Page 451 of 662 FirstFirst ... 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 ... LastLast
Results 11,251 to 11,275 of 16546

Thread: Ukraine

Ukrainian Girl Scouts are #2?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Well the Romans invaded a lot of people and there was the whole "Pax Romana" deal for quite a while. And Genghis Khan took it a lot easier of cities that didn't resist. What do I win?
    The history prize. We should not go deeper but both of those "visited" and have a hand in Ukrainian history. Is Crimea belong to Mongolian?

All that was about was Cisco said prove him wrong so...

Well, the Black Hand/Mafia made life easier for the Sicilians when they ran the island, nuance. Sad and insane as it is war is, we gotta help them kill lots of Russian soldiers until we can give them enough of our air defense toys. Ground war should heat up when the fields freeze. From what I'm hearing in 1st hand reports from cities under siege, those Ukes are unified and are in it to win it whatever it takes. One guy said he had to move from spot to spot to attend global tech meeting and keep his job. I imagine the boys at the front feel the same way X 10.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Ukrainian Girl Scouts are #2?
    I was gonna say the Ukrainian partisans but your answer is good too

A ( now ) local bro at the craft brew told me he got here from Russia 1 month before the war started and the Russian gov have since sent a draft notice to his mom

Comrade is the figure skating coach, once he got used to the different work ethic compared to the euro system ( you are a baby sitter) and relaxed it was all good

Comrade does nott plan to go back to mother Russia cuz what with the beer/girls/ music Canada is just so much fun eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Canadians have a “work ethic”? Or do you mean lack of it?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    All that was about was Cisco said prove him wrong so...
    I see. Carry on. I don't think it's proof, but I'll stay out of that rabbit hole.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000587979001

I’ve listened to this podcast most days, today was fantastic. Some of the points covered were the idiotic comments of the pope https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63789475.amp

And the reporting that China has been setting conditions with the West and Russia; US you don’t give Ukraine Migs and we won’t provide arms to Russia.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I listen to that podcast almost every day too but missed that one. Great stuff. .

"The "cruellest" troops are generally Chechens and Buryats," - The Pope

Is this statement true, false or debatable in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    I listen to that podcast almost every day too but missed that one. Great stuff. .

I'm sure it's true.
    They were pretty barbaric in ww2 also.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

It wouldn't surprise me that the Pope wanted to call a spade a spade to atone for the Churches response to WWII Nazi's and Fascists. Not that there should be a 1st prize for cruelty but in WWII the professional Moroccan mercenary troops were judged by history as #1 on the Allied side. Russia was #2.
    Name:  goumiers1.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  88.8 KB

The Vatican probably issued that statement in a misguided effort not to antagonize the Orthodox church. Like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, arguing about whether one group of Russians is crueler than another hardly matters when the Russian State as a matter of policy is sanctioning genocide.

The Pope is engaging in the ugliest form of bigotry by suggesting Christians are less evil than non-Christians. The Pope does not single out Putin and says such acts of cruelty are not in the Russian tradition even though we all know by now the Russian way of warfare is maximal cruelty, including inflicting cruelty on its own troops. Conscripts are specifically subject to horrific hazing during training to dehumanize them so that they mindlessly follow horrific battlefield orders.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    The Vatican probably issued that statement in a misguided effort not to antagonize the Orthodox church. Like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, arguing about whether one group of Russians is crueler than another hardly matters when the Russian State as a matter of policy is sanctioning genocide.

The Pope is engaging in the ugliest form of bigotry by suggesting Christians are less evil than non-Christians. The Pope does not single out Putin and says such acts of cruelty are not in the Russian tradition even though we all know by now the Russian way of warfare is maximal cruelty, including inflicting cruelty on its own troops. Conscripts are specifically subject to horrific hazing during training to dehumanize them so that they mindlessly follow horrific battlefield orders.
    I think the pope is more hopeful than historically accurate. Is leaning into Russian bigotry to try to get them to reject an even worse aspect of their culture such a bad move? Rewriting their shared myth might be worth it, if it worked. Sounds unlikely, but a surprising number of MAGA's so strongly support Ukraine that they'll grudgingly admit Biden isn't actually Satan. Weird stuff can happen.

I don't know, the Chechen statement seems particularly ugly given Russians killed 25% (millions) of the Chechen people including tens of thousands of children. Perhaps we can chalk it up to a poorly worded mistake even though that would require believing in the pope's fallibility. It does contradict his earlier statement in the same interview, "Polarization is not Catholic. A Catholic cannot think either-or and reduce everything to polarization. The essence of what is Catholic is both-and." -- The Pope

The pope is only considered infallible only on questions regarding Catholic beliefs of faith. Anything else is merely his opinion. He can't predict the Super Bowl winner.

"Ugliest" racism is your opinion and Putin would agree.

Hope these bad boys get deployed ASAP. A new wave of incoming Russian bombs is being predicted.

"Ugliest" racism is your opinion and Putin would agree.
    Care to clarify ?

An opinion was tendered that it was the "Ugliest" form of racisim. Seemed to me to be an opinion based on what? What's #2? I really am interested in people opinions as long as it's an opinion. My personal opinion is that we are all racist by nature. Some like me admit it and fight it.
    Did that help?

No that doesn't help. Attributing everything to racism "by nature" is dumb because it waters down statements like the Pope's. This isn't some Americanized woke trifling thing, this is a truly false abomination.

Deserves it's own thread. From my experience. If someone say's "If you walk past 2 black guys in Seattle the odds are 50/50 they will rob you." it strikes me a racist. If someone crosses the street because two blacks are coming down the sidewalk it strikes me a racist. If Someone says "I'm not a racist but..." And then disses black people it strikes me a racist. Substitute bigot for racist if you want as racism is bigotry. In my humble opinion.

Your right, all of the above deserves a separate thread because none of it has any relationship with what the Pope said. The Pope said "racism is an intolerable sin against god" and in the same interview intimated genocide in Ukraine is carried out not by ethnic Russians but by Chechens and Buryats instead. I mean, you should know you've gone off the rails when you've got Rod nodding along in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Canadians have a “work ethic”? Or do you mean lack of it?
    Actualy its N.A. kids in general and I've heard the same thing from the ski/ snow board coach who told me he " came up in the euro system where if you fuck up your out " but its different in NA
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Your right, all of the above deserves a separate thread because none of it has any relationship with what the Pope said. The Pope said "racism is an intolerable sin against god" and in the same interview intimated genocide in Ukraine is carried out not by ethnic Russians but by Chechens and Buryats instead.
    I know I must be biased. First RC relative came to New France in the mid 1600's and I was "groomed" to welcome martyrdom in Catholic schools taught by nuns and priests. I've thought of starting a "Ask a Catholic" thread for shits and giggles. PR or PA?

I like Catholics and have little beef other than this statement. What makes this particular statement uniquely dangerous is scapegoating ethnic minorities excuses and even justifies Russia's and Putin's actions against Ukraine.

I am stoked I'm not the only one who loves that podcast.

Haven't been listening to all of them lately because I don't have time for all the podcasts I love but tune in regularly.

Truly awful and dangerous but I suppose not surprising that the pope is parroting yet another self serving false narrative.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk