Question for the shop guys, stone grind defect

Took my wife’s snowboard to a local shop for a base grind and ended up with a big depression and ridge in it. Here is the image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3237.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	407815

Talked to the shop and they are making the situation right but can’t figure out what happened. Any thoughts?

Backstory: My wife got a new snowboard during a recent trip and had significant glide issues the first day out. Took it to a shop in the area and had a quick wax done. Things were marginally better the next day but not great.

Once back home I cleaned it off and hot waxed it. It was strange and felt much rougher than any other base in the household. She had it out in Utah last week and it was no better. Something was definitely wrong.

Took it to the local shop ( who deals with this brand) and talked to the head tech. He thought it needed a stone grind to give it a better finish thinking it was not good from the factory. In hindsight I should have pursued a warranty claim before he touched it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It’s going to be a hard thing to know without seeing it in person

One other note: there is a visible drag along the length, inline with the depression. It is pretty deep such that it would take a lot of material removal to make flat again

I realize this is next to impossible to diagnose over the interweb. I am more curious than anything

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It could have slipped off the side of the stone or got fed into the stone off centered/ overhanging.

That was my thought too

Sometimes, depending on the machine, and how convex or concave a snowboard is, rubber strips get taped to the top sheet in certain areas and it will create more pressure from the feed wheel to the stone on the base of the snow board. Obviously that can’t be done with every grinder, but that’s a possibility, as snowboards typically aren’t flat and usually concave from binding pull and the overall width. And when using said rubber strip trick, shit will go wrong.