Page 278 of 664 FirstFirst ... 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 ... LastLast
Results 6,926 to 6,950 of 16597

Thread: Ukraine

Name:  164C6C78-CD55-46F7-8F87-5BE9E3483AB7.png
Views: 465
Size:  343.8 KB
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    This guy Perun has good videos on war economics. In a war of attrition, Russia can draw on a huge stock of soviet armor. That doesn't mean they win, just that they may be able to replace losses from their stock.
    The West has the upper hand in wars of attrition. American military supplies prevented the Russians from being overrun by the Germans during WWII. This week the U.S. and other countries committed to supplying weapons for the duration of Putin's war against Ukraine. In addition to an enormous morale-boost for Ukraine’s soldiers and civilians, that also means Ukraine can commit more weapons immediately rather than holding back to preserve existing stock.

Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    M31 can change the landscape past 70km. Russian ones can go further. US Doctrine is focused on using penetration air attacks for the deeper fight, as well as having relatively uncontested airspace.
    Sorry I should have said rocket assisted artillery, not rocket propelled. But I’m just googling shit and reading papers. It’s kinda incredible the declassified material on our weapons systems.

Googling seems to say that Russian MLRS is almost all unguided but the US uses mostly guided? Is the M31 guided to GPS coordinates only or does it actively seek targets in a defined area?

Seems like this conflict would have been a good use case for the BAT MLRS munitions that were cancelled. Either way I hope the 72 m777 howitzers are accompanied by a couple dozen m270a1 MLRS systems.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Name:  164C6C78-CD55-46F7-8F87-5BE9E3483AB7.png
Views: 465
Size:  343.8 KB
    And he knew Pooty's FSB assassin's were gonna Novachek him next. Excellent FU move. Some FSB goons got the bullet for failing to whack him before he got out.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    The West has the upper hand in wars of attrition.
    Sure, in 1945. And now vs anemic Russia. The question will be, what happens when it is the West vs industrial powerhouse and lower cost of production China.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Not to mention nearly infinite expendable troops.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Sorry I should have said rocket assisted artillery, not rocket propelled. But I’m just googling shit and reading papers. It’s kinda incredible the declassified material on our weapons systems.

Googling seems to say that Russian MLRS is almost all unguided but the US uses mostly guided? Is the M31 guided to GPS coordinates only or does it actively seek targets in a defined area?

Seems like this conflict would have been a good use case for the BAT MLRS munitions that were cancelled. Either way I hope the 72 m777 howitzers are accompanied by a couple dozen m270a1 MLRS systems.

Any MLRS is an area weapon, made to kill everything in a grid square with indirect hellfire and frags. Like if you want to shred a battery of MLRS or howitzers, or clusterbomb an airfield or supply depot.

A 155mm howitzer has traditionally been made to drop different types of shells in a 10m square, but guided munitions can put them in tank hatches next to buildings, or blow up in the 7th floor hallway of an 11-story building, or 30 feet underground.

Artillery in general is also a terror weapon. You don't have to get fragged or shellshocked to become scarred from artillery. Slamming doors and fireworks can have you sweating and jumping and heart zapping for years afterwards... I watched a guy lose years off his life when someone blew off a seal bomb at a river party. Dude was pale and sweaty for a half hour...Then drank hard until he was carried out by his buds. Seems his unit had been mortared nightly for weeks in Afg, like, 5 years before. Not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Artillery in general is also a terror weapon. You don't have to get fragged or shellshocked to become scarred from artillery. Slamming doors and fireworks can have you sweating and jumping and heart zapping for years afterwards... I watched a guy lose years off his life when someone blew off a seal bomb at a river party. Dude was pale and sweaty for a half hour...Then drank hard until he was carried out by his buds. Seems his unit had been mortared nightly for weeks in Afg, like, 5 years before. Not funny.
    I worked with a race car fabricator who was scarred like that. A couple mechanics had worked with him on a previous team, and someone in that teams shop blew up a dry ice bottle bomb. Apparently it freaked the guy out real bad. Sadly a few years after I had worked with him I heard he had taken his own life.

That reminds me of this post I shared with a friend two months ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220427-100833.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	414560

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    That reminds me of this post I shared with a friend two months ago.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosive_lens
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Sure, in 1945. And now vs anemic Russia. The question will be, what happens when it is the West vs industrial powerhouse and lower cost of production China.
    Xi believes "The East is rising, the West is declining." He's wrong. The graphic shows why Russian or Chinese 'Country-First' selfish self interest is self defeating:

Name:  East vs West.png
Views: 406
Size:  115.0 KB

The Western liberal order of alliances, cooperation, and trade matters. Even though Japan is in the East, for example, the country is allied with the U.S. making the 'West' with its massive advantage in GDP, industry, and technology all the countries opposing Russia.

Graphic Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the...ts_pos1&page=1

Things are definitely shaping up in the west. From a Russian bot: "Two days ago was an attack in Tiraspol, shown here, where a few definitely not of Russian shoot RPGs at a state building." Yesterday, messages were spammed all over talking about how Ukraine is itching to invade Transnistria, so it is important to mobilize. Today they're now effectively under martial law, to the extent there are any laws. It seems that these messages are being pitched specifically to Transnistria, telling them that the rest of Moldova should come defend them from the "bloodthirsty Ukraines."

Just recently, Putin gave a preparatory speech in the Duma talking about "western provocation."

The actual goal here, whilst still kinda murky, deeply concerns me. Putin will get nowhere in Transnistria, but it doesn't matter. The point is to demonstrate to the Russian people that the war is bigger than Ukraine, and he'll be forced to take further "protective actions."
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Actual goals other than Putin sowing chaos could be as straightforward as cutting supplies crossing over from Romania as well as keeping Ukrainian troops deployed around Odessa from being sent elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    And he knew Pooty's FSB assassin's were gonna Novachek him next. Excellent FU move. Some FSB goons got the bullet for failing to whack him before he got out.

china still has gaping industrial holes - avionics, jet engines (they tried to buy Ukraine’s engine maker and were blocked), among others. The test will be the type 003 aircraft carrier - the first domestic built and designed. The prior two aircraft carrier came from Ukraine as well

An M31 is guided. I’m just a ground dude but I have high confidence in the DPICM version making tanks/vehicles go away at 70km if they are generally in the area it’s fired in.

Trained Dolphins!

Name:	Screenshot_20220427-151406.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	414590

Link to the article: https://news.usni.org/2022/04/27/tra...te-photos-show

Trained Dolphins!

Name:	Screenshot_20220427-151406.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	414590

Link to the article: https://news.usni.org/2022/04/27/tra...te-photos-show
    Since 1959, the U.S. Navy has trained dolphins and sea lions as teammates for our Sailors and Marines to help guard against similar threats underwater. The Navy's Marine Mammal Program has been homeported on Point Loma since the 1960's.”

https://www.niwcpacific.navy.mil/marine-mammal-program/

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Since 1959, the U.S. Navy has trained dolphins and sea lions as teammates for our Sailors and Marines to help guard against similar threats underwater. The Navy's Marine Mammal Program has been homeported on Point Loma since the 1960's.”

https://www.niwcpacific.navy.mil/marine-mammal-program/
    Remember this?

The whale appeared beginning on 26 April 2019 north of Hammerfest, off the island of Ingøya and near the village of Tufjord on the island of Rolvsøya, wearing a tight-fitting camera harness labelled "Equipment St. Petersburg", and rubbing against boats in apparent attempts to free himself. Animal rescue staff and fishers worked to free him from the harness, a fisher named Joar Hesten finally putting on a survival suit and jumping over the side of the boat to loosen the buckles. The whale continued to return to the boats for several days, asking for food and playing fetch, and has shown himself to be very tame, coming when called and liking to be scratched around the blowhole. He later followed a boat to Hammerfest harbour.
    And I thought Hammerfest was just a Welsh metal festival...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hvaldimir

Remember this?

And I thought Hammerfest was just a Welsh metal festival...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hvaldimir
    Well, I didn’t until this jogged my memory.

Name:  02A37312-FE03-450C-80F5-EB7DB519C24C.jpeg
Views: 540
Size:  432.7 KB

Name:	Image1651111562.947887.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	700.8 KB 
ID:	414612

Where’s Tgapp?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What is being shot in this clip?

Just popped up on WhatsApp…..

Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post

Dunno but it looks to be from some sort of video game.

Clearly a simulation of some sort.

ATGMs are traveling too fast and straight at first look. Plus they are direct impact not top impact. Explosion on the first hit is also more indicative of a video game or simulation than an actual ATGM hit, unless it’s being taken out by the protective measures.
    Tanks and non fighting vehicles are in some sort of confusion and lack any formation without a clear cause
    The small SAM that appears to shoot down the Mi-24 lacks the size for a guiding system, sufficient warhead and propellant.

They just sit there in the open and don’t get any return fire despite facing a company (-) of tanks and an attack helicopter despite being the only position involved in this ambush.

It was pretty entertaining at least

Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post

Penis rockets from the paddled room.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.