssh
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

This place has been for sale for a while. Property comes with a job.
    https://www.spoutspringsskiarea.com/

Here’s an idea. Find a place with great skiing and make more money. Anyone who tells you money is the root of all evil doesn’t have any.
    They say money can't buy happiness? Look at the fucking smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby.
    Best of all, be liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
    Not to pile on, and very hesitant to even post, BUT I don't know many normal working people who get 100 days a year. 100 days a year is always a pretty incredible feat. Sacrifice your career, your a partner/family, your home life, your dreams outside of sliding on snow a bunch. Living close to a hill is simply one part of a pretty demanding equation. 100 days/year don't come easy. And normal working people don't ski 100 days/year. Thinking otherwise is lying to yourself.

In reality I'm very lame and probably have just given up on the dream.
    This. I mean, maybe I'm lame as well, but I have a hard time imagining 100 days of skiing being worthwhile, let alone a non-negotiable priority, to any non-competitive adult, "normal working people" or not, unless it was a wide variety including XC and plenty of backcountry, along with some downhill. That, or I suppose traveling to a considerable variety of different resorts, which doesn't really fit the "normal working people" model.

I guess I'll try to dodge the "fuck you" response by saying that if you've found the dream solution, that's great, and I salute you. If not, maybe consider expanding your radius to three times as far, 90 miles or something, still well within day-trip range, and ski three times as much each day (eat your sandwich on the lift like I do) on one third as many days. Then, maybe, you can address some of the other life priorities and come up with a solution that you can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    ....I don't even care that much about skiing anymore....
    thats crazy talk

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by nord View Post
    This place has been for sale for a while. Property comes with a job.
    https://www.spoutspringsskiarea.com/
    We drove by there a few weeks ago. They get a lot of snow. You could live in Elgin

I live 30 minutes away from skiing. I live two hours away from GOOD skiing. Works for me and keeps real estate prices in check.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    We drove by there a few weeks ago. They get a lot of snow. You could live in Elgin
    You could live in Walla Walla. Maybe KQ's got a room to rent!