Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Lucky to survive

"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

wishing him the best on his recovery. Always carry heat packs.
    off your knees Louie

The La Platas are scary, have definitely gotten into some questionable spots, including in that drainage...
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

A good day to do something else.

An aside from the accident: that was an unusually comprehensive and informed article for a newspaper.

Excellent article indeed. I have lived in this area a long time now but have spent almost zero time exploring in the La Platas during the winter. I've always waited till spring to do any skiing in that range. They are a tough place to get your barrings in and way more "out there" than the typical areas off the 550 corridor.

I've heard nothing but good things about the victim and wish him a speedy recovery.

Found out last night that a close friend of mine was the partner/rescuer on this one. Have no additional details to provide. At this point I've only reached out to offer support. Obviously a pretty intense event to process.

I've only been down here three winters, but skied the La Platas a lot that first year when San Juan County was closed.

One of my biggest bc mistakes was dropping into this drainage in the spring under report-safe conditions, the trees are so inviting.

Then ended up on a rotten south face trying to avoid terrain traps in the creek, had to ski a waterfall solo with the pup. Definitely one of those, oh shit, I need to get out of here as quickly and safely as possible moments.

This is a horrifying reminder of the possible consequences of such mistakes.
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by miserywhip View Post
    I've only been down here three winters, but skied the La Platas a lot that first year when San Juan County was closed.

One of my biggest bc mistakes was dropping into this drainage in the spring under report-safe conditions, the trees are so inviting.

Then ended up on a rotten south face trying to avoid terrain traps in the creek, had to ski a waterfall solo with the pup. Definitely one of those, oh shit, I need to get out of here as quickly and safely as possible moments.

This is a horrifying reminder of the possible consequences of such mistakes.
    yeah I've skied La Platas alot, including that run many times. Those mountains are locally infamous for their hellish exits through brush and drainages- we always joke that if you want to scare noobs off backcountry skiing, take them to La Platas! Very glad to hear they made it out alive (don't know the skiers personally). Interesting to read that his airbag & beacon probably made the difference this time, don't often see that.

https://www.avalanche.state.co.us/ca...=808&accfm=inv

Full report was posted today. A lot of good stuff to unpack. Seems like the fact that they had cell service made a huge difference in the outcome of this incident.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	408412

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    https://www.avalanche.state.co.us/ca...=808&accfm=inv

Full report was posted today. A lot of good stuff to unpack. Seems like the fact that they had cell service made a huge difference in the outcome of this incident.
    Yeah, good thing. Wonder if a 2 way inreach would have had the same outcome. Definitely seemed like the outcome would have been different with much of a delay in rescue, even if SAR had tried to take him out on foot/snowmobile.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Yeah, good thing. Wonder if a 2 way inreach would have had the same outcome. Definitely seemed like the outcome would have been different with much of a delay in rescue, even if SAR had tried to take him out on foot/snowmobile.
    I think they made it very clear in the report that if Flight for Life didn't make that call, things would have been very different. I wouldn't hang my hat on Garmin for getting that line of communication open in time.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I think they made it very clear in the report that if Flight for Life didn't make that call, things would have been very different. I wouldn't hang my hat on Garmin for getting that line of communication open in time.
    When Brittany had her accident it was 7 minutes for Garmin to reach Park County sheriff's office after the initial SOS. Less than that to start pinging me, but at that point I was driving and knew cell service wasn't too far away. Fairly respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    When Brittany had her accident it was 7 minutes for Garmin to reach Park County sheriff's office after the initial SOS. Less than that to start pinging me, but at that point I was driving and knew cell service wasn't too far away. Fairly respectable.
    That is quite heartening to hear. Surprises me. Hope she's all healed up.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

That really was an excellent article.

Update:
    Durango man recounts avalanche, harrowing rescue and road to recovery

In hindsight, Henk looks back on the accident and questions some of his decision-making. With limited time for recreation and with climate change altering winters, he said he felt pressure to get into the backcountry, forcing him to take greater risk.
    “The main thing I’ve learned is that when you read that avy report you’re better off going ‘All right, maybe I take this weekend off,’” Henk said.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

As someone who has treated femur fractures and spine injuries inbounds... treating an open femur with a spine injury in the backcountry is something I don't want to think about. Kudos to the partner, Flight for Life and SAR for keeping this dude alive and in this good of shape.

Seriously impressive story. I've scoffed at people that have carried tourniquets as part of their first aid kit but this story makes me think about having one in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    yeah I've skied La Platas alot, including that run many times. Those mountains are locally infamous for their hellish exits through brush and drainages- we always joke that if you want to scare noobs off backcountry skiing, take them to La Platas! Very glad to hear they made it out alive (don't know the skiers personally). Interesting to read that his airbag & beacon probably made the difference this time, don't often see that.
    I initially thought it was the Madden trees from the image with similar aspect. It's been eons since I've been to Parrot. Where do you start from?
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Seriously impressive story. I've scoffed at people that have carried tourniquets as part of their first aid kit but this story makes me think about having one in the bag.
    Both of my wilderness medicine classes in the past several years (WFA and WFR) have strongly advocated for tourniquets.
    This seems to be the gold standard. 2.7oz https://www.narescue.com/combat-appl...uet-c-a-t.html

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Both of my wilderness medicine classes in the past several years (WFA and WFR) have strongly advocated for tourniquets.
    This seems to be the gold standard. 2.7oz https://www.narescue.com/combat-appl...uet-c-a-t.html
    Thanks. That's the one I was looking at so good to hear some confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    I initially thought it was the Madden trees from the image with similar aspect. It's been eons since I've been to Parrot. Where do you start from?
    Kroeger campground (couple miles up the road), start on a road and then up the ridge. There's usually a pretty good skin track- it's in the local BC skiing guide books.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    Kroeger campground (couple miles up the road), start on a road and then up the ridge. There's usually a pretty good skin track- it's in the local BC skiing guide books.
    Thought so. Is it as brushy as Madden Creek?
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Thanks. That's the one I was looking at so good to hear some confirmation.
    Bet you have one or two Voile straps.