Page 385 of 664 FirstFirst ... 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 ... LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,625 of 16600

Thread: Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    Someone tried to blow up Putin... sadly doesn't sound like it worked.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...lensky-updates
    Wow, this is still not on the network news yet…
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Someone tried to blow up Putin... sadly doesn't sound like it worked.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...lensky-updates
    False flag so he can justify nuking Ukraine?

That sounds like an FSB false flag event for sure. Not on main stream news, because they actually try and verify facts before publishing.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    That sounds like an FSB false flag event for sure. Not on main stream news, because they actually try and verify facts before publishing.
    Definitely plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    My position has not changed. They will end up ultimately negotiating for peace or it will be ww3. I do not see them retaking any lost territory.
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    - Chamberlain Este
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Also could be a pressure test to gague/ rally support for Putin domestically.

Damn, crazy shit either way.

Not seeing a single thing on any other news source, did this actually happen?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Also could be a pressure test to gague/ rally support for Putin domestically.
    This was my first thought, too. If the NRA claims they did it next I'm gonna be even more skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Not seeing a single thing on any other news source, did this actually happen?
    Did it really need to?

Russia blows up dam. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62910245

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9n0rywEq9z8

The Russians used penal battalions in WW2 to great effect.

Marching in formation across mine fields with machine guns trained at their backs if they run or retreat and other suicidal fun.

Read history.
    watch out for snakes

Russia's not going to leave thee without melting down that nuke plant on their way out. They'll try to blame it on the Ukrainians.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Fortunately they just finished shutting that place down. But even if they did blow it up, the prevailing wind is from the west, that shit would blow straight into Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Fortunately they just finished shutting that place down. But even if they did blow it up, the prevailing wind is from the west, that shit would blow straight into Russia.
    And Belarus

But truly the biggest mess would fall on Ukraine

As reactors go, the ones in Ukraine are modern compared to the US. It is not easy to blow up a western reactor or Russian VVER reactor in a way that spreads a massive amount of contamination a long distance, even if you are trying, even with bombs. It is ironic that those safety statements are true for US reactors designed in the 50s and 60s while the built reactors are 30-50 years old (and we have a dozen that are 50+, only 2 that are <30). European reactors are mostly more modern. I once read a 1970s analysis of potential outcomes of Soviet targeting ICBM warheads against US reactors for boosted yield and damage multiplying. The conclusion was they would obviously knock the plants out, but likely couldn't cause a great deal of additional contamination/damage outside of the immediate area of total nuclear destruction unless they were supremely lucky. It might be different now with modern accurate RVs, but absolutely not worth a Russian warhead with today's limited arsenals.

Chernobyl was a unique pinnacle combination of engineering, operational, and systemic failure.

The worry here is potential local contamination, but more likely the regional economic effects of having massive zero carbon generation capacity offline.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 8.50.33 AM.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	442.9 KB 
ID:	426490
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

This is from Monday, but the video is classic...

Tucker Carlson guest claims Ukraine near defeat – despite stunning successes against Russian invaders

A Tucker Carlson guest claimed that Ukraine was nearing defeat, despite the country staging a massive counteroffensive that has liberated large swathes of the country from Russian control.

Carlson’s top expert on the war, retired Colonel Douglas MacGregor, told viewers of the right-wing Fox News show that “this war may be over soon.:”
    “Right now things are going very, very badly,” for Ukraine he said on Friday night’s show, calling them “desperate.”

And Col MacGregor, a former adviser to the Secretary of Defense in the Trump administration, even added that “They’re losing once again just south of Kharkiv.”

Reports from Ukraine state that the country’s armed forces have pushed Russian forces out of an area in the northeast of the country around Kharkiv.

A Tucker Carlson guest claimed that Ukraine was nearing defeat, despite the country staging a massive counteroffensive that has liberated large swathes of the country from Russian control.
    Carlson’s top expert on the war, retired Colonel Douglas MacGregor, told viewers of the right-wing Fox News show that “this war may be over soon.:”
    “Right now things are going very, very badly,” for Ukraine he said on Friday night’s show, calling them “desperate.”
    And Col MacGregor, a former adviser to the Secretary of Defense in the Trump administration, even added that “They’re losing once again just south of Kharkiv.”
    Reports from Ukraine state that the country’s armed forces have pushed Russian forces out of an area in the northeast of the country around Kharkiv.
    Tucker Carlson's top Russia-Ukraine war expert Douglas MacGregor, on Friday night: "This entire war may be over" soon, "right now things are going very, very badly" for the Ukrainians and they're "desperate," "they're losing once again just south of Kharkiv." pic.twitter.com/BBwCL6QSpB
    — Matthew Gertz (@MattGertz) September 12, 2022

The Ukrainian push started at the end of last week and picked up speed over the weekend, with Russia reportedly abandoning military vehicles and equipment in their haste to retreat.
    Ukraine’s defence ministry posted a video of such vehicles on Twitter on Sunday.

“Russia is trying to maintain its status as the largest supplier of military equipment for the Ukrainian army, and even to improve its status, knowing that lend-lease will soon come into effect. #UAarmy loves its trophy ammo,” the tweet read.

russia is trying to maintain its status as the largest supplier of military equipment for the Ukrainian army, and even to improve its status, knowing that lend-lease will soon come into effect.#UAarmy loves its trophy ammo �� pic.twitter.com/2NMPAPPgP2
    — Defense of Ukraine (@DefenceU) September 11, 2022

Since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February, Carlson has repeatedly been accused of taking pro-Vladimir Putin and Moscow positions on his show.
    In March, the Kremlin told Russian state media that it should feature Carlson’s commentary on the war, according to Mother Jones.

Carlson himself has denied being pro-Russia, telling a conference in July that he doesn’t “really care one way or the other” what Putin does in Ukraine.
    “I’m not a Putin defender, despite what you might have heard,” Carlson told the Family Leadership Summit in Iowa.
    “I don’t really care one way or the other because he’s not my president, he doesn’t preside over my country.”

And he added: “What he does in Ukraine, while I think historically significant, certainly significant to Ukrainians, is not more significant to me than what gas costs. In fact, it’s not even in the same universe.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...JBmd?ocid=EMMX

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/N2QlN2OWoVA

Being a Russian heli pilot is tough work.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    And Belarus

But truly the biggest mess would fall on Ukraine

As reactors go, the ones in Ukraine are modern compared to the US. It is not easy to blow up a western reactor or Russian VVER reactor in a way that spreads a massive amount of contamination a long distance, even if you are trying, even with bombs. It is ironic that those safety statements are true for US reactors designed in the 50s and 60s while the built reactors are 30-50 years old (and we have a dozen that are 50+, only 2 that are <30). European reactors are mostly more modern. I once read a 1970s analysis of potential outcomes of Soviet targeting ICBM warheads against US reactors for boosted yield and damage multiplying. The conclusion was they would obviously knock the plants out, but likely couldn't cause a great deal of additional contamination/damage outside of the immediate area of total nuclear destruction unless they were supremely lucky. It might be different now with modern accurate RVs, but absolutely not worth a Russian warhead with today's limited arsenals.

Chernobyl was a unique pinnacle combination of engineering, operational, and systemic failure.

The worry here is potential local contamination, but more likely the regional economic effects of having massive zero carbon generation capacity offline.
    Good to know.. That needs to be shared in the Climate Change Global Warming discussions. I guess the long term storage/disposal of spent fuel is still problematic though.. But, that's kicking the can a lot farther down the road than continuing to use fossil fuels is.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/N2QlN2OWoVA

Being a Russian heli pilot is tough work.
    What the fuck is wrong with you?

That is so obviously CGI a boomer should be able to tell at a glance!

The idea of a pilot falling/jumping out is ludicrous. Also, the Ka-52 has ejection seats (blows off the rotors first).
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Also, the Ka-52 has ejection seats (blows off the rotors first).
    I can’t stress enough how important that is in ejection system design
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Looks like it used to be a really cool house.
    Zillow Gem?

Ratnik traphouse!

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Video seems legit too. That's a lot of CQC going on there. Can you imagine having to do that day in and day out. Best if the Russians just ran away back to Russia.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch