Page 411 of 664 FirstFirst ... 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 ... LastLast
Results 10,251 to 10,275 of 16597

Thread: Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Who is he is he anyway?
    Just another shitass that figured out they could make a lot more money grifting the right.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Brand’s voice is too much like Fox’s voices. Kind of like Dump, too.
    I just cannot make myself listen to it.

Long haired, spiritual, white guy who is telling you how to think and act while wearing flowing robes? Jesus obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Zelensky just recommended Nato strike first with nukes.

Anyone down with that? Hurry up and reply if you are.
    Like that’s going to happen. Dude, there’s nuclear doctrine to follow, NATO won’t be the one to disregard that. Settle down.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Admittedly I am curious if I should duck and cover and suffer radiation poisoning and then die or if I should just get the dying over quickly.
    OK so here it goes... this is dark but you asked.

In nuclear attack in the current times, the vast majority of the population survives the attack and actually not that many people die of radiation in the population. Burn and blast injuries and their complications, particularly when exacerbated by radiation sickness (Combined Injury Syndrome) with an overwhelmed healthcare system, are what end up killings the most people who were in the vicinity of the bomb. Within a certain inner radius of destruction, there is not much hope of survival, but more than half the potential casualties, maybe many more than half, are outside that radius.

Duck and Cover is not really a joke... it was turned into a joke by the cold war commie funded anti-nukers who wanted to propagate the idea that nuclear war was unsurvivable because it drove a political movement beneficial to their masters. If you have spent time studying the effects of nuclear weapons, you know this is BS.

Duck and cover is a way to cut civilian casualties in a VERY significant way by reducing burns, blast, and shrapnel damage.

1. Burns: big thermonukes found on current missiles actually take several seconds to emit their thermal energy that causes burns. Even modern Russian warheads are so large that less than half (maybe only 30%) of the thermal energy from the explosion is emitted in the first second for the explosion while the rest of the thermal takes nearly 10+ additional seconds to emit. So if you are 5 miles from a 475kt burst in the open and instinctually duck and cover instead of standing frozen, you could easily prevent 3rd degree burns (extreme mortality rate) and end up with no burns or just 1st degree (like a minor sunburn) or no burns (extremely survivable). This is a range with negligible prompt ionizing radiation dose and you are now fit enough to exfil before fallout.

2. Blast: if you are out in the open, wind and overpressure can smack you like a baseball bat and pick you up blowing and throwing you through the air like a rag doll causing fractures, concussions, impalement... death either now or soon. Duck behind something and you are spared almost all that effect. Exposed in the open there is enough wind blast at 4 miles to throw you and break bones on a 475kt Russian warhead, but you have many seconds (~15) to react and take cover before the blast arrives.

3. Shrapnel: people instinctually want to look and see what that flash was.... just look at the insidious double bomb strategy used by Al Qaeda in the Kenya Embassy bombings: a small blast to get people to the windows, followed by a big blast shredding people with the windows. For that Russian warhead, at that same 4-5 miles distance, most of the people exposed close to a window are going to have greater than 1cm lacerations from glass fragments, including many with eye/facial lacs. If you duck and cover, all of these casualties are reduced/prevented. If you are in the open, debris blown by the blast wind will cause trauma and lacerations unless protected by ducking. Again 10-15 seconds to react.

Nuclear attack is among the most horrific thing you could imagine. With modern missile delivered thermonukes, inside a certain radius, casualties are going to be extreme, but as you exit that radius, most of the area affected by the bomb is a zone where most of the injuries can be prevented and fatal injuries mitigated to survivable injuries if people duck/cover/shelter.

Radiation from fallout at 2 weeks can be as low as 0.01% what it was right after the explosion.

Nuclear war would be an unacceptable horror, yet survivable to most.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Bullshit. They told us not to wear masks at the start of the pandemic. Buy and hodl iodine.
    I mean there is protection from I-131 which does occur as one component among many in nuclear fallout, it is just low risk mitigation if you are an adult and even less the older you are. So the question to you is are you buying KI tablets or are you doing something that is more meaningful in protecting yourself, like having 2 weeks of nonperishable food and supplies on hand which is useful for all kinds of emergencies?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I’m a bit creeped out on how much you know about the death and destruction from the many weapons of war

Everybody needs a hobby I guess.

I’m glad I’m a good 40 + miles from any respectable target. Although the way Russian shit shoots 40 miles is probably well within their error radius.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Long haired, spiritual, white guy who is telling you how to think and act while wearing flowing robes? Jesus obviously.
    jesus wasn’t white

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I’m a bit creeped out on how much you know about the death and destruction from the many weapons of war

A giant narcissistic tool who provides very helpful services for the general population but is completely out of touch with reality, can never admit he is wrong, and is completely out of their element when it comes to foreign policy but still views themselves as an expert.

I'll let you debate whether I'm talking about Elon or Cono

In the spirit of Brangelina and Bennifer, I'm going with Colon.

How does it end? Also good reading for anyone freaked out about nukes (Cono?). Hint, the Russians are bluffing, probably.
    https://snyder.substack.com/p/how-do...-ukrainian-war
    Russian internal politics (e.g. power struggle for Moscow) means better to have all the Russian troops in Russia = no one to fight in Ukraine.

Along summit's discussion, there's books floating around about Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Yes they were pretty terrible and we shouldn't repeat. But, those two towns were saved for the nuke demonstration. What were they saved from? Oh, just a horrific firebombing campaign. The nukes were somewhat less harmful than firebombing the rest of Japan cities suffered. So, while it'd be great if humans got rid of the nukes, it'd be even better if we figured out how to do politics without war.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    A giant narcissistic tool who provides very helpful services for the general population but is completely out of touch with reality, can never admit he is wrong, and is completely out of their element when it comes to foreign policy but still views themselves as an expert.

I'll let you debate whether I'm talking about Elon or Cono
    Do I have to pick just one?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    In the spirit of Brangelina and Bennifer, I'm going with Colon.
    haha
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    How does it end?
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I’m glad I’m a good 40 + miles from any respectable target.
    You dummy. What's worse, being evaporated instantly or having to live a feral life constantly worried about being captured by apes on horses with nets?

Maybe Summit or one of you other smart people can explain to me how the apes became so advanced after nuclear war. Did the radiation fundamentaly alter their DNA?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

This brightened my morning.

https://twitter.com/RikhardHusu/stat...8fnRF0EqQ&s=19

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    This brightened my morning.

https://twitter.com/RikhardHusu/stat...8fnRF0EqQ&s=19

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Cono just pissed himself, he’s got another sorority event to attend.

She's a hot box of rocks. I'd vote for her.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You dummy. What's worse, being evaporated instantly or having to live a feral life constantly worried about being captured by apes on horses with nets?

Maybe Summit or one of you other smart people can explain to me how the apes became so advanced after nuclear war. Did the radiation fundamentaly alter their DNA?
    Just run into the corn - Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Along summit's discussion, there's books floating around about Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Yes they were pretty terrible and we shouldn't repeat. But, those two towns were saved for the nuke demonstration. What were they saved from? Oh, just a horrific firebombing campaign. The nukes were somewhat less harmful than firebombing the rest of Japan cities suffered. So, while it'd be great if humans got rid of the nukes, it'd be even better if we figured out how to do politics without war.
    I’m no historian, but consider myself pretty well informed. Just recently, I learned if Operation Meetinghouse/The Great Tokyo Fire Raid of March 10, 1945. Sixteen square miles of Tokyo was burned, an estimated 100k people were killed and 1 million people were left homeless by USAF B-29s. In a single day. Though estimates vary, it seems that this was nearly if not more destructive than either A bomb dropped on Japan, though trying to compare these horrendous events makes me want to vomit. It seems that humans have a variety of tools that cause similar quantities of death and suffering.

It seems that humans have a variety of tools that cause similar quantities of death and suffering.
    That's how you can identify an apex species.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I think going forward, everyone posting should disclose if they have kids, pets, or an affinity for the outdoors. The ocean, the mountains, trees etc. something that proves they have skin the game.

If your old, childless, burn your leaves to piss off your neighbor, please put a star next to your name so we know where you’re coming from.

I have two kids. Both freshman. I love salt water fishing, snorkeling, and high speed groomers that make my teeth chatter.

nobody here likes the outdoors
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I have two kids. Both freshman. I love salt water fishing, snorkeling, and high speed groomers that make my teeth chatter.
    Let's ask some Ukrainian parents who wanted to take their freshman kids skiing this winter and instead see them on the front trying to stop barbarians from raping and pillaging their towns.