Page 271 of 663 FirstFirst ... 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,775 of 16551

Thread: Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There is poking the bear, and there is fucking the bear.
    Wake up the gimp.

Best captchaName:  FB_IMG_1650664354396.jpeg
Views: 435
Size:  40.1 KB

https://rusi.org/explore-our-researc...erial-delusion

Operation Z: The Death Throes of an Imperial Delusion”
    interesting report summarizing the war so far; also features some tech information on why sanctions are working - spoiler because Russians don’t make squat in country. For the real nerds the end is a partial tear down of an electronic warfare system

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Putin has a plan- he’s sending a tsarist ship to salvage. Laid down in 1912. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ...e_ship_Kommuna

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    https://rusi.org/explore-our-researc...erial-delusion

Operation Z: The Death Throes of an Imperial Delusion”
    interesting report summarizing the war so far; also features some tech information on why sanctions are working - spoiler because Russians don’t make squat in country. For the real nerds the end is a partial tear down of an electronic warfare system
    That was an interesting read. Thanks!

Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Putin has a plan- he’s sending a tsarist ship to salvage. Laid down in 1912. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ...e_ship_Kommuna
    Money quote from your link….

”Given it will be in the position as where the Moskva was sunk she is at risk of being sunk by Ukrainian forces.”

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    These 2 are lucky not to be on the 21,000 and counting list; and they know it. Fuck Putin.

Damn it. The now-removed video of the kid calling home was really good and I was hoping to forward it to a couple people.

For anyone who didn't catch the second one, there's a moment in the call where the Ru soldier is arguing with his mom and makes it really clear that they've been arguing about politics for a while: he brings up Navalny's arrest and she instantly interrupts with "your Navalny!" and proceeds to defend Putin some more.

I'm sure there's some duress portrayed in those videos, but I couldn't doubt that guy's sincerity after seeing that. He had his eyes open more than most, while his mom was a perfect example of the effectiveness of propoganda.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Damn it. The now-removed video of the kid calling home was really good and I was hoping to forward it to a couple people.

For anyone who didn't catch the second one, there's a moment in the call where the Ru soldier is arguing with his mom and makes it really clear that they've been arguing about politics for a while: he brings up Navalny's arrest and she instantly interrupts with "your Navalny!" and proceeds to defend Putin some more.

I'm sure there's some duress portrayed in those videos, but I couldn't doubt that guy's sincerity after seeing that. He had his eyes open more than most, while his mom was a perfect example of the effectiveness of propoganda.
    Fox News was a Russian Active Measure from the very beginning?

A skier reacts to an explicit propaganda video:

Too bad that wonderful video which galvanized my existing point of view was taken down. I wanted to share it to propagandize others. Those Russians have have a real propaganda problem.

----
    Apologies for the cheap shot but let's have some perspective here.
    Last edited by Charlie Don't Surf; 04-23-2022 at 05:43 AM.

Progoanda? I want me sum a dat!

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Progoanda? I want me sum a dat!
    Lol touche

I've got to stop posting from the phone

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    A skier reacts to an explicit propaganda video:

Too bad that wonderful video which galvanized my existing point of view was taken down. I wanted to share it to propagandize others. Those Russians have have a real propaganda problem.

----
    Apologies for the cheap shot but let's have some perspective here.
    Are you unable to learn from propoganda? Do you imagine that others only do so by accepting the intended message of the propagandist? I assume the opposite, but I'll admit my assumption is probably the less common.

Perspective is a very individual thing. Projecting our own often serves as an excuse to avoid educating ourselves on the perspective of others.

For example, did you watch the video in question, or do you just need to oppose a narrative that you perceive in my post? Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce the video so my post is necessarily incomplete. I mentioned about 0.1% of it.

Mass graves, booby traps for kids, dead civilians in the streets, Russia eyeing expansion into Moldova, all while threatening nuclear for “interference.” This is fucking disgusting and meant for history books not an integrated and modern world.

It's Orthodox Easter so Russian troops are bombing civilians and writing 'Christ is risen!' on their artillery shells. The Russian army is also seriously attrited:

Name:  Intercepted call between a Rus. soldier and his mom.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  86.7 KB

-Compared with the armies of many NATO members, Russian ground forces have a higher ratio of artillery and other supporting arms to what are known as maneuver units, such as tank and motorized rifle units.

- Maneuver units, as well as elite spetsnaz (special forces) and airborne forces, will be vital to a new offensive in Donbas. But these are precisely the ones which have borne the brunt of Russian casualties.

- There are indications that many Russian BTGs invaded Ukraine at only partial strength. Now there is little left in reserve.

- Russia faces other problems, too. Its objectives are obvious, robbing it of the element of surprise. That means Ukraine has the opportunity to disrupt those plans, and can seize the initiative.

- That Russia has chosen to send more units, possibly more than ten BTGs, since the war began from critical garrisons such as Kaliningrad, Tajikistan and the breakaway region of South Ossetia in Georgia underscores the extent of its problems.

- What does this mean for the forthcoming battles in Donbas? An attacking force typically seeks a three-to-one numerical advantage over the defender, if not more. That degree of superiority is now probably beyond Russia, except at the tactical level in some locations.

- As long as Ukraine can prevent Russia from encircling a large share of its forces, Russian tactical or operational successes will probably fail to add up to strategic gains.

https://www.economist.com/by-invitat...onbas/21808954

Attrition...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FQ9-n8zWUAAm0P8.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	414099

Are you unable to learn from propoganda? Do you imagine that others only do so by accepting the intended message of the propagandist? I assume the opposite, but I'll admit my assumption is probably the less common.
    Perspective is a very individual thing. Projecting our own often serves as an excuse to avoid educating ourselves on the perspective of others.
    I don't disagree with you.

For example, did you watch the video in question, or do you just need to oppose a narrative that you perceive in my post? Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce the video so my post is necessarily incomplete. I mentioned about 0.1% of it.
    I watched a couple minuets of the video, skipping around. I don't really have the inclination or patience to watch these sorts of humiliation POW or hostage videos. No doubt the tactic has been very effective for Ukraine in their messaging for both the west and in Russia.

If I am reading into a narrative in your post it is that the illiberal media control in Russia is to blame for lack of domestic opposition, and I agree. My point being that it is then it is a bit rich to use these sorts clearly illegal POW videos to be promoting said narrative.

Chancellor Sholz:

Asked in an extensive interview published on Friday why he thought delivering tanks could lead to nuclear war, he said there was no rule book that stated when Germany could be considered a party to the war in Ukraine.

"That's why it is all the more important that we consider each step very carefully and coordinate closely with one another," he was quoted as saying. "To avoid an escalation towards NATO is a top priority for me.

"That's why I don't focus on polls or let myself be irritated by shrill calls. The consequences of an error would be dramatic."

And on oil embargo

He also addressed calls for blocking Russian natural gas: "I absolutely do not see how a gas embargo would end the war. If (Russian President Vladimir) Putin were open to economic arguments, he would never have begun this crazy war," Scholz said.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Attrition...
    Even the unedited photo is bizarre. Putin more or less sat like that for the entire meeting with Shoigu. If a photo could talk...

Name:  If a photograph could talk...jpg
Views: 550
Size:  29.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Chancellor Sholz:

Asked in an extensive interview published on Friday why he thought delivering tanks could lead to nuclear war, he said there was no rule book that stated when Germany could be considered a party to the war in Ukraine.

"That's why it is all the more important that we consider each step very carefully and coordinate closely with one another," he was quoted as saying. "To avoid an escalation towards NATO is a top priority for me.

"That's why I don't focus on polls or let myself be irritated by shrill calls. The consequences of an error would be dramatic."

And on oil embargo

He also addressed calls for blocking Russian natural gas: "I absolutely do not see how a gas embargo would end the war. If (Russian President Vladimir) Putin were open to economic arguments, he would never have begun this crazy war," Scholz said.
    "This is a fundamental problem of German foreign policy," says Stefan Meister, a Russia expert at the think tank German Council on Foreign Relations: "People often stick too long to diplomatic processes that are increasingly devoid of meaning." ... "Trying to build a security architecture with Russia, that was worth all the energy." What is happening now, he says, is a tragedy, for people, for security, for prosperity.

https://www.zeit.de/zustimmung?url=h...russia-english

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Chancellor Sholz:

And on oil embargo

"I don't want to do anything and I am a giant fucking pussy. I'll keep paying off a murderer and not helping friends because it is convenient and politically expedient for ME." - Herr Sholz
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    I don't disagree with you.

I watched a couple minuets of the video, skipping around. I don't really have the inclination or patience to watch these sorts of humiliation POW or hostage videos. No doubt the tactic has been very effective for Ukraine in their messaging for both the west and in Russia.

If I am reading into a narrative in your post it is that the illiberal media control in Russia is to blame for lack of domestic opposition, and I agree. My point being that it is then it is a bit rich to use these sorts clearly illegal POW videos to be promoting said narrative.
    Which was my point in commenting on that particular one: I don't think that guy was being coerced generally (there were things they said and cuts taken that indicate he'd agreed to "be honest" for whatever that meant) so much as he was one of the minority of Russians who was getting his news from the internet rather than state TV. The detail I mentioned took literally 1 or 2 seconds but it did not sound rehearsed in any way.

https://instagram.com/shiah_lints
    Insta of a Seattle photojournalist currently in Ukraine I've been following.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    "I don't want to do anything and I am a giant fucking pussy. I'll keep paying off a murderer and not helping friends because it is convenient and politically expedient for ME." - Herr Sholz
    Actually, i think he's rational. There's no way that Germany, or Europe, can survive in the short and medium term without Russian gas.

And he doesn't want to start ww3

Ukraine reporting two more Russian generals killed, one wounded critically.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7266ACA7-008E-432F-8263-0E67CB6500A2.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	367.1 KB 
ID:	414107