Page 254 of 664 FirstFirst ... 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 ... LastLast
Results 6,326 to 6,350 of 16597

Thread: Ukraine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	713D6C78-B215-4CE9-ADBB-46FBF63028DB.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	413158
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I blame Moose and Squirrel.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Someone projected the Ukrainian flag on the Russian Embassy in D.C. The Russians tried to drown out the projection with a spotlight- and failed.

https://reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/u3tpry/someone_projected_the_ukrainian_flag_on_the/

Pic of the Moskva being towed.

Name:	Image1649987834.579971.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	413163

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Largest military ship sunk since WW2, built by Ukrainian’s, sunk by Ukrainian’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    I blame Moose and Squirrel.
    I always thought Natasha was the instigator

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Someone projected the Ukrainian flag on the Russian Embassy in D.C. The Russians tried to drown out the projection with a spotlight- and failed.

https://reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/u3tpry/someone_projected_the_ukrainian_flag_on_the/
    See post #6324, JONG

Name:	F411FC62-592C-4333-99BF-9B32DA133E91.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	413173

If Ukraine is able to push back on the Russian navy, does it make an invasion of Crimea somewhat more likely after they kick Russia's ass out of the south and east? Watching those missile fly out of Sevastapol was brutal, I wouldn't mind never seeing that again.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Name:	776DFDC3-0E17-4DB7-B509-DE66F5A53ECC.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	784.7 KB 
ID:	413176

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    I think it was intercepted comms confirmed the hit and subsequent fire on board.

Can you imagine US forces communications being intercepted at this rate in a combat theatre? Lol. Can you imagine a US navy cruiser taking a missile hit because her crew was distracted by an aircraft? Like, where the hell is the rest of the flotilla?
    To be clear, they were distracted by a Bayraktar drone, so sort of a midget aircraft.

And FWIW, Russia’s Black Sea flagship was taken out by a country with no operational navy.

If it’s true the Moskva’s command was distracted by a drone, I think the optimal strategy to repel Russia’s advance from the east would be for the Ukrainians to release 100,000 squirrels into the Russian front lines.

While the Russians are distracted, UKR Javelins take out the remaining 65 combat-ready BTGs

Shifting gears a bit, I mentioned upthread that Putin has purged 150 FSB officers and the head of the Fifth Directorate is in prison.

This provides a theory connecting the dots with this event and why Putin was surprised at the lack of welcome for the Russian liberators

TL;DR = These FSB guys fabricated a well armed and trained partisan Ukrainians that would support Russian liberators. And pocketed the cash provided by Moscow to arm and support these invented partisans.

Government by kleptocracy

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I'm just here to say: Fuck Russia

Medvedev warns Russia would bolster military over potential Swedish and Finnish NATO membership

Dmitry Medvedev, deputy chair of Russia's Security Council, warned in a statement Thursday Russia's military would “more than double” its forces in Russia’s Western flank should Sweden and Finland join NATO.

Ground- and air-defense forces would be beefed up, he wrote on Telegram, and Russia would deploy “significant naval forces” in the Gulf of Finland.

If Sweden and Finland join NATO, Medevedev added, “it will no longer be possible to talk about any non-nuclear status of the Baltic — the balance must be restored."

Medvedev, who served as president of Russia from 2008 to 2012 in a four-year interregnum for Russia President Vladimir Putin's two-decade rule, has struck a bellicose pose in recent months, though he is not a top decision-maker.

A 2018 Federation of American Scientists report concluded that Russia may have significantly modernized a nuclear weapons storage bunker in Kaliningrad, an exclave of Russian territory between Poland and the Baltic states.
    Total bullshit. Medvedev is channeling Baghdad Bob
    Russia doesn’t have the resources to rebuild what they are losing in Ukraine, let alone expand its military.

Their GDP prior to invasion/sanctions was $1.7 trillion. GDP of NATO countries is $43 trillion.

Russia is heavily dependent on technology imports, esp for their military. Example - Ukraine was the principal supplier of tank parts to Russia.

They are running out of precision missiles - which is partly why their bombing seems so indiscriminate.

Their military leadership is proving both inept and corrupt, and will be increasingly staffed by unmotivated conscripts

Meanwhile, Ukrainians are fighting for their homes.

Beau's rumors are interesting. It wouldn't be the first time--but then, it wouldn't be the first time that western intelligence used fake actors to feed disinfo to the enemy, either.

What if a few of those groups actually existed, they were just Ukrainian intelligence officers? Might explain a few more things, like the repeated landing of Russian helicopters in the same airport where the last set died.

Name:  278583044_3112931605690778_3444253339595-2349176.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  59.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Apparently, this is well in line with other russian naval endeavors....

https://youtu.be/yzGqp3R4Mx4
    That was great.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Ironically, isn’t he over there fighting? Allegedly?
    I still call it The Jake.

^^^Exactly.. Perhaps it was one of his OOPS moments that lead to their demise...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    ...the repeated landing of Russian helicopters in the same airport where the last set died.
    Hadn't heard about that one, it's for real?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    That was great.

Ironically, isn’t he over there fighting? Allegedly?
    If he is, probably not for Ukraine given his previous stuff in Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post

Andrei Mordvichev

Russian Lieutenant General Andrei Mordvichev was the commander of the 8th General Army of the Southern Military District of the Armed Forces and died due to "fire on the enemy," the general staff of the Ukrainian army said on Twitter.
    The general was reportedly killed when Ukrainian forces struck an airfield in Chornobayivka, near Kherson Airport, which is being used as a temporary Russian base, according to Oleksiy Arestovych, former presidential adviser, local outlet Interfax reported.
    The Kremlin has not confirmed the general's death.

Lotta Colonels are going to be moving up.

Holy shit, who knew the Russian military was this hollow?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Osint folks on Twitter were all over the Ukrainian attacks at the time, and Ukraine's claimed destruction seemed to line up well with OS satellite images. Apparently it's official now--Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chornobaivka
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

Aside from nukes, is anyone else disappointed having grown up with the fear that Russia was a superpower that was going to roll through your hometown at any given moment?

Maybe "superpowers" only exist in comics?
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...e-Worl-Wor-Two

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    That conversation is certainly not evidence of a specific atrocity, and there are plenty of those. But the coping value does tend to differ between joking about the inevitable (war) and the personal choice (war crimes).

Unless war crimes are expected, of course. In which case, trying to lighten the conscience of a soldier when he calls home might seem like a kindness--even a duty. And there might be a lot more calls like that. And there are.
    as a follow up - some reporters think they identified both the husband and wife
    https://mobile.twitter.com/kromark/status/1514964537690177541