Page 371 of 662 FirstFirst ... 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 ... LastLast
Results 9,251 to 9,275 of 16546

Thread: Ukraine

I think the opposite is true. We're acquiring their talent. We're the ones benefiting from that transaction.

Yabbut .... the stink of Modi/BJP. Prolly not as stinky as MSB, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    I think the opposite is true. We're acquiring their talent. We're the ones benefiting from that transaction.
    Reminds me of how the Europeans benefited from acquiring all that cheap Russian oil & gas.

I'm not sure I understand the comparison. Is it because you don't like people from India?

Paging Buster Highman for an alternative view...

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Yabbut .... the stink of Modi/BJP. Prolly not as stinky as MSB, but still.
    We lost Russia. We lost China. It is critical that we not lose India. America and the world as a whole would be much better off with a large, multi-ethnic, and free democracy:

It is crucial that India remains a democracy for all its citizens. India is not Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan. Not yet. A lot of India’s standing in the world – the reason we are included in the respectable nations, the reason our people and our tech companies are welcome all over the world – is that we are seen, unlike, say, China, as being a multi-ethnic democracy that protects its minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    The Saudis. and Russia with her current economy are shit out of luck when the rest of the world transforms to 100% renewables/green energy. They're behind the blitzes anti science, pro big oil propaganda as much as US big oil companies are, maybe more so..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EhClvGZXkAI8Puz.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	425317

Off topic. Incorrect facts. Poor assumptions.

The trifecta! What the fuck did i just read?

We lost Russia. We lost China. It is critical that we not lose India. America and the world as a whole would be much better off with a large, multi-ethnic, and free democracy:

It is crucial that India remains a democracy for all its citizens. India is not Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan. Not yet. A lot of India’s standing in the world – the reason we are included in the respectable nations, the reason our people and our tech companies are welcome all over the world – is that we are seen, unlike, say, China, as being a multi-ethnic democracy that protects its minorities.
    Did you read your link? It's exactly what I was alluding to - the current Indian administration could teach Trump a lot about authoritarianism. We absolutely need India to remain a viable, open democracy, but not at the cost of embracing the Modi/BJP fascists, because then it's no longer a viable, open democracy.

I should have written 'yeah' because I think we're saying the same thing and that's why I provided the link i.e., we don't want to 'lose' India to an autocratic government:

"With over 200 million Indian Muslims, India is the third largest Muslim country in the world. There are 30 million Indian Christians. There are Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Zoroastrians, Atheists. They are as Indian as I am – a Hindu who’s proud of being a Hindu, but not a Hindu as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Bharatiya Janata Party seek to define me."

In spite of Modi's retrograde style of governing, India is still a democracy. One of the advantages of allowing workers and students to come to America, and that includes China, India, and Russia, is that they generally return home with positive views about the United States.
    Last edited by MultiVerse; 09-02-2022 at 02:26 PM.

Heh. So now Gazprom has stopped the gas supply completely because of an "oil leak."
    Oh no what a terrible misfortune. I'd never have expected such an inconvenience.

It is just a coincidence that our Reservoirs filled faster than expected.

Now build that fucking Lng terminal and good riddance. He played his last card and what's next threatenibg to open all gas vents and burn it to increase climate change? Nobody can buy it because there are no Pipelines leading to countries which still do Business with the clown.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    what's next threatenibg to open all gas vents and burn it to increase climate change? .
    The flaring at Gazprom's Portovaya plant is an "environmental disaster," Rystad said, with about 9,000 tons of carbon dioxide being emitted every day.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/26/energ...gas/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by stayhighstaydry View Post
    The flaring at Gazprom's Portovaya plant is an "environmental disaster," Rystad said, with about 9,000 tons of carbon dioxide being emitted every day.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/26/energ...gas/index.html
    “Henning Gloystein, director of Energy, Climate and Resources at Eurasia Group, told CNN Business that Russia is probably burning gas created as a byproduct during oil production.
    "In normal times, much of this gas would have been used to feed into the pipeline grid and sold on to Europe. Because Russia has sharply cut supply to Europe that gas initially went into Russian domestic storage. Those are now likely full, so the gas has nowhere to go, hence it's being flared," he said.”

This was my first thought. They’re burning it because they don’t have anywhere to store/sell it, and they can’t stop producing it.

Nice that they put the most logical answer right at the end of the article after running through a bunch of other hypotheticals.

The source of Nord Stream 1 gas pipeline leak has been found:

Name:  FbrBNYyX0AQhsQr.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  67.8 KB

I'm told paper towel technology has yet to reach Russia so it's going to be a while before things are back up and running.

I'm not sure I understand the comparison. Is it because you don't like people from India?
    This is probably not the right thread to discuss the pros & cons of H1B visas, but since you are trying to paint me as a racist bigot, I’ll spell it out for you and then drop it.

No, I don’t dislike Indian nationals. If I did, I wouldn’t have lasted 15 years at my last employer, where the design team I was in was at least 60% Indians. I had good rapport with nearly all my Indian colleagues, although it must be remembered that coworkers are never really your friends.

Companies, especially tech companies, have a preference towards hiring H1B candidates. For the most part, it’s not because these candidates have skills impossible to find in candidates who are American citizens. It’s because they are willing to work for less money, and the company can lock them in for several years while the company helps them down the long process of getting a green card. If they leave, they have to start that all over with a new company.

During the last hiring cycle at my previous employer, the ONLY resumes we got from the HR recruiters for our new college grad reqs were all H1B candidates. American citizens, in effect, were discriminated against. And I believe this process is widespread throughout the tech industry, not just specific to the particular company I worked at. The end result is American tech companies are becoming staffed more and more by Indian nationals.

This has the danger of becoming, in effect a “reverse brain drain”, as we hand off these technical jobs to immigrants. It possibly wouldn’t be so bad if India were a staunch Allie of the US. But they are not. In fact, they have firmly aligned themselves with Russia. In recent news, India has announced that they will be attending war games in Russia this fall, along with the Chinese, North Koreans, and a few other countries.

I'm aware of the issues with the H1B program and even though it's probably not a popular take I think it should be reformed/reduced and instead focus more on skilled immigration and citizenship, which also addresses some of the “reverse brain drain” issues. In any case my question had nothing to do bigotry per se and more to do with your rational. As far as the recent news, India has had ties with Russia for decades but that doesn't mean they're aligned with Russia in the way North Korea is aligned with China.

India will probably be the fastest-growing Asian economy this decade and will soon surpass China's population. We might not like Indian politics but the record for democracies on these things is much better than authoritarian regimes.

In the context of this thread, this discussion matters a great deal because a Russian failure in Ukraine could help prevent a war over semiconductors in Taiwan. From a strategic standpoint no country can fight a major war without access to advanced computer chips and we've seen what chip shortages can do to the economy. Most advanced chips are made in Taiwan. The United States is trying to onshore production but in order to do that we're going to have to allow Taiwanese workers into the country for the reasons described in this video:

Last edited by MultiVerse; 09-03-2022 at 12:41 PM.

Last edited by KQ; 09-05-2022 at 12:00 AM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

"I can’t understand how the world, where every possible right is being fought for, is unable to ensure that we have the basic right for life and liberty."

️ Khrystyna Danko, 15, author of the series of drawings "I miss you" dedicated to fallen soldiers.

Source: Defense of Ukraine
    Name:  20220904_225542.jpeg
Views: 407
Size:  37.3 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    This is probably not the right thread to discuss the pros & cons of H1B visas, but since you are trying to paint me as a racist bigot, I’ll spell it out for you and then drop it.

No, I don’t dislike Indian nationals. If I did, I wouldn’t have lasted 15 years at my last employer, where the design team I was in was at least 60% Indians. I had good rapport with nearly all my Indian colleagues, although it must be remembered that coworkers are never really your friends.

Companies, especially tech companies, have a preference towards hiring H1B candidates. For the most part, it’s not because these candidates have skills impossible to find in candidates who are American citizens. It’s because they are willing to work for less money, and the company can lock them in for several years while the company helps them down the long process of getting a green card. If they leave, they have to start that all over with a new company.

During the last hiring cycle at my previous employer, the ONLY resumes we got from the HR recruiters for our new college grad reqs were all H1B candidates. American citizens, in effect, were discriminated against. And I believe this process is widespread throughout the tech industry, not just specific to the particular company I worked at. The end result is American tech companies are becoming staffed more and more by Indian nationals.

This has the danger of becoming, in effect a “reverse brain drain”, as we hand off these technical jobs to immigrants. It possibly wouldn’t be so bad if India were a staunch Allie of the US. But they are not. In fact, they have firmly aligned themselves with Russia. In recent news, India has announced that they will be attending war games in Russia this fall, along with the Chinese, North Koreans, and a few other countries.
    One of my brothers has been a business/ tech consultant for years.. He made the same points as you have, based on his experience regarding what his clients desired.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

So Russia is now buying munitions from North Korea
    https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/rus...tages-us-says/

and internal memos are warning of a recession that might last until 2030, especially if the rest of the world goes into receasion
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-05/russia-risks-bigger-longer-sanctions-hit-internal-report-warns

sounds like everything is going great, right Putin defenders? Especially now that he cut off the gas profit taps?

fortunately things are going great on the battlefield for Russia

Wonderful news on the new pm of uk.

Asked how she'd feel about unleashing global nuclear annihilation, incoming UK Prime Minister Liz Truss didn't hesitate to announce she's "ready to do it." Upon taking office tomorrow, she'll already preside over a substantial "boots on the ground" UK military presence in Ukraine

Many observers took note of the ease and complete lack of hesitation when asked about taking Britain into a WW3 nuclear scenario - to which then Foreign Minister Truss responded that she's "ready to do it."

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    It possibly wouldn’t be so bad if India were a staunch Allie of the US. But they are not. In fact, they have firmly aligned themselves with Russia. In recent news, India has announced that they will be attending war games in Russia this fall, along with the Chinese, North Koreans, and a few other countries.
    They just signed on for a direct Rupee-Ruble exchange for petroproducts.

We need to cultivate alliance with India, but we are watching them continue to play to Russia and sometimes China.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

Asked how she'd feel about unleashing global nuclear annihilation, incoming UK Prime Minister Liz Truss didn't hesitate to announce she's "ready to do it." Upon taking office tomorrow, she'll already preside over a substantial "boots on the ground" UK military presence in Ukraine

Many observers took note of the ease and complete lack of hesitation when asked about taking Britain into a WW3 nuclear scenario - to which then Foreign Minister Truss responded that she's "ready to do it."

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk
    I forget where you posted your criticism of Russia's saber rattling about how they can nuke London in 90 seconds OR where they could also simply withdraw their troops from another country to make the war end.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraina/com...ed_kingdom_in/
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

Deflection?

Of course they are ready.

Hertling said a mass surrender is coming if Ukraine takes Kherson

she'll already preside over a substantial "boots on the ground" UK military presence in Ukraine
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........