Page 358 of 658 FirstFirst ... 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 ... LastLast
Results 8,926 to 8,950 of 16431

Thread: Ukraine

Yeah, Western artillery & HIMARS have made a huge difference. Last spring Russian artillery was situated much closer to the front lines making it possible for them to shell deeper into Ukrainian controlled territory. Russia was forced to move their artillery back after more accurate Western counter batteries were brought to bear.

There were a few people here who said Ukrainians were incapable of mastering advanced equipment but as expected, experienced Ukrainian operators easily adjusted to Western-made weapons systems.

When I heard some military types say "Ukies are dumb" I took it as war propaganda. Why The slow walk I don't know. OTOH, training a pilot to fly it, point and fire one off it is the easy part of deploying a weapon. Dozens more need to train to put him in the air.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

I hope so.

Just posted up a damaged SU 24 that looks to be mostly obliterated.

Between this and the magas going full double down crazy today, it is almost too much news to absorb.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1...Jj7Qs_DYQ&s=19

It does make you wonder what they were using. Ukrainians saying it was a made it Ukraine device...which could mean Neptune Anti Ship in land attack mode. Also evidence the Ukr is using pylon mounted US supplied anti radar missiles has people speculating we have been seeing UKR aircraft incursing into Russian controlled airspace after blinding them. Or longer range HIMARS. Or..whatever they were, damned effective.

God damn! Ukraine brought the pain to Ivan today. Putin must be having a hissy fit, probably screaming at some subordinate for allowing this to happen. It will be interesting to see what Russia does in response. My guess are missile attacks on the government in Kiev, although he maybe afraid that Ukraine might then go after more government targets in Russia, and we are talking about a guy who sits at 20’ long tables to keep people away from him.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Yeah, Western artillery & HIMARS have made a huge difference. Last spring Russian artillery was situated much closer to the front lines making it possible for them to shell deeper into Ukrainian controlled territory. Russia was forced to move their artillery back after more accurate Western counter batteries were brought to bear.

There were a few people here who said Ukrainians were incapable of mastering advanced equipment but as expected, experienced Ukrainian operators easily adjusted to Western-made weapons systems.
    which, coupled with Russia not having enough of the right drones and a shitty command structure, means Russia just lobs shells at a field hoping for a hit OR per Russian reports moves some artillery even closer to the front where it can be spotted by the shaky janky Orlan10 drones with the canon camera and pop bottle fuel tank…… and said artillery is more vulnerable

in other news, todays Hellscape Bingo entry is “Steven Seagall covers up Russian war crimes”
    https://mobile.twitter.com/visegrad24

Lots of reports that Russian artillery barrels are worn out and need replacements but there’s none available so they just keep firing. Eventually this results in the gun exploding. If they’re lucky it breaks near the muzzle, if they aren’t the whole thing blows up, killing or maiming the crew. This does wonders for morale as you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    God damn! Ukraine brought the pain to Ivan today. Putin must be having a hissy fit, probably screaming at some subordinate for allowing this to happen. It will be interesting to see what Russia does in response. My guess are missile attacks on the government in Kiev, although he maybe afraid that Ukraine might then go after more government targets in Russia, and we are talking about a guy who sits at 20’ long tables to keep people away from him.

My guess is Putin has not been told of the strike on the Crimean base. And if he has been briefed, it will have been minimized by those doing the debriefing. It's really going to suck when Putin finds out the truth, that he's been lied to all this time. Then what? Kill some generals with a 20mm AA gun?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Lots of reports that Russian artillery barrels are worn out and need replacements but there’s none available so they just keep firing. Eventually this results in the gun exploding. If they’re lucky it breaks near the muzzle, if they aren’t the whole thing blows up, killing or maiming the crew. This does wonders for morale as you can imagine.

instead of replacing barrels they just dig more units out of storage, they pulled a bunch of rust bucket Pion out of storage two weeks ago. We are watching Russia turn itself into Chinas gimp.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    which, coupled with Russia not having enough of the right drones and a shitty command structure, means Russia just lobs shells at a field hoping for a hit OR per Russian reports moves some artillery even closer to the front where it can be spotted by the shaky janky Orlan10 drones with the canon camera and pop bottle fuel tank…… and said artillery is more vulnerable

in other news, todays Hellscape Bingo entry is “Steven Seagall covers up Russian war crimes”
    More partial to Steve 'N Seagulls:

I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post

Steven Segal was always a bad actor.

Speaking of bad actors, two years ago today Russian puppet Lukashenko subverted Democracy and stole the election in Belarus. Millions protested and were violently repressed. Tens of thousands were arrested. Many disappeared forever.

Objectively, Svetlana Tikhanovskaya won the election and if she had become president the war in Ukraine may well have been avoided because there would be no Russian dreams of resurrecting the Soviet Union and no Bela-Russian bases to stage the invasion of Ukraine from the north.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Steven Segal was always a bad actor.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I saw something to the effect that when a UKR defense minister was asked about exploding Russian air force bases in Crimea, he reminded people not to smoke around munitions. That's just cold.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

^^Russia claimed it was a fire...so...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Still_Fas...42465840009220

Maybe this belongs in Kitty Stoke thread? IDK...

https://imgur.com/a/dfuzUKx
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    ^^Russia claimed it was a fire...so...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Still_Fas...42465840009220
    It might have been orc on orc violence/sabotage. This would explain why Russia says it was an accident and why Ukraine said “it wasn’t us”

Russia to empty the jails to fight in Ukraine. This is both reprehensible and unsustainable. Russia must evacuate to their borders.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/09/europ...ntl/index.html
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    Russia to empty the jails to fight in Ukraine. This is both reprehensible and unsustainable. Russia must evacuate to their borders.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/09/europ...ntl/index.html
    Name:  IMG_1340.JPG
Views: 481
Size:  24.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    It might have been orc on orc violence/sabotage. This would explain why Russia says it was an accident and why Ukraine said “it wasn’t us”
    That was absolutely a multiple missile strike, but we have reached the portion of our program where we find the humor in the predictability of Russian lies. And luckily for Ukraine they have a strong sense of humor scattered throughout their leadership.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

I don't think we know the mechanism for how UKR blew that airport up. Claiming 9 aircraft were destroyed so incredibly successful. No incoming missiles seen on videos.

This source told WAPO it was Ukr special forces so that would presumably be an infiltration?

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1...Zmu49NiMw&s=19
    Last edited by uglymoney; 08-10-2022 at 09:43 AM.

Specops, MLRS, cruise missiles, careless conscripts with cigs... who knows?

The Russians know... and the Ukranians know... and neither side wants to publicly admit it?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

FWIW, it's in Ukraine's interest to sow confusion in Russia over the attack. From Russia's perspective admitting Ukraine carried out a successful attack looks bad for 1) their base security if SOF operation or 2) their air defense if missile attack.

A state of emergency was declared in Russian-occupied Crimea following explosions at the Russian airbase. A Russian woman complains her vacation was cut short while stuck in a 60mile long traffic jam:

https://twitter.com/Lt_Kizhe/status/1557110513557032960

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I don't think we know the mechanism for how UKR blew that airport up. Claiming 9 aircraft were destroyed so incredibly successful. No incoming misses seen on videos.

This source tole WAPO it was Ukr special forces so thst would presumably be an infiltration?

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1...Zmu49NiMw&s=19

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Fair point. I should have said it's a Ukrainian attack, not an accident. Accidents are a lot less likely to just propogate down lines like that.

Speculation that this was another use of kamikaze drones is out there, too. Lots of options and it's encouraging that it's gone this long without specifics. Hopefully that lasts a while.