Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Atomic Bent 110

Atomic Bent 110

The time has come. 188cm now in my possession.

Straight Tape: 186cm
    Factory Recommended: 96.ish from tip
    Weight: 1870g per ski
    Hand Flex: Stiffer than the BC 120

I've strangely come to use my BC 120 (2021) as my daily driver. I'm 5'8" and 165lbs when I'm fat so a small guy, but they do some real good for me. With the low weight the real corral reef and chicken heads get in your way, but much of my conditions are a little bit of new snow on top of semi tracked breakable crust (Alps). BC 120s are just Teflon in this type of bad snow, much like renegade, hoji, kusala. They are way softer, but that doesn't affect my personal speed limit. If anything I ski faster on these skis because they have a little floppy suspension. So...

I'm stoked to replace the 120 with the 110 as a DD. More camber height and length, flex feels quite a bit stiffer in tips and tails.

I'm thinking I'm going to mount +2 w/ pivots. And before you go ape shit, the reasoning is these won't be my pow skis. I don't need the float. At 94cm from tip, I'll have the same tip length as the 184 120 mounted on the line. Then I get extra pop and stomp from the tail. These skis will be spinning and navigating switch to the road.

The plan is to do inserts for pivots forward, and for lightweight tech back so because they will be perfect for powder touring, because a center mounted touring ski seems dumb.

Epic dump forecast for tonight so it will be a few days before these get their turn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8631.jpg 
Views:	584 
Size:	570.4 KB 
ID:	406807

Camber

Name:	IMG_8633.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	408.9 KB 
ID:	406808

Uncambered

Name:	IMG_8635.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	390.0 KB 
ID:	406809

tagged

My 180cm BC 110s should be here shortly.

Recommended is -3cm….

I’m thinking differently…going back 2cm (-5cm) for mine.

Tectons.

I’ve also had the BC 120s and liked them at -2cm.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post

Recommended is -3cm….

Tectons.

KC - I love that you bumped back the mount points on freestyle skis and bump them forward on freeride skis. But I am really looking forward to you BC110 insights, regardless of mount-point.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    tagged
    Yeah, I can't wait for this report either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    KC - I love that you bumped back the mount points on freestyle skis and bump them forward on freeride skis. But I am really looking forward to you BC110 insights, regardless of mount-point.
    Ya cause I’m happiest at -5cm to -7cm on a ski. If a ski can’t be skied in that range then I probably shouldn’t be on it. And I’m not skiing switch…so don’t need to be -3cm.

interesting how everybody describe flex on these... some say it's even softer than BC120, some say it's completely the same, and now you say it's notably stiffer, hmm

I should ski them by Friday, so I'll let you know on snow flex. Hand flex feels stiffer, underfoot it's hard to tell with skis like this as the tips and tails flex too much to tell. But the tips and tails feel stiffer. Like regular ski stiffness. Whereas the 120s are like super floppy ski stiffness at the extremities.

Those look amazing. What are the listed dimensions?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Atomic Bent 110

If you’re on the other side of the paywall, Blister just posted their 2-day flash review…seems positive so far.

Lots of float for 110. Loose and slashy. Closer to 120 than 100 but decent on-piste. Not a crud crusher (not shocking).

Looking forward to a more comprehensive review from one of the Mags.
    Last edited by Bandit Man; 02-24-2022 at 02:34 PM.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Atomic Bent 110

Recommended is -3cm….

Tectons.

I second this. I have both the 120 and 110 mounted -2cm from recommended and love it there. Skied the 110 in a 188cm a few days now. Great float in pow, super playful and poppy. Rail firm groomers surprisingly well for a 110. The one downfall is they lack the weight and dampness for a true daily driver inbounds for me. I mounted the 110s with CAST but in hindsight would rather put a lighter tech binding on them. Would make a great daily driver touring ski in deeper snowpacks.

Note: I moved the mount back 2cm on the 120 after skiing them at recommended for a season. I was getting tip dive on really deep days. The remount fixed that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Skiwald; 02-23-2022 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Not a crud crusher (not shocking).
    I'll be the judge of that goddamnit!

But it'll have to wait, cuz we got Rona in da haus. Fuck.

Also agree that these are going to be a sweet light touring ski.

Atomic Bent 110

180cm BC 110s are here…mounted Tectons at -2cm from rec (-5cm).

Holy shit these 110s are are pretty light.

And purdy.

Name:	IMG_5543.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	409203

Name:	IMG_5544.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	409204

Edit….added the 184cm BC 120 big brother with Shifts for a light, inbounds pow ski to hike up Flute.

Also mounted the BC 120 @ -2cm (-4.9cm):

Name:	IMG_5695.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	414987
    Last edited by kc_7777; 05-01-2022 at 12:58 PM.

How light? they dont seem that light from the specs

And purdy.
    yes, they undeniably look freaking amazing in person. Pictures do not do them justice.

Totally wrong ski for me and my preferences though, which is just as well - I do not need more skis.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    How light? they dont seem that light from the specs
    I assume he means for what they are, not that they are some superlight Moonlight pretzel of a ski. BC110s with Tectons probably feels damn light underfoot, and the swing weight should be really low as well. That must be a really versatile setup. I would have gone with Cast if they were to see a lot of inounds use as well, but it is hard to fault Tectons too. Hell, this ski with a super light tech binding makes sense as well.

Interested to learn the weight for the 180 cm Bentchetler 110 too. I love my BC 120s 184 cm with Tectons as the fat half of my touring quiver. But curious about a slightly shorter, narrower Bentchetler as do it all playful touring ski for the Wasatch.

Atomic Bent 110

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    yes, they undeniably look freaking amazing in person. Pictures do not do them justice.

I assume he means for what they are, not that they are some superlight Moonlight pretzel of a ski. BC110s with Tectons probably feels damn light underfoot, and the swing weight should be really low as well. That must be a really versatile setup. I would have gone with Cast if they were to see a lot of inounds use as well, but it is hard to fault Tectons too. Hell, this ski with a super light tech binding makes sense as well.
    I have some 4FRNTs Ravens and RENs with Duke PTs for side-country after an inbounds day. Duke PTs 16s are a CAST substitute in my opinion. But without the mount issues.

The BC 110s + Tectons will be my main touring ski (I don’t do super long tours so don’t need an uber-light touring set up).

Atomic BC 110s are ~3,500gm per pair I think? For a 110mm ski, that doesn’t suck to ski, that is a pretty good weight. I like the Tectons for simplicity and you can still ski them pretty hard inbounds when the snow is soft.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 03-16-2022 at 06:06 PM.

How are they gonna make a 'smaller 120' and then not offer it in smaller sizes. This sounds like a great bc120 equivalent for women but they don't offer anything under 172cm?!?

My wife ordered an Armada ARW 106 UL instead for that exact reason.

Update: they are too stiff and she is exchanging them for the VJJ because they also don’t make the BC120 in her size
    Last edited by TexasGortex; 03-16-2022 at 06:53 PM.

Subscribing to hear more about BC110s. Love my BC100 and lusting after 120s for those deep days. Or rather half days. Or rather one half day a season. Who am I kidding, I don’t need the 120s or 110s. But I still want them.

Atomic Bent 110

I got 120 and they were spectacular for two powder days. Held up fine on soft groomers too. Practicing falling leaf and switch is great fun on them.
    Last edited by Lvovsky; 01-22-2024 at 05:45 PM.

Gather round, review time! I sat on this for the whole summer and finally had a day this season so time to wrap it up.

Me:
    -getting better with age
    -5'8" 165lb (currently in my 3rd phase of dad bod, normally 150-155, big airs blow the snaps on my pants: saggin' and swaggin' like a middle school janitor)
    -Small-time virtuoso (hardly hit a cliff over 15ft, taken to longer distance rollover airs in my old age)
    -Freestyle kid from a freeride mountain, currently in the alps, making my own terrain parks all over the off-piste (no dig, all natty). Has to be horrendous conditions for me to ski on piste.

Previous Skis: Just got released from 10 year stint on Eric Hjorleifson skis. Renegades, EHPs, Hojis, Copies (Kusala, Down). Love the center mounts, no pintail, parallel to the snow angle powder skiing. And in the Alps how a ski handles crust can turn bad days into amazing days. EH skis slay crust due to the aforementioned qualities. What's missing: pop. I had grown tired of the reverse camber no-pop off jumps and was looking for a change.

Enter the BC 120:
    This ski brought my inconsequential and completely unknown ski career back to life. The low swing weight, squishy flex, and twin tip had me bring the floating 3s, 180s and even switch 180s back into the wheelhouse and honestly skiing better than I was at 23. The flex feels soft, but it doesn't ski soft at my weight. I like to call it "soft supportive" it really cushions the ride, but doesn't overbend and in a strange way it's taken my speed limit up a notch. Sometimes I just straightline stuff, where I never did before. A little turnier, but same great properties as EH skis, but fun factor off the charts.

Enter the Bent 110:
    After a lukewarm experience in bad snow with the Revolt 104 I was basically skiing the 120 as my daily ski and doing just fine, but the Bent 110 seemed to be the ski just for me.

TLDR: Big Mountain Comp Ski + Pipe Comp Ski + Light Weight = Powerhouse w/ caveats.

I don't understand the people saying the 110 and 120 are both soft. The 110 is not soft. It's snappy as fuck.

Mount: +1, so -2 from TC and the first thing I notice was the tail! But come on after 10 years on RC skis a solid cambered tail would stand out. But it took a few days to adjust

Flex
    If the 120 is a 5, these are a 7.5.

Crust
    These do fine, center mount, even distribution of weight through the ski and they don't ski like they have a lot of sidecut (they don't really). They basically are as good as EH skis here. Like a cambered hoji. At speed, almost no difference, except juice in the tail. Slow speed one has to mind the tail, as it's more present.

Pow
    These aren't really going to be my fresh pow skis, mostly for cleanup and older alpine soft snow that we get around here. But they float fine in 1-foot type powder, not even worrying about the mount point.

Upside down
    Because they are stiff, cambered and not the fattest, I've noticed they get eaten by upside-down snow density, more that the 120s. But the 120s are amazing skis in wind affected fresh snow. This is one area where the mount point might get me, but I'm sure I'll get by.

Crud
    As long as it's soft, these skis fucking truck. Straight line, push into them and they blast. Much better than the 120s here.

Hard
    These might actually be worse than the 120s here. Stiff and light, they don't work so well. If there's 1CM of soft anything over hard snow they do fine, but pure chalk or ice I think is their biggest weakness. Hard bumps are really gnarly as they have such low swing weight that they get deflected and kicked around.

Slush
    What skis don't do slush? I did find these to slay isothermic goo as the sym/center mount thing keeps the tails up and able to break free. Mixed with their stiffness had the most fun skiing really rotten late season snow.

Groomers
    They blow. They don't hold an edge enough to get the ski to bend in most conditions. They do do super g turns well, if it's not icy.

VS 120
    120 is such an amazing ski, the quality of the flex for a ski that light is something special. The 110s are just more reactive, more game-on, less forgiving. But at higher speed and denser snow, that works great. Also, so much more snap off jumps.

North American Ski Area?
    Given that chalk and hard bumps are their weakness, I don't know if I would want to have them as a NA daily driver. Prob 20 other better skis. If they had done the same construction as the 120, with a little more stiffness, I would feel differently.

They would kill it as a chargy touring ski though.

Yurp?
    These skis kill it in European alpine conditions, mostly fucked up alpine snow where you can penetrate some amount. Fat enough to slarve. Plenty of stiffness. Responsive. Neutral. Low swing weight and "freestyle" elements are a bonus, but they work well as a big mountain ski.

A cambered hoji is the best way to think about them. If you like a lot of tail, then they're great.

Weirdness
    One strange thing I'd never experienced before was "crossing my tails". Because the tails are long and the boat hull thing has a raised surface, sometimes I would come out of a landing or a jump turn with the tails hooked together. Probably not worth thinking about, but it's a weird feeling.

^^ Good review. Bet you'd also love an ON3P Jeffrey 110 (or 118) tour.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Anyone have a comparison between this and the deathwish 112?

Would be a wasatch daily driver when it's filled in.

I currently ski bc 100 as daily driver and I love it - especially how light and nimble it is but want something a bit beefier. Also have the 120 which I never really ski which is more on me - as I never really think it's deep enough to justify bringing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    Anyone have a comparison between this and the deathwish 112?

Would be a wasatch daily driver when it's filled in.

I currently ski bc 100 as daily driver and I love it - especially how light and nimble it is but want something a bit beefier. Also have the 120 which I never really ski which is more on me - as I never really think it's deep enough to justify bringing it out.
    Appreciate the review. Been wanting to compare to the dwt as well.

The bent 120 is just absurdly versatile. If it’s soft at all, there is enough snow for them. I get why it took a while to get the 110 made. 100 floats and the 120 carves.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?