Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    10 skiers, skiing one at a time I assume, seems like it wouldn’t be all that blistering of a pace

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Are you smokeing something?

10 skiers in a Bell 212 with a guide. 3 groups of 10 skiers. that's the optimum for flight time and re-fueling and wait time. Jeeeeez. Ask me more. I don't know a little, I know alot.

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    I’m confused as I’ve never heli skied, and interested how they can ski a group of 10 around in avy terrain and gang ski.

It is pretty much gang skiing unless the slope demands one at a time skiing. Basically, skiiers follow guide with tracks veeing out each side from the guide. There is some latitude as a skiier can go out farther to the side and then come back to see the nearest track.

I love forums since one can use the word basically to start a sentence.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Ok thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    It is pretty much gang skiing unless the slope demands one at a time skiing. Basically, skiiers follow guide with tracks veeing out each side from the guide. There is some latitude as a skiier can go out farther to the side and then come back to see the nearest track.

I love forums since one can use the word basically to start a sentence.

So they primarily ski non-avalanche terrain? Or just have that much confidence in snowpack?

The guides decide where in that day's terrain a group of 10 can ski safely based upon current avalanche conditions. At the start of the run, the guides define those areas to the assembled group and then you point it downhill. If there are any rollovers or choke points, they might stagger passage. but that would be a small percentage of the time. Ideally you just ski as opposed to tip toe around all day.

Finding an outfit with cat-ski backup can definitely be clutch when weather or conditions are sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So they primarily ski non-avalanche terrain?
    Yup!!
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So they primarily ski non-avalanche terrain? Or just have that much confidence in snowpack?

Yes, we bypass alot of nice bowls that were ripe. Instead we go into the trees. some stuff slide big time next to us. Its all good though. I learn to throw bombs at Mount Bailey Oregon.
    with Oswald, Ozzy. He got killed there. Anybody else know him?

The one time I heli-skied (with CPG in Alaska), when our guide was ok with gang skiing and not one at a time, he would tell us we could ski it "Canadian style".
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Jerlane - any pictures from Gothics?
    Rubberduck - where did you book?
    I got in with SSPD @ Kootenay - stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by RUBBERDUCK View Post
    Yes, we bypass alot of nice bowls that were ripe. Instead we go into the trees. some stuff slide big time next to us. Its all good though. I learn to throw bombs at Mount Bailey Oregon.
    March 20, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by RUBBERDUCK View Post
    Yeah, skied with Oz a bunch back in the 80s, couldn't believe he got caught. Mt. Bailey has great terrain and snow.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

CMH and General Heli trip Qustion

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    The guides decide where in that day's terrain a group of 10 can ski safely based upon current avalanche conditions. At the start of the run, the guides define those areas to the assembled group and then you point it downhill. If there are any rollovers or choke points, they might stagger passage. but that would be a small percentage of the time. Ideally you just ski as opposed to tip toe around all day.
    Yeah a friend asked if I want to join a December 5-day trip to CMH Revelstoke. I though it was the Steep Shots and Pillow Drops - supposedly more freeride focus - but turns out it’s the Signature trip. Homeboy wants an answer today.

They have 5 of 10 seats on the heli so far. All good skiers.

Sounds like a lot of 30* tree laps. Is that right? That sounds fun, but $5500 USD worth of fun?

Thanks for the opinions thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by meter-man; 05-13-2022 at 04:03 PM.
    sproing!

^^ Yes. I had a few friends do that trip and they were underwhelmed for the $$.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3724.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	656.6 KB 
ID:	416294

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ Yes. I had a few friends do that trip and they were underwhelmed for the $$.
    10-4, thanks for the direct feedback! I had basically written off the regular CMH trips because they look...underwhelming. But when someone is waving heli-time in your face...especially after the season we've / I've had in the Sierra. Hard to say no.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    10-4, thanks for the direct feedback! I had basically written off the regular CMH trips because they look...underwhelming. But when someone is waving heli-time in your face...especially after the season we've / I've had in the Sierra. Hard to say no.
    The standard CMH trips can still be really good but IMO your chances of ending up with a middling group will be higher at Revy vs Monashees.
    Also keep in mind the days are really short up there in Dec.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Newb ques: Do they really not want you bringing your own skis? Am I reading that right?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Newb ques: Do they really not want you bringing your own skis? Am I reading that right?

Correct. Your skis will get beat up getting thrown into the heli bin, and if you crash + lose a ski, no one wants to wait around while you look for a missing ski. People do bring their own skis, but they discourage it.

Wait!!!

Mags crashing skiing <30* powder runs?! And losing a ski?!

WTF?

If you're spending thousands on a ski trip, don't worry about whether they want you taking your skis or not, take what you want if you're not happy with what they have to offer.
    I ski'd with CMH back in the 90s and we were all perfectly happy with their Volkl Explosives because pretty much no one had anything different or better.
    Now everybody's got high quality pow skis and our own personal preferences. Last time I went up there, (more than 10 years ago) I brought my Spatulas with me and no one said a word or seemed to care. Check what they have in their fleet and make your own call.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Bring your skis, it’s fine. They don’t get beat up anymore than skiing at a place like Squaw or Big Sky or Jackson or whatever. Much ado about nothing.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I think it's more a question that they don't want gaper hacks bringing 153cm 83mm waisted slalom race skis and insisting the skis are their "all rounder" that actually are great in the pow.

I've used my own, I've demo-ed other skis for fun. It's all good. If you're doing 6 or 7 days why not switch it up and try out some other high end pow skis?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Yeah a friend asked if I want to join a December 5-day trip to CMH Revelstoke. I though it was the Steep Shots and Pillow Drops - supposedly more freeride focus - but turns out it’s the Signature trip. Homeboy wants an answer today.

They have 5 of 10 seats on the heli so far. All good skiers.

Sounds like a lot of 30* tree laps. Is that right? That sounds fun, but $5500 USD worth of fun?

Thanks for the opinions thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Risky with only 5/10 known skiiers. I wouldn't do it.

Being your own skis unless they have what you want. Mine didn't get beat up.