WTB: Kiteboarding gear

Hi all,

Wanting to dip my toes into kiteboarding this year, anybody looking to part with their used/inexpensive gear? I think I need the whole kit and caboodle minus a wetsuit.

I'm located in N. Seattle, but wouldn't be opposed to shipping gear.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Hi all,

Wanting to dip my toes into kiteboarding this year, anybody looking to part with their used/inexpensive gear? I think I need the whole kit and caboodle minus a wetsuit.

I'm located in N. Seattle, but wouldn't be opposed to shipping gear.

Thanks in advance!
    Don't know if you plan to learn by yourself but that's a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippo View Post
    Don't know if you plan to learn by yourself but that's a bad idea.
    Seconded. 2 lessons is worth not dying.

If you've wake boarded, that'll be enough to go out with friends in very low traffic areas. Not enough to go alone or different conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

2-3 lessons to be safe, then you can try to figure out on your own. We see too many kooks putting themselves and others in danger. I don’t think you would start paragliding without taking a lesson and that’s not that different. For the equipment you are right to want something used (you will crash your kite often) but don’t buy something too old (I would not buy something of 5+ year).

Kiting is fun. Get recent gear. Take lessons.

I taught myself, but that was when it was first starting and after racing sailboats from about age 8 and being decent wake boarder.

Sketchy to learn on your own.

Take lessons then look for gear. Should be plenty of used gear in the northwest.

Have fun! I am jealous

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

i've got a full kite boarding setup in great shape (basically new, elbow injury kept me from using it after 3-4 times out)
    Liquid force NV 12.0 kite
    Liquid force bar w/new lines
    Liquid force drive board 140 cm
    Ion riot 6 harness (medium)
    Ride engine impact vest/flotation (large)
    WMFG pump

i'm a bit north of you so would have to ship, drop me a line if interested

Name:  board.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  89.0 KB
    Name:  impact.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  95.8 KB
    Name:  kit.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  152.9 KB
    Name:  kite.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  142.8 KB
    Name:  riot.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  106.5 KB

Thanks all for the advice. Think I will spring for a lesson.

Wendigo - Thanks for posting, that looks pretty perfect. Dropping you a note

I used to windsurf a ton then stopped when the kids arrived. I wanted to start kiting this past spring and was thinking about gear, but lessons were booked out for months here on Cape Cod.
    So get some lessons lined up, availability could be an issue.
    I just went running and mountain biking instead.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

More annoying preaching but +1 to taking lessons. As a former instructor I can’t tell you how many times a single 3 hour lesson has saved a brand new kiter from serious injury to themself or an innocent beachgoer or how many times I’ve had to interrupt a lesson to help someone in a bad situation because they were trying to teach themself

It’s not like skiing where you can go flail around and figure it out. If you simply rig the kite incorrectly you can end up getting dragged into the parking lot and taking out a bunch of kids on the way

Best sport ever once you get it though. Also if you buy a beat ass old kite you’ll just replace it right away and it won’t be worth it. Take some lessons where gear is included and then get a decent used setup from no more than 4 years ago
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I definitely annoyingly preached

I had a few walks of shame. Kitemare tangled swims. Hitchikes in the back of trucks. Never a near death rigging related issue or a boost near inanimate objects. That being said, without extensive sailing experience (wavesailing, racing, freestyle, plus boardsport experience, kiting without lessons could prove disastrous.

Take videos and share!

It is a super fun sport! No other feeling like boosting over 30 feet vertical jumps with secondary lifts from wind gusts. It feels like flying through air in a child's dreams.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I had over 10 years of experience in sailing /windsurfing and wakeboarding when I first started in the early 2000’. At that time kiteboarding was still a marginal sport and there was no school. I learned by myself in open water with friends doing the safety with a boat. I got few issues when kiting on my own (bad idea), you feel very lonely when you drift parallel to / but far from the shore with your lines entangled. Lessons will give you the basic knowledge and the good reflexes to have in case of problems. More important, it will give you confidence and help you to stay calm when shit will happen (because it will).

If you have the budget you could book a kite trip in a foreign country to get a week of lessons for fairly cheap compared to US prices. From France Dakhla was a classic, Brazil (Jericoacoara), Caribbean (cabarete), Mexico (La ventana) could be good options from the USA.

Also, start in low wind with a big kite (12m), you will get another one (7-8m) for stronger wind when you will have improved.

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    i've got a full kite boarding setup in great shape (basically new, elbow injury kept me from using it after 3-4 times out)
    Liquid force NV 12.0 kite
    Liquid force bar w/new lines
    Liquid force drive board 140 cm
    Ion riot 6 harness (medium)
    Ride engine impact vest/flotation (large)
    WMFG pump

i'm a bit north of you so would have to ship, drop me a line if interested

Name:  board.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  89.0 KB
    Name:  impact.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  95.8 KB
    Name:  kit.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  152.9 KB
    Name:  kite.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  142.8 KB
    Name:  riot.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  106.5 KB
    FWIW this is a solid starting setup. The NV is a nice forgiving do it all kite and 12m is a good first size, prob will want to add in a 9m soon too

If you have any gear or more tangential kiting questions feel free to PM me. I spent years working in the kite industry (yes there is actually a kite industry)
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably