Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks everyone! Just booked my plane tickets, so it is game on! Oh, and it’s at Gothics.

I went to the Gothics in 2007. It was my favorite trip. Next I want to go to the Bugaboos. Galena was a rugged one. Some people go to the Monashee Lodge just for the tree skiing in Soards Creek, it is famous. You will have fun at the Gothics.

Gothics is supposed to have some pretty insane tree skiing so hoping you score on the conditions!

Few tips:

When stopping, give the guides plenty of room. They hate when clients get too close to them as there's always the chance of a collision.. Stop above them and to the side and make it clear that you won't take them out. Believe it or not, they actually have to remind people not to get near them.

If given the chance to go first, follow the guide. They usually know the best lines.

Be efficient with your skis and your skiing and make sure and don't wander off to get a "clean line". You may end up in a gully or over a ridge and then you f*ck the whole group because you have to work your way over to the LZ and you can cause the whole group to miss the pickup time.

Partner up with somebody who moves at your pace so you don't have to stop periodically to check in on your partner.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

effing do it…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

When I skied with CMH a few years ago, out of K2 Rotor Lodge in Nakusp, they wanted everyone to use shorter strapless poles that they provided. It wasn't really because you need shorter poles in deep snow; it was because in a fall in deep unconsolidated snow or avalanche, you need to do a swimming motion to get to the surface; poles attached to your wrist act as anchors.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    When I skied with CMH a few years ago, out of K2 Rotor Lodge in Nakusp, they wanted everyone to use shorter strapless poles that they provided. It wasn't really because you need shorter poles in deep snow; it was because in a fall in deep unconsolidated snow or avalanche, you need to do a swimming motion to get to the surface; poles attached to your wrist act as anchors.
    But why shorter?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

CMH and General Heli trip Qustion

Because pow is deep?

Anyway, I use Scott slalom baskets in pow. I hate powder baskets. Don’t need shorter poles, you need smaller baskets.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Because pow is deep?

Anyway, I use Scott slalom baskets in pow. I hate powder baskets. Don’t need shorter poles, you need smaller baskets.
    Heh. I lengthen my pole(s) for powder.

Seriously, I prefer longer poles for powder vs hardpack.

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    But why shorter?

I think "shorter poles" (with no wrist straps) for deep pow was the phony excuse that CMH made because they did not want to tell clients that poles with straps are a risky hazard.

All of the CMH areas have tons of tree skiing. Don't use wrist straps when skiing in the trees. CMH has lots of good poles to choose from (no straps). I used long ones. I stuck one in a pine tree, it splintered. Big German skier came down and tried to pull it loose. He says, it's kaput. That was at Galena.

If you've got a strong group and the weather is good you can use up your vertical within 4 days so budget adequately for extra vertical. I've been told that CMH makes good profit on the extra vert...

Still, if it’s going off, it’s your best bang.
    I’ve seen too many clients trying to cherry pick and being penny wise/ pound foolish.

right on, if it's good, enjoy it. if it's wet and heavy, quit early and ration your vertical for a better day. Unless you want all you can eat, and then you will pay for the extra vertical. The Gothics usually has great conditions. you will be skiing in both the Selkirks and Monashee ranges. Above alpine in the glaciers and sub alpine and then tight trees. The sub alpine is my favorite. skiing in the burnt trees at Galena was really cool. but when it's wet, almost raining, it sucks at the lower elevations. We flew one day to the Westfall, long flight. Skied Red Baron nonstop 3000 vertical feet. I was following the guide straight down, pushing snow and was barely moving. so i says, I am done. no big deal. We skied everyday, 8 days on that trip. If it is warm, the Columbia River creates a lot of fog and you won't fly all the time. There is a big dam at Revelstoke that you will drive by on the bus and there is another dam north of you at Mica. The bus ride up there is very scenic. The short drive up the Goldstream is rugged. Our bus got stuck leaving the Gothics, then we had to follow a group of moose in the road. It was a wild trip. My friend got his million vertical foot award there. He gave me the pants. Arcteryx. Priceless.

Not CMH but just for perspective we each tipped our guide $100 per flight day.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

CMH and General Heli trip Qustion

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Not CMH but just for perspective we each tipped our guide $100 per flight day.
    And on a follow up note once you see how much heli guides work their asses off (digging out LZ’s, loading and unloading gear, etc.) you will find this 100% reasonable. Those guys and ladies are absolute badasses, generally speaking.

This may vary from outfit to outfit for what’s expected but in AK collectively we also threw in to tip the pilots as well.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    And on a follow up note once you see how much heli guides work their asses off (digging out LZ’s, loading and unloading gear, etc.) you will find this 100% reasonable. Those guys and ladies are absolute badasses, generally speaking.

This may vary from outfit to outfit for what’s expected but in AK collectively we also threw in to tip the pilots as well.
    I think CMH splits all the tips with all the staff now.

If any staff does an amazing job for you (sports shop fixes a broken boot, house keepers fold the pillow just right, guides give you a nice line, etc) then thank them/buy a drink/go get something from the shop.

#allstaffmatter

I was at Kootenay in Nakusp. flew to Spokane. we skied Whitewater and stayed the night in Nelson. We caught a storm. did not ski for 2 days. went to the hot springs. Halycion was nice. went curling for 2 days. no skiing. big ass storm. then a doubled up pineapple express. we got sent home early. for real. in January. it was raining. got a credit. and I never got in the helicopter.

Quote Originally Posted by RUBBERDUCK View Post
    I was at Kootenay in Nakusp. flew to Spokane. we skied Whitewater and stayed the night in Nelson. We caught a storm. did not ski for 2 days. went to the hot springs. Halycion was nice. went curling for 2 days. no skiing. big ass storm. then a doubled up pineapple express. we got sent home early. for real. in January. it was raining. got a credit. and I never got in the helicopter.
    Not a bad idea to by trip insurance.

I bought it for my first to Revelstoke, just in cause I got hurt playing hockey before the trip. But CMH takes care of us. The credit carried over and they gave me a check later for 1000$ extra because they knew it was a busted trip and alot of time to get there. So basically I would not choose Kootenay again. I would like to go to the Bugaboos next and then the Cariboos. Bobbie Burns sounds fast. The Adamants is wild too. Galena tore me up.

Any Kelowna tips? I’ll have a little time there on the front and tail end of the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Slack Alices in Pentiction is fun
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Slack Alices in Pentiction is fun
    Looks like that burned down ten years ago?

Whitewater is great. Spend the night in Nelson. Nakusp is pretty small. Halcion hot springs is nice. Revelstoke is a blast. I liked the titty bar. It was fun. My best run was at the Gothics. Spider Web. I cleaned it out. All i saw was just a snowman going down the meadow, overhead, I could not see. Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Looks like that burned down ten years ago?

Bummer.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"