Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    My comment was referring to Cox's about face, not the content of the bill. I won't wade into the issue itself, just pointing out the profound hypocrisy of someone who wanted to protect these kids last year and now is legislating against them. Not to mention his political affiliation should dictate that he be on the side of freedom and "my body my choice", something he was doing a fantastic job pushing when it came to COVID and vaccines.
    Agreed with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    It’s my understanding that the bill denies the use of puberty blockers which can have huge implications for kids with gender dysphoria.
    Thank you, I need a better understanding of that. Sounds shitty.

Either way, keep these decisions out of the government. It is a decision between the child, their parents, and their doctors.
    Agreed with this, but there is precedence, like with the vasectomy example. Apples to oranges I guess.

the general attitude around them
    The worst part for sure. I'm pretty sure that the bill comes from a place of owning the libs and not empathy.

I agree with Dan that the school voucher bill is the more sinister of the two while the transgender bill seems to be getting most of the press/conversation.

An extra $500 a month for public teachers, in exchange for public subsidiation of private education at a cost higher to the state than it would pay for the same child in the public system, is both a swindle and a Faustian bargain for the state of Utah long term. Stupid and angry is no way to go through life, much less raise an entire generation.

Thanks R., for all the bitching I do we really like it here. We only have so many chances to do right by our kids.

In 2020, suicide was the leading cause of death for Utahns ages 10 to 17 and 18-24. I would argue that the church, er, state's approach and acceptance of LGBTQ+ youth has a substantial impact on that. I'm anticipating seeing that bump up and be even higher than it is. the reuters article below puts the numbers into perspective. In 2021, the gender affirming surgery of mastectomies in 15-17 year olds was 282 in the US. For genital surgeries, "The Komodo analysis of insurance claims found 56 genital surgeries among patients ages 13 to 17 with a prior gender dysphoria diagnosis from 2019 to 2021"

Do I think it's responsible for the parents to allow their kids to do this at a young age? Not sure, I'm not a parent, and not one of a trans youth, seems to be making a fear based law not founded in science.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...ansyouth-data/
    https://ibis.health.utah.gov/ibisph-...and%2018%2D24.

The voucher bill is bogus too. I've been at the capital every Tuesday AM at the Sportsman's Caucus, I'll let you know if anything wildly infuriating comes in terms of public land/wildlife/water.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I agree with Dan that the school voucher bill is the more sinister of the two while the transgender bill seems to be getting most of the press/conversation.

An extra $500 a month for public teachers, in exchange for public subsidiation of private education at a cost higher to the state than it would pay for the same child in the public system, is both a swindle and a Faustian bargain for the state of Utah long term. Stupid and angry is no way to go through life, much less raise an entire generation.

Thanks R., for all the bitching I do we really like it here. We only have so many chances to do right by our kids.
    Ummm you know there are 26 other states that are doing the school voucher thing too. It’s not just a cult thing. But don’t let that stop you from moving.

Quote Originally Posted by ikonfreewasatch View Post
    Ummm you know there are 26 other states that are doing the school voucher thing too. It’s not just a cult thing. But don’t let that stop you from moving.
    Really? I don't follow along, but this publication seems to disagree:

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/statere...ab2_1-2020.asp

Perhaps their definition of "voucher" is off?

ETA: the above list is mostly "the usual suspects." Maybe not the cult you are specifically referring to, but cults of a similar nature.

Next thing you're going to argue that UT offers quality public education, that teachers here are compensated fairly, and that the cult doesn't skew policy to support the transfer of public money to private institutions that provide education that is more than a bit tainted by the dominant faith?
    Put your fingers back in your ass guy, it will save you from typing more bullshit.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Next thing you're going to argue that UT offers quality public education, that teachers here are compensated fairly, and that the cult doesn't skew policy to support the transfer of public money to private institutions that provide education that is more than a bit tainted by the dominant faith?
    Put your fingers back in your ass guy, it will save you from typing more bullshit.
    https://www.edchoice.org/engage/the-...-2022-edition/

Seems like a totally unbiased non skewed point of view

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1865.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	445468

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1865.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	445468

whatever. Point is it’s not just a Utah thing like these transplants always try to make it out to be.

Yep, it's an ALEC/Koch brothers joint.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/EdChoice
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Yep, it's an ALEC/Koch brothers joint.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/EdChoice

They already tried it here bud. I still remember the stupid Oreo commercial. The voters overwhelmingly rejected the idea, and would again if given the chance.

I also know that gm doesn’t live in or ski the Wasatch. I was born here, lived here and have skied here my whole life, Einstein.
    whatever. Point is it’s not just a Utah thing like these transplants always try to make it out to be.

Congratulations on being semi proficient with google.
    Nobody's disagreeing with the fact that other states are doing it. The point is that UT is doing it for its own reasons, and the concept of educational freedom prominently listed on the website you linked is a dog whistle. In UT, who do you think is blowing that whistle, and for what reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    They already tried it here bud. I still remember the stupid Oreo commercial. The voters overwhelmingly rejected the idea, and would again if given the chance.
    I read that is passed against the wishes of pretty much everyone in the state, voters, teachers and advocate alike. People succeeded in putting the issue on a ballot and the voucher program was killed with more than 60% of the vote against it. That's not exactly a strong endorsement for a repeat of the program which is probably why it's attached to a $5k pay raise for teachers this time. Five fucking thousand dollars. Clearly this is a state that values its educators.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Dude your welcoming attitude pretty much defines everything everyone is saying on here. “Welcome to Utah, want to go to church with me next Sunday? No, well then fuck off and go back to where you came from.”
    Yea I was one of those transplants too for 30 years. The nice thing about the Salt Lake area is there are a whole lot of us transplants that you and your pajama loving brothers are trying to legislate into submission that helps make it a much more welcoming place to be. I bet its scary to see other opinions and values being slowly come into play.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

The nice thing about the Salt Lake area is there are a whole lot of us transplants that you and your pajama loving brothers are trying to legislate into submission that helps make it a much more welcoming place to be.
    My daily interactions with tribe members are very limited, but the legislative session is an exercise in frustration every year.

Dude your welcoming attitude pretty much defines everything everyone is saying on here. “Welcome to Utah, want to go to church with me next Sunday? No, well then fuck off and go back to where you came from.”
    Yea I was one of those transplants too for 30 years. The nice thing about the Salt Lake area is there are a whole lot of us transplants that you and your pajama loving brothers are trying to legislate into submission that helps make it a much more welcoming place to be. I bet its scary to see other opinions and values being slowly come into play.

hey dude, point out where I ever said I was Mormon, also point out where I said I support the voucher program. I just told you the only reason I’m posting in this stupid thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    My daily interactions with tribe members are very limited, but the legislative session is an exercise in frustration every year.
    Same here, and I get pretty deeply involved in the legislative process in my professional life and it is without a doubt the most frustrating secret club I have ever seen - and I have worked on projects with the east coast mafia….

Ban homeless shelters one day, try and hide them all in temporary shelters the next...

https://www.ksl.com/article/50573931...l-star-weekend
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

FYI there’s a bad stream access law that was passed out of committee yesterday HB208, more to come on that in a bit. Also, call your reps on the exec appropriations committee and push for the passing of the $20 mil wildlife highway mitigation RFA, funding wildlife crossings and the like

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

There's also this washed up twat that's building a golf course over one of the better trail systems in the state where we hardly have water to flush the commode.

https://kutv.com/news/local/golf-leg...st-2025-season

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    There's also this washed up twat that's building a golf course over one of the better trail systems in the state where we hardly have water to flush the commode.

https://kutv.com/news/local/golf-leg...st-2025-season
    His golf course creation firm, known as TGR Design
    Dude you buried the lede

Wait. Tiger woods is a maggot?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Wait. Tiger woods is a maggot?
    With all the hookers and blow discussion, of course he is. Plus late 40s fits perfectly with our demographic.