Thread: Custom bike

Custom bike

This year my business partners and I celebrate 20 years in business. All ride Ave the others have been considering buying gravel bikes this year. Somebody mentioned in a separate thread getting a custom Ti frame from Waltly and it started me thinking - how cool would it be to celebrate the 20 years by getting a custom bike built and I see a Ti bike as something we would probably own forever.

As far as geo I'll probably look at replicating something from a reputable manufacturer but there are a few things I'm curious about:

1. I'd like a versatile BB size that would allow for running a variety of crank spindle sizes. Is an English threaded BB the most versatile option?
    2. Is a 1.25" to 1.5" tapered headset typical for gravel? Planning on a carbon fork but trying to consider what could happen in the future for bike packing, etc.
    3. I'd be looking for 4 full groupsets. This seems like this might be pretty hard due to supply chain issues. Where would you start? For four bikes would manufacturers like Reynolds or others be willing to do a small group buy with a discount?

I've never done this before and I still need to get buy in from my partners but I'm open to any suggestions as I start putting together ideas.

Thanks!

Seth

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

These seem like great questions for your builder.

I know some builders are currently backed up even further than usual because of supply chain issues. If I had the cash to spend on a new, custom frame, at least one of the people I would consider isn't even accepting spots in line because he is having trouble getting frames out the door due to the parts supply. I would be prepared to wait a couple of three years.

If you’re going with a Ti frame you want a thread in Bottom Bracket.
    And if you’re getting a thread BB you should go with a T47 BB.
    Whoa whoa, before everyone sharpens the pitch forks, and lights the torches….
    We all agree that a threaded BB is best, and agree the larger sized (46mm) BB shell junction gives the frame a stronger structure, so why not go for the T47 BB.
    The T47 can be used with any width BB shell, from 68mm to 132mm. The BB can be configured with outboard bearing or with inboard bearing options. T47 can accommodate bearings for every crank spindle variation: Shimano 24mm, GXP 22/24mm, Dub 29mm, or 30mm.
    The choice would of a BB T47 would future proof your frame.

Is there any way to get custom bikes into the advertising of your products so you can write them off as advertising ?

I know of a guy who is spending stupid money for this purpose
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    If you’re going with a Ti frame you want a thread in Bottom Bracket.
    And if you’re getting a thread BB you should go with a T47 BB.
    Whoa whoa, before everyone sharpens the pitch forks, and lights the torches….
    We all agree that a threaded BB is best, and agree the larger sized (46mm) BB shell junction gives the frame a stronger structure, so why not go for the T47 BB.
    The T47 can be used with any width BB shell, from 68mm to 132mm. The BB can be configured with outboard bearing or with inboard bearing options. T47 can accommodate bearings for every crank spindle variation: Shimano 24mm, GXP 22/24mm, Dub 29mm, or 30mm.
    The choice would of a BB T47 would future proof your frame.
    Thanks Dee! That's exactly the type of info I'm looking for.

Custom bike

Question 2:
    1.5” crown race is the fork standard for almost everything with a disc brake. MTB, Gravel, and Road. Again future proofing the frame.

Q3Group sets:
    Shimano is stocked up, except the new 12s stuff is hard to come by mostly Dura Ace, and certain Ultegra parts.
    I just ordered 2 full Gravel Group sets, and 95% of the parts I selected shipped from the warehouse. I ordered GRX 11s Di2 gravel 1x groupo, wheels and Pro bars/Stems. 2 days after clicking it was at my door.
    SRAM has everything produced, and is on the shelves overseas, just struggling with shipping, but at least the parts actually exists. Their inventory is showing up in North America’s warehouses daily, just slowly piece by piece.
    A good custom builder should have stock by now, or access to either group set.

I have a Ti gravel bike build lined up for next week. I’ll post in the Gravel Nerd Thread. My Athlete has an international event in 12 days, and their frame still haven’t shipped, but I’m promised it by Monday next week….

I agree on T47 and 1.25-1.5" HS. I'd definitely choose both if I were doing a custom Ti frame. IMO a tapered head tube looks better, but you can do 1.5" straight as well.

Waltly does seem to be a reliable choice, but it's not as cheap or quick as it used to be. ("This year" is likely possible, but not this summer.) Others have filled that space, though. I almost went down that road but ultimately decided that I could live with stock geo and wanted a lighter frame than the <$3000 Ti builders could deliver. I bet they can even do a custom laser-cut head tube badge or something for your company.

If bikepacking with them is in your future, I'd suggest adding a lot of bosses now, but don't go nuts because they do add weight and don't look awesome. You might even consider one of the modular dropout options that would allow a sliding setup for a Rohloff or something down the road. Also consider whether you want to allow internal routing for less-common cables like a dropper or dynamo hub.

Dee--are you ordering Shimano stuff direct from them or through QBP or ? Last time I checked Q they had virtually nothing, but I can look at other sources. I don't have a personal login but have access through a friend/client, so it saves some hassle and steps if I know where to look.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Dee--are you ordering Shimano stuff direct from them or through QBP or ? Last time I checked Q they had virtually nothing, but I can look at other sources. I don't have a personal login but have access through a friend/client, so it saves some hassle and steps if I know where to look.
    Direct from Shimano, allocation for Sponsored Athletes and Manufactures/Builders.

So... After doing more research, Lynskey offered me a group buy discount that makes their GR300 within ~$50 of the Waltly option so I'll probably go that route. Anybody have any good, bad or indifferent experience with Lynskey?

I can only add that I ride a 2012 Salsa El Mariachi Ti (built by Lynsky). 10yrs of riding and absolutely love the bike. Everything from MTB and gravel racing (with rigid fork) to bikepacking the Tour Divide a few sections. I'll never get rid of it and figuring out the next bike has been troublesome.

I have 3 custom DEAN Ti’s and I approve of this message. 1 is ~20 years old.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    So... After doing more research, Lynskey offered me a group buy discount that makes their GR300 within ~$50 of the Waltly option so I'll probably go that route. Anybody have any good, bad or indifferent experience with Lynskey?

Nice. Lynskeys are heavy compared with carbon and 3x price Ti frames like Moots, but otherwise they look good to me.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

The tubes they use are rolled and pinned right? I haven’t heard good things about their frames.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Nice. Lynskeys are heavy compared with carbon and 3x price Ti frames like Moots, but otherwise they look good to me.
    Do you mean that Ti is heavy compared with carbon? Otherwise it seems like there is an apples to oranges comparing a brand with a material.

And are you getting a Moots frame with fork for $750? Lynskey's GR300 frameset is $2250 stock. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    The tubes they use are rolled and pinned right? I haven’t heard good things about their frames.
    What have you heard?

Guy I work with is a TIG welder, he welds for some big names. He said they see a lot of frame repairs attributed to that brand.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Have owned a Lynskey Pro 29 twisted tube MTB since 2010. Around 5 years ago frame cracked at seat tube/top tube junction. Shipped back to Lynskey and they repaired and returned it within 2 weeks. Happy with the bike and still ride it now and then. Ride has always been good and great warranty. For a MTB not sure I’d buy another one, but think that’s more of a testament to what’s out on market now. If they have or can build what you want, I think it’s a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, we're well into the process and frames arrive today. Wheels will be built up next week and I'm going to try to order the rest of the parts this weekend.

On my current gravel bike I'm running Mechanical Force 1 w/ a SRAM red crankset w/ power meter and 42t chainring. I have a 9-46 e*thirteen cassette on the back as my rides run the gammut between really steep climbs and some flatter roads. The big jump in gears is *a little* annoying but worth it as I tend to use full cassette. I like the simplicity of a 1x drivetrain.

I've been looking at putting the 1x GRX build on all of these new builds. I'd like to take my SRAM red power meter with me onto the new bike. Are there any recommendations for matching chainring to chain to e*thirteen cassette? I have been running Ultegra chains.

thanks,

Seth

Love that you asked this question as I'm still playing with drivetrain options for my gravel bike. Definitely listening in. I've got an ethirteen 12 spd 9-46 cassette I snagged for cheap, hoping to run a gx axs derailleur with it. Besides the big jump, have you been happy with the ethirteen?

Since you are 11 speed won't that current crank/chain/cassette work w/ GRX just as well or better than w/ Force 1? Thought it was only with the jump to 12spd chains that chainrings/cross compatibility gets wonky.

I think I'm in the minority here but I have liked my e*thirteen cassettes. I have had several 11 speed 9-46 cassettes (3 or 4 that I can count) and I am just putting my first miles on my 9-50 12 speed cassette. I have had one tooth break on one of my first but e*thirteen replaced it without any troubles.

You may be right on 12 speed vs 11 speed. In general my current drivetrain is doing just fine but was curious if I maybe missing some better performance with a chain swap or a different ring. This is the time to make the change.