Peter Landsman spent 22 years to photograph, ride and document every US chairlift

On first

Pretty impressive. I wonder how many joints he smoked?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

That is insane. And cool.

How do you visit 10 ski areas a week while working full time at Jackson?

Hickory hill is a nasty steep little throwback hill in the adk.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    How do you visit 10 ski areas a week while working full time at Jackson?
    Right?

I'm just picturing him flying across the country to some random New England ski hill to ski all their lifts on his day off, and then they're like "oh, we only run those other 2 lifts on the weekends."

Definitely an impressive feat.

He didn’t ride the lifts here unless he came twice.
    Photos are from mid summer, all the chairs are removed from one lift.

Still a massive achievement, but riding every lift is an extra step of dealing with all that bs of lifts closed, hitting it during ski season, all that.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Right?

I'm just picturing him flying across the country to some random New England ski hill to ski all their lifts on his day off, and then they're like "oh, we only run those other 2 lifts on the weekends."

Definitely an impressive feat.
    That is what I was thinking. Went to Mt Eyak in the summer. That is fishing season and there is usually nobody around. He must of called and made an appointment.
    off your knees Louie

((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

I love liftblog.com. I sometimes spend a couple hours reading it.

Pretty sure this is why I have few friends.

But when conversation rarely turns to chairlifts, where they came from, who made them, thanks to this dude, I know my shit, in a superficial way at least.

Goal oriented individual.

fkna
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Super cool and fun to see Peter get some well deserved recognition! As his brother, I can attest to his dedication to this project. When people hear about what he does, they always say bet you haven’t been to _______ mountain, its tiny and in the middle of nowhere. He then goes on to have a great conversation about his trip there and rattles off lift specs. As someone who is much more motivated by skiing pow, even after all these years I still can’t believe it when I see it is dumping in Jackson and I give him a call to talk skiing only to learn he is in another Midwest state on a ski lift trip.

Guessing he didn't get to ride one of Magic's chairs...
    [quote][//quote]

Liftblog’s awesome. But yeah I think some of the visits were in summer without the ability to ride, unless as IAS said he doubled up (maybe b/c of the site, he’s famous enough in the maintenance world that they’d come out and fire it up for him). The pics of hidden valley (mo) are all summer and most don’t run.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Incredible feat and like others I am totally scratching my head at how that's possible with a full time winter job. I don't know how I could pull that off with unlimited money and no job.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwaskier View Post
    Super cool and fun to see Peter get some well deserved recognition! As his brother, I can attest to his dedication to this project. When people hear about what he does, they always say bet you haven’t been to _______ mountain, its tiny and in the middle of nowhere. He then goes on to have a great conversation about his trip there and rattles off lift specs. As someone who is much more motivated by skiing pow, even after all these years I still can’t believe it when I see it is dumping in Jackson and I give him a call to talk skiing only to learn he is in another Midwest state on a ski lift trip.
    Wow. Small world.

Now tell him to get to work replacing Thunder, and don’t fuck with Sublette.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Incredible feat and like others I am totally scratching my head at how that's possible with a full time winter job. I don't know how I could pull that off with unlimited money and no job.
    Seriously. The logistics of even finding every little ski hill in the country is mind blowing to me.

I just ended up spending over an hour just skimming through liftblog.com Impressive work there. As someone with a casual interest in lifts I could spend all day reading.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Wonder if he's ridden all the sightseeing trams/lifts as well?
    I think so, I was just looking around his site and saw this one. https://liftblog.com/sky-glider-western-playland-nm/

A "ski" lift on the Mexican boarder isn't something I ever thought I'd read about lol

Interesting that he is very, very careful in touching upon Vail and associates, and uses ‘soft glove’ criticism. I imagine his future prospects as a consultant are bright, certainly wouldn’t want to burn any bridges in this tiny industry.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I can’t fault the guy for that. I love reading LiftBlog.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by ccwaskier View Post
    Thanks for chiming in and offering that perspective. I'm a big fan of passion, whatever it may be. Mine is definitely to ride lifts with the intention of enjoying the down.

((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Most lift supes at Jh suck and move on after they've made enough frenemies in the lift lines.
    Peter, on the other hand has stuck it out and has a reputation as the guy to go to if you have an issue. He has shown a sense of concern for the locals without getting too buddy buddy with us. His temperament is really ideal and even though we are often on opposite sides of the corporate ropeline, he's always shown his cool.
    I remember when he first showed up, quiet and kinda unseen. Now, he's the man who gets the respect when he speaks.
    Kudos, Peter.

I didn't read the article so... if he's been at it for 22 years and only been at JH for half of that, he's had time to pack some places in before working the vill.