Tyrolia Protector-Anyone Ski It Yet?

Daughter just blew ACL and I think the collective would agree that if a binding could legitimately decrease this injury and not significantly sacrifice performance it would be a game changer for the industry.

I have skied long enough to see many binding designs come and go (google Spademan young padawans) but it is unusual for a mainstream company like Head/Tyrolia to introduce a radical new design even if it is a derivative of Knee Binding. I would think that the usually stellar Tyrolia toe piece would keep prereleases to a minimum.

Any Mags ski the late prototypes? Impressions?

Is it for sale? Similar situation - good buddy blew his ACL on day 2 of this season and has us all scared of the same.

I skied it at the tests. They nailed the design.

https://www.skitalk.com/ams/tyrolia-...-bindings.220/
    Click. Point. Chute.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    I skied it at the tests. They nailed the design.

https://www.skitalk.com/ams/tyrolia-...-bindings.220/
    We'll see how it sells next year, but we dropped Knee bindings for the same reason you mentioned in your review: the little old ladies (and little old men) that wanted it couldn't get in to the damn thing. I'm not a fan of single cam heels, and I definitely am skeptical about Tyrolia's first stab at one, on top of all the lateral release mech. Time will tell.

Came here to say if anyone Phil did....nailed it!
    Training for Alpental

More moving parts = more complexity = more possible points of failure, but I’m all for a brand actually trying something new with bindings beyond fancy paint jobs.

Side note: Still wondering why Marker never took what they learned with the “lateral” (rotational) release from the Kingpin heel and incorporated into an alpine binding.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post

Side note: Still wondering why Marker never took what they learned with the “lateral” (rotational) release from the Kingpin heel and incorporated into an alpine binding.
    I’m no mechanical engineer, but I thought the Kingpin heel allowed lateral release in part because the traditional tech toe did not? I believe that the challenge in building a binding with lateral release from both the toe and the heel is that binding retention/prerelease become a major issue?

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    I’m no mechanical engineer, but I thought the Kingpin heel allowed lateral release in part because the traditional tech toe did not? I believe that the challenge in building a binding with lateral release from both the toe and the heel is that binding retention/prerelease become a major issue?
    That's definitely the reason the Kingpin has that type of heel and the challenge in incorporating something like it into an alpine binding (i.e. the different leverage forces that have to be taken into account depending on where the release force is being applied on the foot.) My point has always been that it just seemed like a good first step into potentially innovative release tech, but they seem content with not advancing it any further.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I'm not a fan of single cam heels, and I definitely am skeptical about Tyrolia's first stab at one, on top of all the lateral release mech. Time will tell.
    They've been putting a single cam heel in the Attack 11 for 5 years or so.