Quebec beta rolling up there this week

Hey northeast and quebec mags and anyone else that knows...

Forecast looks good for quebec midweek. Getting a covid test this evening just in case.

Thinking Le Massif or Mont Saint Anne, but I am a total quebec Jong and will take any advice. 5 1/2 to 6 hours drive from my house.

Looking to ski fresh and steep. Trees are Bueno. Lift served or cat or whatever, except I don't have a functioning tour setup at the moment. Partners welcome.

Can't believe I'm considering driving that far for a couple days of deepness. Living in the NE has me rattled.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

will send a pm, 6 hours from where are you willing to go?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Le Massif is awesome. There's an 'Off Trail' section they open when the snow allows, I have no first hand knowledge of that area but I'm sure the tree skiing would be great there. Otherwise drawing a blank for glades at LM. I lost a day and half of skiing there one trip because it snowed so much the hill and highway to it closed.

Mont Ste Anne would be great with fresh snow, pretty good amount of tree skiing there, most is somewhat steep. Otherwise I find it's default setting is ice. I once lost a day of skiing there because it snowed so much the hill closed.

I hope you have better luck in PQ than I have lol.

Hoping someone chimes in with info about the Chic Chocs, that area looks super interesting.

Unfortunately, the CC are more than six from Montreal, so unless he is going from Caribou, Maine, I don't think it's in the radius. Plus, touring gear is pretty mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    will send a pm, 6 hours from where are you willing to go?
    Upstate ny. Lake george. Tyx!

Chic chocs look very interesting. Will dutifully consider a trip up there in the future.

https://youtu.be/r2GQ8L9le-Q

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Hey northeast and quebec mags and anyone else that knows...

Forecast looks good for quebec midweek. Getting a covid test this evening just in case.

Thinking Le Massif or Mont Saint Anne, but I am a total quebec Jong and will take any advice. 5 1/2 to 6 hours drive from my house.

Looking to ski fresh and steep. Trees are Bueno. Lift served or cat or whatever, except I don't have a functioning tour setup at the moment. Partners welcome.

Can't believe I'm considering driving that far for a couple days of deepness. Living in the NE has me rattled.

go straight to le massif, skip mont ste anne. head far left at le massif for big tree skiing zone. if jay peak is along your way, also has fantastic trees.

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    go straight to le massif, skip mont ste anne. head far left at le massif for big tree skiing zone. if jay peak is along your way, also has fantastic trees.
    Tyx!

Skied a storm at jay a couple few weeks ago. It was good fun. Nice glades, much tighter than what I was used to in the pnw, western and southwestern states. Tangentially... surprised how well the new 191 renegades did in them. Might hit jay on the way back if the end of the week forecast holds true.

Which mountain would hold fresh longer midweek: st anne or massif?

How do they otherwise compare?

Tyx!

Skied a storm at jay a couple few weeks ago. It was good fun. Nice glades, much tighter than what I was used to in the pnw, western and southwestern states. Tangentially... surprised how well the new 191 renegades did in them. Might hit jay on the way back if the end of the week forecast holds true.

posted this before, massif du sud (not Le Massif Charlevoix) is good for a day got some good steeps/snow. not big vert, but worth a day.

Some good info here:

https://nyskiblog.com/magazine/quebe...de-charlevoix/

@ski-it not sure where you posted before other then a six year old thread about touring in the area. Please direct me I'm all eyes for more info. Thx again for the info!

Tyx!

le massif is just a better mountain, and the best mountain east of the rockies imo. gets some big storms, one of the highest verts in the east, and a consistent pitch top to bottom.. no flats. and unique in that you park at the top and ski down to the river, makes for some great views. no where is going to hold fresh for more than a couple hours. i've never been to a mountain that wasn't tracked out by lunch, unless there were lift delays, or there's bootpacking involved.

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    le massif is just a better mountain, and the best mountain east of the rockies imo. gets some big storms, one of the highest verts in the east, and a consistent pitch top to bottom.. no flats. and unique in that you park at the top and ski down to the river, makes for some great views. no where is going to hold fresh for more than a couple hours. i've never been to a mountain that wasn't tracked out by lunch, unless there were lift delays, or there's bootpacking involved.
    Thank you. Covid test back negative. Final deliberations tonight with my wife. There may be a forthcoming trip report...

Even if I don't go I'm glad I stayed this thread. Great info and will be useful to others including me in the future. Thx again mags

Quebec beta rolling up there this week

idk, i think the MDC thing is overblown. it’s great and better than saint anne but i have a soft spot for indies like edouard, grand fonds, valinoet, val d’irène, etc.

maybe they don’t have the numbers to lure people on six hour drives with regularity but you can find soft turns at those hills all day.

mostly i think qc is spoiled for interesting areas within a reasonable drive, there is no better ski town on the eastern half of the continent. i guess that’s fair because nothing interesting is going on in the city anyway.

eta: the forecast is just disgusting this week. if you cock tease everyone with this thread and then don’t go ULLR is going to smite the rest of the season. get on up there and fucking TR the shit out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    idk, i think the MDC thing is overblown. it’s great and better than saint anne but i have a soft spot for indies like edouard, grand fonds, valinoet, val d’irène, etc.

maybe they don’t have the numbers to lure people on six hour drives with regularity but you can find soft turns at those hills all day.

mostly i think qc is spoiled for interesting areas within a reasonable drive, there is no better ski town on the eastern half of the continent. i guess that’s fair because nothing interesting is going on in the city anyway.

eta: the forecast is just disgusting this week. if you cock tease everyone with this thread and then don’t go ULLR is going to smite the rest of the season. get on up there and fucking TR the shit out of it!

MDC was the bomb when it had the buses!

[QUOTE=ml242;6550441.

eta: the forecast is just disgusting this week. if you cock tease everyone with this thread and then don’t go ULLR is going to smite the rest of the season. get on up there and fucking TR the shit out of it![/QUOTE]
    Might be an Ullr sacrifice that brings whiteness everywhere.

This thread will have given me blue balls though, but no frozen penis since Nordic great is in the garage.

Forecast is now slightly downgraded including a wintry mix with borderline Temps Wednesday making the decision between a six hour drive vs holding some black chips for later falling in the side of the chips.

Ice racing today and slush skiing this week with the fam it will be. Could be worse

Quebec will have to wait another day. Thx again and may Ullr appreciate my sacrifice.

I'd like to point out that Massif got 20 cm of snow (no rain) yesterday and 100 cm over 7 days.

Let this be a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I'd like to point out that Massif got 20 cm of snow (no rain) yesterday and 100 cm over 7 days.

Let this be a lesson.
    Yup

Family called. It happens.
    Last edited by skinipenem; 02-23-2022 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post

Let this be a lesson.
    That edouard is a lot colder and got twice as much or Valinouet got 3x?