Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Any Kelowna tips? I’ll have a little time there on the front and tail end of the trip.
    Upside Cider is next to the airport and has good pizza and cider. A good spot to watch the planes land if you're waiting and want to stay close to the airpot.

All Nations Dispensary, just North of the Airport for the best prices and selection.

Lot's of breweries downtown, BNA is probably the best with bowling lanes etc.

If you want a comfortable American chain restaurant go to Earls or Cactus. Raudz is the best real food (not fine) but if you can't get in Krafty is a good alternative. Lots of dinning options on Bernard/Water. Avoid Leon St.

If you want a winery, Quails gate is the most authentic, Boucherie for the best steak dinner, Summerhill for the best view and sustainable farming/B-Corp. Mission Hill/Cedar Creek for grandure.

Driving range is open but I don't think any courses are yet. Might want to rent a bike if the weather is nice, cruise lake shore, up the greenway or rail trail along Kal Lake. The majority of trails are snow free, muddy today but drying quick. Knox Mountain park has great easy hiking that's good to go now. Ski Big White it's a fun hill. Go to a Rockets game if they are in town. boating, fishing, canoe, kayak.
    Last edited by SteveUrkel; 03-04-2022 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RUBBERDUCK View Post
    I was at Kootenay in Nakusp. flew to Spokane. we skied Whitewater and stayed the night in Nelson. We caught a storm. did not ski for 2 days. went to the hot springs. Halycion was nice. went curling for 2 days. no skiing. big ass storm. then a doubled up pineapple express. we got sent home early. for real. in January. it was raining. got a credit. and I never got in the helicopter.
    I had a trip like that. First day we get in 2 runs, could've been 3 or 4 but a couple boarders in our group could not ride pow, got bogged down, guide in another group had to go assist. We bailed early as a storm moved in, snowing hard in Nakusp. Pounded for 3 straight days getting warmer & warmer. We watched on TV the huge avys burying semis halfway up their cabs on the hwy east of Revy. When it cleared the guides went to scope it out, said when they landed, 25 degree slopes naturaled. The plug was pulled. The big euro contingent who flew outta Calgary had to bus back south through Montana due to road closures in BC & AB.
    Highlight of the trip was going fishing out on the lake with a crusty old Canuck on his boat, the guy was hilarious! We hooked a trout, and as my buddy was pulling it in, a big old bald eagle swooped down but missed, and his talons snapped the line. That was one lucky fish!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Gosh dog, that sounds nuts. And I thought I struck out. We lost that week at Kootenay, and CMH lost the next week too. I heard from some dudes that was at Galena, they got out, but everything slid. Even the little stuff next to the lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveUrkel View Post
    Upside Cider is next to the airport and has good pizza and cider. A good spot to watch the planes land if you're waiting and want to stay close to the airpot.

All Nations Dispensary, just North of the Airport for the best prices and selection.

Lot's of breweries downtown, BNA is probably the best with bowling lanes etc.

If you want a comfortable American chain restaurant go to Earls or Cactus. Raudz is the best real food (not fine) but if you can't get in Krafty is a good alternative. Lots of dinning options on Bernard/Water. Avoid Leon St.

If you want a winery, Quails gate is the most authentic, Boucherie for the best steak dinner, Summerhill for the best view and sustainable farming/B-Corp. Mission Hill/Cedar Creek for grandure.

Driving range is open but I don't think any courses are yet. Might want to rent a bike if the weather is nice, cruise lake shore, up the greenway or rail trail along Kal Lake. The majority of trails are snow free, muddy today but drying quick. Knox Mountain park has great easy hiking that's good to go now. Ski Big White it's a fun hill. Go to a Rockets game if they are in town. boating, fishing, canoe, kayak.
    Great info! That's what I was looking for. I will only have about a half day on either end of the trip, but that gives me some options to kill some time.

good times. We also went trolling on a boat in Nakusp. Went golfing too.

I know there is an old thread about trip insurance; however, this might be specific to cmh.

What trip insurance for cmh this year traveling from the US?

How does Canada charge non residents for Healthcare?

Cmh will credit forward any trip cancelation this year because of covid related travel and other issues guests have had.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    I know there is an old thread about trip insurance; however, this might be specific to cmh.

What trip insurance for cmh this year traveling from the US?

How does Canada charge non residents for Healthcare?

Cmh will credit forward any trip cancelation this year because of covid related travel and other issues guests have had.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    US citizens pay cash or credit card for Healthcare in Canada.

My wife won a 5 day heli trip to any of the available CMH trips in April only. If it seems worth it, I might join her for the 6K price tag. Sounds cool to be in Revy if the weather is hit or miss, but the terrain they access lists as intermediate to advanced. Is the CMH terrain around Revelstoke just low angle powder poofing? If so, not interested. We've been eyeing the Bobby Burns trip as it seems best for better skiing. Anyone have any experience with either of the two?

CMH and General Heli trip Qustion

(Deleted)

CMH and General Heli trip Qustion

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    My wife won a 5 day heli trip to any of the available CMH trips in April only. If it seems worth it, I might join her for the 6K price tag. Sounds cool to be in Revy if the weather is hit or miss, but the terrain they access lists as intermediate to advanced. Is the CMH terrain around Revelstoke just low angle powder poofing? If so, not interested. We've been eyeing the Bobby Burns trip as it seems best for better skiing. Anyone have any experience with either of the two?

Nice prize! If you’re both strong skiers, I’d pick Bobbie Burns for the backcountry lodge. For me, that’s half the appeal of the trip. The lodges are special - Walk out the door to the helicopter.
    For Revelstoke, you just stay in a hotel in town. You can visit Revy anytime. Both areas have lots of terrain (depending on weather, group ability etc) but Bobbie Burns will almost certainly have the faster paced skiing.

I was talking to the manager at Gothics when I was there about possible future trips and he said the April weeks can be great. He recommended Adamants or Bobbie Burns. One nice thing about BB is that you get there through Calgary instead of Kelowna. It’s a much cheaper plane ticket and easier to get to depending on where your leaving from. It may be somewhat of a drop in the bucket at that point, but if you don’t have super deep pockets it can help.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have been with CMH Revelstoke. It has a large variety of terrain, but like they says, you can go there anytime. For April of next year, I would choose Adamants. 2 brand new A-Stars exclusive to the Adamants trips. Small groups of 4 skiers. You just can't beat that at CMH. Cool lodge too. After that, I would choose Bobbie Burns. I am going to the Bugaboos next April because it is my wife's first trip = non-skier. And like they says, the only trips from Calgary now are Bobbie Burns and Bugaboos (and Valemount).

I remember a while back they did Adamant trips where they left Calgary, dropped off at Golden and flew the chopper over the big ass lake backdoor into the Adamants so that the bus ride wasn't as crazy long as it used to be - like driving all the way to the Gothics, then flying a short trip to Adamants lodge.

Also cool is that Bobbie Burns lodge just got totally re-modeled. It looks fancy, like brand new. I have never been there, but my friend has. Fast groups, long runs, massive vertical. You will probably pay for some extra vertical, but worth it usually.

Have fun, I might go to Bobbie Burns next time after the Bugaboos.

Thanks for all the info, sounds like we're leaning toward Bobbie Burns. I've never been heli skiing so this may seem like a dumb question, but lets say my wife skis for 4-5 hours and is spent (she's a strong skier and can keep a fast pace, but a weekend warrior). Does she need to ski every lap that the heli is providing for the day, or could she sit out when she wants and join when she wants?

That new Burns lodge looks pretty sweet- definitely the way to go. I know it’s 90% about the skiing but when you’re dropping some serious money it’s nice to enjoy slick amenities.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

My experience fwiw. Don't make the mistakes I did.

Mistake 1: Went to kootenay in mid March. Turns out that was the last week of the season for that lodge. Weather was sketch. Grounded the majority of the trip.

Mistake 2: Went with a good friend and their friends. Very slow group. All stop and go skiing. Cmh had told me they group people in the birds and reshuffle based on ability and fitness. Didn't happen; however the grounded factor played a large part in that.

Mistake 3: avoid having anyone in your group that can't listen to and abide your guide. Ideally some backcountry experience so no one v trys to walk to wall off a cornice or skis to far from the guides tracks into woods oblivion.

Lessons learned: Book a small group heli. Fill it with fast and strong mofos. Choose location by expected conditions for time of year.

Or go loads of times during the year and roll the dice each time if you can afford it. I can't afford to go on a yearly basis so next time I'll be very selective.

That and get very fit including your wife.

This was my experience and reccs may not be applicable to what you are looking for.

Thx to all the mags that gave me advice for my first heli trip.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

This will prob be my one and only heli trip of my life, we have kids and all of our vacations are usually with them. Still wondering can you sit out laps if you want after 4-5 hours of skiing?

It isn't usually an option for one person to sit out laps. There is usually more than one group per helicopter so they can't stay in that and they can't just leave someone on their own at a drop off or pick up. Usually you will be more than a short hop away from base.

Ok she can power through, appreciate the answer

They can drop someone off mid day, but I wouldn't count on it.

Better to get really fit and then complain about everyone else being slow

There were a few opportunities to go back to the lodge early. Before lunch is one and maybe again in the afternoon depending on how and when they need to refuel. There were a few people that took advantage of that. We were grounded for a few days, so the days we skied were long. Basically 9-5 with a break for lunch.

Ok appreciate all the feedback, hoping for zero down days and lots of pow!

Your only option to sit out, means you be done for the day is usually at lunch. Sometimes you can fly back during a fuel trip, but don't count on it. The Bobbie Burns is known for sumbitches that like to break the vertical record on a trip. Fast groups. I think they run 3 groups of 10 skiers with a Bell 212. Top to bottom runs nonstop. Serious honkeys. You can probably do it, but it might be wiser to choose a different lodge for your first trip. I would choose Adamants unless you have to start in Calgary. Then I would choose the Bugaboos instead.

Have fun, I am booking my trip today.

I forgot to add, none of the CMH trips are easy. But some trips are for more experienced helicopter skiers. Galena, Monashees, and Bobbie Burns. Take that into consideration. They are all a little bit different. I really had fun at the Gothics. Galena was tough.

10 skiers, skiing one at a time I assume, seems like it wouldn’t be all that blistering of a pace

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    10 skiers, skiing one at a time I assume, seems like it wouldn’t be all that blistering of a pace

One at a time? These ain't no skinners. Different situation.

I’m confused as I’ve never heli skied, and interested how they can ski a group of 10 around in avy terrain and gang ski.