Page 367 of 663 FirstFirst ... 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 ... LastLast
Results 9,151 to 9,175 of 16555

Thread: Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    What do you mean so?

Pretty bad for Germans, how would you like to spend that much money for heating?

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk
    I was simply commenting, since you failed to do so.

And I find it interesting that the squeeze started well before the actual invasion.
    I'm not laughing at their pain, as I've reiterated many times.

Doesn't matter when the price of gas started going up, I'm just feeling sorry for Germans, that's a big chunk of money they are spending.

The war doesn't help though.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I'd like to get in on this, it sounds lucrative.

Before I do, can you tell me how you ensured that the shares you bought weren't being sold by the company, government, Pootin-allied oligarch or the Russian central bank? Also, who runs the open market? I'd like to make sure my investments don't go to zero if the Duma decides to nationalize these important assets. TIA!
    If i was worried that the investments had blood on them, can't think of too many countries that i would invest in, including the US.
    Iraq, Afghanistan, and that's just recently.

So i separate my investment decisions from morality.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Should we let Rod know about the cost of health care in America?
    Just wanna say it ain’t free over here in DE either….

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Just wanna say it ain’t free over here in DE either….
    Yeah, and energy here isn’t free.

US spends ~$5k more per person, per year on healthcare than Germany does. That would buy a lot of electricity, even at elevated prices. And unlike the German energy costs, there’s no reason to think the elevated US healthcare prices are temporary.

If i was worried that the investments had blood on them, can't think of too many countries that i would invest in, including the US.

Whatabout Wagner Group? Are they publikly traded? How's the P/E?
    related: Do pigs always get slaughtered? A4F

Doesn't matter when the price of gas started going up, I'm just feeling sorry for Germans, that's a big chunk of money they are spending.

The war doesn't help though.
    Putin started his war when he did in the aftermath of global pandemic because he thought the West was its weakest point possible. Russia not only invaded Ukraine, it declared war on Europe. Russia is the enemy.

The best way to help Germany is by defeating Russia in Ukraine. Russia suffering a humiliating defeat in Ukraine likely leads to a 1905 situation resulting in substantial change in Moscow. If there is a stalemate in Ukraine Russia will be economically absorbed by China, not the best news for Europe or America... or your investments.

So instead of 25 HIMARS, send 100. Instead of 7 German Panzerhaubitze 2000s, send 70.

Amazingly it’s much easier to build support for fracking in places that people don’t live or recreate in, and it’s much harder to get support if people live there. Maybe this had something to do with the failure of fracking in Europe in the early 2010s?

there was certainly political capture, but if you decide your energy resources aren’t secure, you are gonna need to spend much more on the military and there wasn’t much appetite for that post mid 1980s. Germany doesn’t have 70 pzh they could send without severely depleting their own capabilities even if they wanted anymore - they only have 108 left. And that’s decades worth of strategic failure.

Oh, ok, I thought you were saying they didn't get any of your money, but I guess it's cool if they did.

I find this argument convincing and wish to invest--in the interest of due diligence, though, just one question, first: if the money is going to Russia or their central bank or a state-controlled company, how do I get paid if they decide not to? Like, let's say they're running a fiat-backed Ponzi scheme and they run out of new investors, so it's just not worth paying the old ones? How do I make sure I get paid before that? Can you connect me to your network of greater fools so I'll know when to get out? Will you be letting us know? Thanks again!

Holy shit guys, stop making US health care and energy prices in Europe falsely equivalent. The fact remains, Europe, the Germans in particular, gambled that Russia had become a trustworthy partner ( under some really questionable negotiations) and lost. Now they have to suck it up and suffer in the short term to avoid a much worse long term pain. Not easy, and I would never claim that the US is dealing with a similar situation - not even close. Europe whining about it is understandable but tedious and presumably short lived; Rod whining about it interminably is irritating and non-productive, probably senile, but we all need to stop responding, myself included. Rod, tell us about couloir skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Oh, ok, I thought you were saying they didn't get any of your money, but I guess it's cool if they did.

I find this argument convincing and wish to invest--in the interest of due diligence, though, just one question, first: if the money is going to Russia or their central bank or a state-controlled company, how do I get paid if they decide not to? Like, let's say they're running a fiat-backed Ponzi scheme and they run out of new investors, so it's just not worth paying the old ones? How do I make sure I get paid before that? Can you connect me to your network of greater fools so I'll know when to get out? Will you be letting us know? Thanks again!
    There's truth in this.

Years ago Soros said that he will never invest in Russia. At the time, i thought i was smarter than him.

It turns out that investing in countries that don't have a solid rule of law is risky.

Was investing in some Russian companies z good idea? No, but now i have to make the best of it.

Btw, just for my Chinese oil company stocks. With all the posturing on both sides, who knows if they will be delisted in the USA?

Ok, here we go

Ok, here we go
    Rod climbs back up to the parking lot after drunkenly stumbling off the berm and landing on the cat road below…

Rod feels sorry for the Germans for paying higher electric bills while the Ukrainians face a genocide and mass rape. Glad to see your priorities are as aligned as ever.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Energy prices in France seem to be a bigger problem than Germany:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE88472C-020E-4454-9E01-60D7B278A1F8.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	424775

https://twitter.com/Jkylebass/status/1562799846758555649?s=20&t=6L7MYfbtZOLSD8tD0C0q-g

30x the 5 year average.

I forget what oil companies you were cheerleading for in the buildup to the war, but isn't the Kremlin the majority shareholder in Gazprom? And in ones in which they don't own the bulk of, like Lukoil, they still have plenty of stake. Seems a little different than picking up a few shares of Disney, but I'm no Gordon Gecko or whoever.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    I forget what oil companies you were cheerleading for in the buildup to the war, but isn't the Kremlin the majority shareholder in Gazprom? And in ones in which they don't own the bulk of, like Lukoil, they still have plenty of stake. Seems a little different than picking up a few shares of Disney, but I'm no Gordon Gecko or whoever.
    The important feature of whataboutism is to make the lesser crime (or non-crime) seem like the shinier object. How dare you be outraged by Russian murder, rape and torture when there are American companies that profit from gender-ambiguous cartoons?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Energy prices in France seem to be a bigger problem than Germany:

Name:	FE88472C-020E-4454-9E01-60D7B278A1F8.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	424775

https://twitter.com/Jkylebass/status/1562799846758555649?s=20&t=6L7MYfbtZOLSD8tD0C0q-g

30x the 5 year average.

Hey bro I only see 2 years in your phone screen shot, not 5? And comparing current to the oil price crash of 2020 seems sorta shady...But whatever, Europeans know Europe has been invaded, and they'll do whatever it takes to put Putain down.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Hey bro I only see 2 years in your phone screen shot, not 5? And comparing current to the oil price crash of 2020 seems sorta shady...But whatever, Europeans know Europe has been invaded, and they'll do whatever it takes to put Putain down.
    Link was supposed to provide more context.

Name:	52605E06-8861-4D08-9F30-C7DED824C9B8.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	424784

https://twitter.com/jkylebass/status...V7akN2ApJSgDKw

Didn't go to his link, bad graphics that distort data are red flags.

France typically exports power to the rest of Europe but drought, on top of Russian gas cuts, has dramatically reduced hydroelectric production across Europe. In addition, low river levels are making it harder to deliver coal on barges to German power plants.

High river water temperatures used to cool steam condensers at all types of thermal power plants, including at nuclear, coal, and gas-fired plants is also restricting power generation. Further problems are being caused by underinvestment and delayed inspections as two years of backlogged maintenance forces France to take its thermal power plants offline.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Didn't go to his link, bad graphics that distort data are red flags.
    This link more suitable?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tens#xj4y7vzkgI’m

Well, France better get off it's lazy ass and help Ukraine win the war before winter sets in.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

France and Germany are the 800lb gorillas of Europe. Together they consume around 2/3rds Europe's power and similarly dominate EU politics. Without the trillions they've spent on Russian energy, there would be no Ukraine war. From their perspective however integrating Ukraine aligned with Poland and other countries with strong capable leadership like Czechia, Estonia, Finland into the EU could lessen their dominance over time.

Although, they'd be better off if that happened. The European power grid would be much more reliable and less dependent on Russian gas if, along with comparatively advantageous North/Latin America, North Africa, Middle East energy, member countries contributed more to the energy mix.