Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    How does over-snow travel constitute trespassing? In most western states, you don't own the water that falls on your land so if you can cross private property without ever being on anything but snow, how is that different than being allowed to float a river where the bottom is private property?

If you're just walking on a few feet of water, which is not owned by the property owner, but happens to be sitting atop their land, that seems like a bit of a grey area.
    I tried this angle once in our neck of the woods. It didn't fly.

"one who floats upon the waters of a river or stream over or through private property, without touching the stream banks or beds, does not commit a criminal trespass.” (AG Alpha No. NR AD AGALA, 1983.)
    However, as noted in the opinion, the memorandum does not attempt to address the issue of civil trespass. Furthermore it does not apply to a lake, pond or other enclosed water which cannot be characterized as a river or a stream."

Another case I remember, talked about whether or not the waters were navigable by craft - kinda missing the point but setting precedent anyway.
    north bound horse.

Anyone who thinks this is acceptable, I'd like to see go skin up Squalisades and drop KT before the lifts pop.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    How does over-snow travel constitute trespassing? In most western states, you don't own the water that falls on your land so if you can cross private property without ever being on anything but snow, how is that different than being allowed to float a river where the bottom is private property?

If you're just walking on a few feet of water, which is not owned by the property owner, but happens to be sitting atop their land, that seems like a bit of a grey area.
    DUDE!!!!

Thats a monumentally stupid post.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

that’s his forte….

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    DUDE!!!!

That's a monumentally stupid post.
    Let's be honest though, we all enjoyed it.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Let's be honest though, we all enjoyed it.
    It's something out of a Simpsons episode. A good old Lionel Hutz defense!

That’s exactly how it is in the alps, on snow no trespassing. Was skiing the secret chutes of Le Lavancher in 89’ with some locals, when I asked if we were trespassing as we were skiing right next to houses, they said if your on snow you cannot trespass. I’ve heard it many times since.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudimatt7 View Post
    That’s exactly how it is in the alps, on snow no trespassing. Was skiing the secret chutes of Le Lavancher in 89’ with some locals, when I asked if we were trespassing as we were skiing right next to houses, they said if your on snow you cannot trespass. I’ve heard it many times since.
    It's not trespassing because private property and trespassing laws are different in CH, it's not because "you're on the snow"...

One of my favorite places/dates to ski is Thursday at Lost Trail in Montana. Same as the OP, they have been closed all week. I know if I drove to Lost Trail and found out a bunch of dudes had tracked it up I would be pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

their social media post definitely came across as grouchy; but these guys who tracked it out should have followed the rules

out here in the east Black Mountain in NH just shut down all uphill travel for good due to trespassing issues and people not paying $10 for uphill passes; it's always a small few who ruin things for everyone else so I understand that Eagle's gotta set the precedent here.. and like someone else already said here, there's a lot of other options out there for places to tour
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    It's not trespassing because private property and trespassing laws are different in CH, it's not because "you're on the snow"...
    I believe they're similar to laws in Norway. When I was there I was told you could ski through someone's yard with no worries.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I believe they're similar to laws in Norway. When I was there I was told you could ski through someone's yard with no worries.
    Same in Scotland - called the "right to roam". Pretty common

Quote Originally Posted by Boosh View Post
    their social media post definitely came across as grouchy; but these guys who tracked it out should have followed the rules

out here in the east Black Mountain in NH just shut down all uphill travel for good due to trespassing issues and people not paying $10 for uphill passes; it's always a small few who ruin things for everyone else so I understand that Eagle's gotta set the precedent here.. and like someone else already said here, there's a lot of other options out there for places to tour
    Just read an article linked from elsewhere on here I think, that it was more like 100-500 people showing up, not paying for passes and bringing booze onto the property which is specifically against the rules, given their liquor license.

Yes, but you probably can’t walk through someone’s tomato patch that’s ready for harvest.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Boosh View Post

Along similar lines, just skied Taos this week. They have had free RV lot forever. Now 25$ per night. Fucking scumbags posting up shitting in the parking lot, diapers garbage etc. I hate people.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Same in Scotland - called the "right to roam". Pretty common
    In the USofA only the buffalo have the right to roam.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    In the USofA only the buffalo have the right to roam.
    As long as they don't roam too far outside of YNP: https://www.wyomingnewsnow.tv/2022/0...t-bison-herds/

My understanding of the Euro model is that they don't have public lands like we do (USFS, BLM, etc.) but they have the right to roam, where as long as you aren't causing any damage or harm, you can cross anyone's land without permission. There is probably more nuance that our Euro Mags can expand on, but that is how I understand it.

As long as they don't roam too far outside of YNP: https://www.wyomingnewsnow.tv/2022/0...t-bison-herds/
    Damn, next the deer and the antelope won't be allowed to play.

My understanding of the Euro model is that they don't have public lands like we do (USFS, BLM, etc.) but they have the right to roam, where as long as you aren't causing any damage or harm, you can cross anyone's land without permission. There is probably more nuance that our Euro Mags can expand on, but that is how I understand it.
    Can be very different in each country. As mentioned Scotland always had freedom to roam (in theory - gamekeepers on shooting estates might not agree). England and Wales, until 2000 , were completely different - even on unfenced moorland you were only legally allowed on established rights of way (and it wasn't unusual to find locked gates or stiles blocked with barbed wire on legal rights of way or on farmland to find them plowed up or covered with crops). Hence the mass trespass on Kinder Scout in 1932.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Anyone who thinks this is acceptable, I'd like to see go skin up Squalisades and drop KT before the lifts pop.
    I have actually done that. Before it was open for the season. Skied chute 75. got a few looks when I was skiing out the groomer. No one said anything.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Damn, next the deer and the antelope won't be allowed to play.
    At least not on "private" ski hills.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Get off my lawn ya dirty hippy
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Get off my lawn ya dirty hippy
    lmao, grandpa shoulda sprayed them with a hose
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

The skiers shouldn't of trespassed.. but UGH the morally superior Eagle Point statement

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

yeah, talking about "sacred tradition for the most passionate guests" is gag me with a spoon cringe worthy.