Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thx for all the replies
    Lol, god knows I’m never going to be paying for heli time
    Just thought that was an odd detail for what I imagine to be folks who probably have quivers, and in those quivers a wide ski they wish they could pick more often

https://www.heliskihistory.com/evolutions

Skis: I highly suggest that you use the heliski operations skis. You want the best “fat ski” that they have. It is a good idea to find out what brands and models of powder skis the operation has on hand. Ideally, you might get to try out a pair before your trip. You really don’t want to bring your own skis or board, since they are a hassle to travel with.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

This is TGR not Ski magazine. Most of us travel with our skis all the damn time, not a big deal.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

CMH and General Heli trip Qustion

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This is TGR
    ^^ exactly…i have a 19x cm 114 & 125 to choose from & roller bag to get em there

What’s the powerball up to this week?

Flying with skiis... why not? Just another bag no biggie. The question is how many pairs?

This is tgr I carry two or three pairs of skiis to the hill everyone I ski, plus wives and kids. Wives and kids are challenging to carry especially as the kids get bigger. I need to pair the wife quiver down to one wife.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Snowblades really help with all of these situations.

I didn’t get divorced after convincing my wife to lug our ski bags through Shinjuku Station, I think I can handle a continental flight.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Newb ques: Do they really not want you bringing your own skis? Am I reading that right?
    Don't bring your skis, use the ones provided . I skied w/ CMH and on the first day a guy lost a ski near the bottom of a run and we spent maybe 10 min, MAYBE, looking for it and then the guide said "fuck it, there is an extra set in the heli" so unless you don't mind losing your skis permanently take them up on the offer.
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

Oh FFS. Just bring your skis, most of us do.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Take your own skis and make sure you have powdered chords streaming from them...

The guides love that.

We should do a poll, how many days have you heli skied? Hacksaw and Tahoe J, it’ll give perspective

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Since when is actual experience required to spout an opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    We should do a poll, how many days have you heli skied? Hacksaw and Tahoe J, it’ll give perspective

Approximately 415 days of heliskiing (Canada, Colorado, New Zealand) and ski plane skiing (New Zealand and Baffin Island).

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Approximately 415 days of heliskiing (Canada, Colorado, New Zealand) and ski plane skiing (New Zealand and Baffin Island).
    I think I’ll use their skis.

https://www.heliskihistory.com/evolutions

Skis: I highly suggest that you use the heliski operations skis. You want the best “fat ski” that they have. It is a good idea to find out what brands and models of powder skis the operation has on hand. Ideally, you might get to try out a pair before your trip. You really don’t want to bring your own skis or board, since they are a hassle to travel with.
    Do they typically have 16DIN demo bindings on there? My two concerns with using provided skis would be not knowing how they perform in variable conditions (good snow makes any ski great fun) and expectations not lining up with performance in the moment, and being used to skiing at a 13-14DIN and having a binding that only goes to 12.

I’ve used the Op’s equipment and generally been fine.
    But I always bring my own. Shit happens traveling and I’ve been rewarded multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Do they typically have 16DIN demo bindings on there? My two concerns with using provided skis would be not knowing how they perform in variable conditions (good snow makes any ski great fun) and expectations not lining up with performance in the moment, and being used to skiing at a 13-14DIN and having a binding that only goes to 12.
    Well, don’t you think heli ski companies would pick skis for variable conditions? Think CMH and the Explosiv.

CMH, I maybe would use their skis. AK, have always used my skis. Always.
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Do your homework, call the opperation and ask. I have found most opperations are more to talk with you or email with you about skis. Most will even reserve skis for you.

CMH is using mostly Atomic now. Rockered and fat. I think Salomon bindings. I use their skis, but once at Kootenay I brought my K2 Big Kahunas. At the Gothics this big Japanese skier lost a ski, did not even look for it. He skied down with 1 ski, got to the chopper and just shook his shoulders. He got another ski out of helicopter.

For "powder snowboards" i will never trust another operation unless it's somewhere that specializes with snowboarding like Baldface. I got put on an unturnable Shaq sized twin tip "powder board" on this cat trip and it was absolutely fucking awful.
    Always bring your own pow gear as backup if you can, even if you think you'll be underequipped.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

A cat trip….

What’s pow gear?

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post

This may be a once in a lifetime opportunity and I should jump on it, but I want to know what to expect so I can decide if I can really afford it.

So, what are you going to do Jerlane? All I can tell you is that heliskiing is addictive.

So, what are you going to do Jerlane? All I can tell you is that heliskiing is addictive.
    it is
    very addictive

I would very like to bring my Shaggys. They be custom built. But instead I can wreck theirs. they hate it . fucking Duck .