Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wanted in SLC/PC Area: Wide skins to practice cutting

Anybody in the SLC/PAC area have old skins for wide skis (wider than 100mm) that they're willing to trade for beer/very small amount of cash. Want to practice cutting skins before cutting into the new skins I bought.

Thanks!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

just fucking cut the skins, jong. it's not scary

get a sharp ass razor blade and do it

i can help if you want, i've cut dozens of pairs. it's not hard.

You're over thinking it. If you're worried, get one of those offset trim tools from pomoca or contour and watch a couple YouTube videos.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

yep, got the G3 tool. just being typical engineer type.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    yep, got the G3 tool. just being typical engineer type.
    Youre making us good engineers look bad.
    You took too much man, too much, too much

If you want to use your G3 tool don't blow it on a crappy pair of practice skins. All the cutting tools get dull and gummed up after cutting a pair and are basically shot.

well, this is the premier destination for overthinking on the internet

you can practice on your own skins, just offset them as if you were cutting for a wider ski

I (over)think a hooked utility blade is the proper tool for the job https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Hook...ACK/5000237835

G3 skin cutter is idiot-proof. Even an engineer will have no trouble with it

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    If you want to use your G3 tool don't blow it on a crappy pair of practice skins. All the cutting tools get dull and gummed up after cutting a pair and are basically shot.
    yeah the real secret is to always use a FRESH razor or FRESH tool for every pair. it's worth the investment.

the g3 or pomoca tools are nice but i've done plenty of skins with either razors or the tools and they're both the same. all i will say is that the bd tools are shit

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    G3 skin cutter is idiot-proof. Even an engineer will have no trouble with it
    This ^^ Completely idiot-proof. I was a total noob, first try-only try when I cut these skins with the G3 tool. Just do it. Get out of your own head.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Name:  test-in-production-meme-2.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  61.6 KB

If you're worried about it, take the skins to Skimo Co and they will trim for $15. I think that is a very fair price since they do a good job.

If you're worried about it, take the skins to Skimo Co and they will trim for $15. I think that is a very fair price since they do a good job.
    Thanks for suggestion!

See if they’ll hold your hand and guide you through the cutting motion. Take a video it’ll be just like Ghost.

IDK why everyone in this thread is being so obnoxious. For all of you who cut your own skins, good for you, but I bet once in a while you screw up and your skins end up somewhat wonky. I've skied with some of you.. I know what your skins look like

But don’t, under any circumstances cut your own foreskin

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    But don’t, under any circumstances cut your own foreskin
    You got Bris money?!

Just bustin balls, Benneke, no ill will. It is ridiculously easy though especially with the G3 skins and tools. As long as you don’t put your skins on backwards there’s basically no way to screw it up.

If it was BD where you cut to length and use their shitty skin cutter that’s a bit more involved.

Sometimes you just gotta send it. This is one of those times.

You’re not gonna slip and cut the whole skin in half and set your house on fire. Unless you know someone who has done that in which case I stand corrected
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    just fucking cut the skins, jong. it's not scary

get a sharp ass razor blade and do it

i can help if you want, i've cut dozens of pairs. it's not hard.
    Thanks. Views this thread w/ a really?? mentality and was glad to see this as the first reply. Mistakes happen but it is hard to really fuck it up other than beating your perfectionist self up for not getting an A+
    Uno mas

Was really gunning for that A+. But seriously, don’t mind fucking up.., just dont want it to cost $150 (for new set of skins).

And if I do, I’m sure you’ll all contribute to my gofundme right?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ok here’s a how to do it. I’m sure there are a million YouTube videos showing exactly how to do this but here goes anyway.

1. Determine the forward tip of your ski. Turn ski so the base faces up.

2. Determine forward tip of the skin. I’m guessing you have G3 skins so this is the part with the two metal clips, not the long skinny plastic tail and single clip.

3. Place skin tip over the ski tip. Stretch the rest of the skin down the ski. Sticky side down on the ski base. Try to get it with even overlap left/right.

4. Take a calipers or maybe your eyeballs and measure the sides of the skin overhanging your ski. Try to get it even on both sides so your cut will be even.

5. Starting at the tip, slide your G3 skin cutter down the side of the ski from front to back.

6. Bask in the glory of your accomplishment.

There is literally no way to fuck this up unless you are a total idiot. Worst case scenario is the skin is a little lopsided. This is not the end of the world. The skin will work perfectly regardless. Just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Name:  test-in-production-meme-2.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  61.6 KB
    Ah, a software engineer. Now it makes sense.

I know what your skins look like
    Does it fucking matter? I've cut skins with the old BD tool while drunk and they look like a modern art piece with all kinds of wavy spots and a few sharp angles. They work just as well as skins cut by someone using a laser-guided Japanese steel blade. Treating skin cutting like rocket surgery isn't going to make them grip or glide any better... And if you're concerned about the looks of pieces of carpets glued under you skis you might be spending too much time on your back instead of upright in the skinner.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

The first time I cut skins I was like the OP. Until I realized that this was truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Does it fucking matter? I've cut skins with the old BD tool while drunk and they look like a modern art piece with all kinds of wavy spots and a few sharp angles. They work just as well as skins cut by someone using a laser-guided Japanese steel blade. Treating skin cutting like rocket surgery isn't going to make them grip or glide any better... And if you're concerned about the looks of pieces of carpets glued under you skis you might be spending too much time on your back instead of upright in the skinner.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

real skimo racer use a single edge razor for the cleanest cut.