Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2 Helos Crash in Mineral Basin

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/177359...snowbird-utah/

Not something you see everyday.

Hope everybody is OK.

tfw and I saw that one day at Snowbird last month. We couldn't figure out what 2 black helis were doing landing there at the base of mineral.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Did they fly through that cloud and have blade icing? Seems odd they would both go down, but they were in formation and the picture shows a cloud.

Buddy watched it happen and said that they disappeared into the cloud and he thinks one of them lost sight of the ground and rolled over, but it certainly could have been blade icing too. He said he watched part of a rotor fly through the air.

I bet they just flew into high terrain, in IMC.

https://twitter.com/WasatchSnow/stat...filNua7hxyXZqA

second one appears to have hit the first. Spatial disorientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    https://twitter.com/WasatchSnow/stat...filNua7hxyXZqA

second one appears to have hit the first. Spatial disorientation.
    Fuck. Another view. Looks like a piece of the the rotor from the rear helicopter flies out of the cloud.

https://twitter.com/IM_Inman/status/1496222345194876928
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Dang that guy had no idea how newsworthy that video was gonna be when he started recording
    hope everyone is alright

Whoa....makes you wonder why they were flying over a ski area to begin with.

They do training there all the time, I've seen them land there maybe 4 or 5 times over the last decade. Hopefully they don't do it anymore, that could have gone way worse.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    They do training there all the time, I've seen them land there maybe 4 or 5 times over the last decade. Hopefully they don't do it anymore, that could have gone way worse.
    Yes. Awfully close to groups of people and a chairlift.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

From the vid it looks like they simply got blinded by their rotor wash and maybe one tagged the other's tail rotor with their main rotor? Some articles say they both crashed. In one vid it looks like one of the helicopters lost tail rotor. Maybe a tree was involved? Tough to tell.

Either way, glad to hear no one was seriously injured. Crazy.

Nice bluebird powder day.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    From the vid it looks like they simply got blinded by their rotor wash and maybe one tagged the other's tail rotor with their main rotor? Some articles say they both crashed. In one vid it looks like one of the helicopters lost tail rotor. Maybe a tree was involved? Tough to tell.

Either way, glad to hear no one was seriously injured. Crazy.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CaU5do4F9sX/

According to this report the trailing chopper drifted and and overturned in the whiteout (probably dragged it's gear while drifting sideways), rotor pieces then hit the other chopper's tail mast (maybe knocking out tail rotor drive?) causing it to spin 360 degrees and set down hard. This is while the national guard on the ground were standing less than 50 feet away. It's obvious in some of the videos that rotor pieces flew about twice the distance to the Minnie bottom terminal and maze, thankfully in other directions. Extremely lucky no one was seriously injured let alone killed. Fuck.

Seems like they should have just aborted and gone around prepared for an instrument landing when they lost visual. Landing one at a time with fresh snow also just seems like common sense but what do I know.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Seems like they should have just aborted and gone around prepared for an instrument landing when they lost visual. Landing one at a time with fresh snow also just seems like common sense but what do I know.
    Seems like several of the standard heuristic traps taught in avalanche safety were in play here, namely Familiarity, Consistency and Acceptance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Seems like several of the standard heuristic traps taught in avalanche safety were in play here, namely Familiarity, Consistency and Acceptance.
    Absolutely. Then I also saw this in the discussion:

I’ve got 20 years of training military pilots to fly in mountainous and heavy snow conditions. There are so many red flags on this formation approach that sent the hairs on my next standing on edge. You never make an approach to a valley in white out conditions with the #2 in the leaders six. The ground speed is too slow on final approach. You pick a marker and drive the helicopter down onto the marker (usually positioning by your boot in the chin window). The ground speed must not come below around 10kts other wise the snow cloud catches up with you and envelopes the cockpit. That’s when you lose all references and go into whiteout. Massive disorientation occurs and it’s impossible to maintain (manually) a hover. Emergency reaction in White Out are transfer to instruments, pull in power and go vertical to get out of the snow cloud. Which is why as the #2 you never sit in the leaders 6.

Not directly related, but kind of an aside: in mid 2000s SLC we had several instances of local military blackhawks flying really irresponsibly around our fires, violating TFRs, buzzing around being dangerous and squirrely.
    Seeing Blackhawks fucking up near Salt Lake reminds me of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Not directly related, but kind of an aside: in mid 2000s SLC we had several instances of local military blackhawks flying really irresponsibly around our fires, violating TFRs, buzzing around being dangerous and squirrely.
    Seeing Blackhawks fucking up near Salt Lake reminds me of that.
    Military or National Guard? Either way, seems in character for UT.

Basically impossible to hover without visual reference or advanced systems so beaterdits posts check out.

I guess we can start bitching about it being a waste of our tax dollars now or something. But I’m sure this kinda shit happens all the time, just not in full view of a bunch of go pro wearing civilians.

Military or National Guard? Either way, seems in character for UT.
    My recollection was ntl guard, but that’s an unreliable memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Basically impossible to hover without visual reference or advanced systems so beaterdits posts check out.

I guess we can start bitching about it being a waste of our tax dollars now or something. But I’m sure this kinda shit happens all the time, just not in full view of a bunch of go pro wearing civilians.
    I know they have to train, my beef is the location in proximity to dozens of civilians who didn't sign up for dangerous training, not to mention a passenger tramway. Also just seems like very poor decision making if not flying with regards to all that. I'm not a pilot so my take deserves a grain of salt but still. Seems like they have those advanced systems on those helis. There was some mention in that instagram thread that some newer pilots can be overly reliant on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    My recollection was ntl guard, but that’s an unreliable memory.
    Yep, like I said, either way, checks out.

Climber rescue gone bad Mt Hood 2002

The crew were not badly injured, even though the fuselage rolled over them

I know they have to train, my beef is the location in proximity to dozens of civilians who didn't sign up for dangerous training, not to mention a passenger tramway. Also just seems like very poor decision making if not flying with regards to all that. I'm not a pilot so my take deserves a grain of salt but still. Seems like they have those advanced systems on those helis. There was some mention in that instagram thread that some newer pilots can be overly reliant on them.
    Fully agree, military training in view of the public is just plain bad policy to begin with. Western UT is basically one big MOA/Restricted area but they choose to go fly around and land in a big, crowded resort on a holiday weekend to give everyone a show? What kind of decision making is going on there?

Last week at the top of chair 5 at Vail I witnessed (as did many others) a C-7 fly completely sideways at least 500 ft. BELOW me through the back bowls. I could easily see into the cockpit. It was right there below me and was one of the most amazing sights of aviation I have ever witnessed.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague