Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Climbing Skins

Climbing Skins

Like everyone, I used BD skins for a long time. I used to be able to use BD skins more or less indefinitely; the glue would become more of a pain in the ass as they got older, but it would generally behave in a predictable manner.

I started using Pomocas about 4 years ago and immediately found them to be nicer to use, or "higher performance" than BD skins. I have had the lime green 100% mohair skins and the yellow mixed material skins. Compared to BD, they're lighter, more packable, way better glide, and glue that stuck to ski bases but was very easy to pull apart.

But with all the pomocas I've had, the skins have begun leaving glue on my ski bases while out skiing. It seems to happen particularly on cold days, when coarse snow crystals seem particularly enhance friction with gluey p-tex. We've had four pair of Pomocas in my household and they've all done this; my most recent pair started doing it after probably about 30-40 days of total use. waxing skis seems to help temporarily as does ironing the skin glue (with parchment between iron and glue).

So my first question is how many of you have experienced this with Pomoca climbing skins? I have heard it's fairly common and know three other people who claim to have experienced it.

My second question is: what do you think the best climbing skins are these days? I impulse bought some Kohla Alpinist mohair skins right before a recent trip to canada because I didn't want to deal with the pomocas. They're really nice packable, glidey mohair skins. But the glue SUCKS. The skins do not remain adhered to my skis. So if I don'd want bulky, not-slidely BD skins, or pomocas or Kohlas because the glue sucks, what do you like?

there are many climbing skin glue threads you can read but the long and short of it is that all glue fucks up due to hydrolization of the glue so if its transfering to your bases its kinda fucked, probably water was allowed to sit on the glue

what you could try is a reheat job so you cover the bases with baking parchment paper, heat the glue with a medium iron and put it outside to cool, easy to do and costs 0

or you need to reglue messy but not hard costs 15$

or you need to buy new skins easy to do & costs lots

the best skins are generaly considered to be pomoca, g3 glue is generaly considerd the worst but it all fucks up so when it does replace with gold label( BD) glue
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've been using the Colltex mix Volkl skins for about 4 years now and like them very well. Haven't had much trouble with glue on the bases and they have pretty well stuck to the skis in all conditions. Very little snow creep in the tips. That said I'm starting to see the glue at the tail loose a little stick but still not a big deal.

On the plus side: they pack smaller than any others I've tried, including Pomoca Pro Climb S, they weigh less than any others I've tried (255g per ski on my old 186 BMT 122's), good balance between grip and glide (initial impression is that they grip better than Climb S but don't glide quite as well), after probably 30k-50k vert they are holding up surprisingly well, Colltex is my favorite tail clip so far - simple, light, and just works

On the negative side: The glue is stronger than fuck! They are a pain in the ass to pull apart when folded over on themselves and I sometimes worry that they will tear when pulling apart (which they haven't) - skin savers help, expensive...but I got mine super cheap on closeout.

That's my experience with a couple pair, others may have a different take. Would like to try the pink Pomocas, but if I do I will buy off the roll and mix/match attachment hardware. I don't think too highly of Pomocas tips and tails

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    waxing skis seems to help
    Did everyone miss this part?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

In my experience Pomoca glue has been a bit better than BD, which has been significantly better than G3. But the worst pair I ever had was BD, which they warrantied without an argument. You could have just ended up with a bad pair. Or you put them away wet too many times. Or you dried them near a wood stove...

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    In my experience Pomoca glue has been a bit better than BD, which has been significantly better than G3. But the worst pair I ever had was BD, which they warrantied without an argument. You could have just ended up with a bad pair. Or you put them away wet too many times. Or you dried them near a wood stove...
    yes, many climbing skins have died hanging over the wood stove in a hut,

all you need is room temp and the glue drys pretty quick

I've heard good things about the latest iteration of Contour's Hybrid glue. I ordered a full mohair pair to use this season but never got to try them. BCAs skins are rebranded Contour Hybrids in a Mohair/Nylon blend.

I've been tempted by the Pomoca hype, but anecdotal accounts of durability issues have kept me on reliable, if unremarkable BD Glidelites.

It's been interesting hearing all the hate for G3 skins from a bunch of different people and also guides out in the field I've met, and not just here at TGR. But the
    G3 spring clearance sales 2 and 3 years ago were just too good to pass up for a clearance whore like me.

I've been touring in 2 sets of G3 skins for the past 3 seasons. The red all-nylon plush for warm and wet conditions, and the blue momix plush for cold pow touring. Haven't had a problem in 3 seasons. The glue sticks when i want them to all day long for multiple laps, and they don't leave a residue on the bases.

I just tried some of my friend's swiss colltex mohair skins 2 days ago. Those are super light and glide better than my G3 momix. The colltex are super pricey, though, so I'll have to see if i can find some on spring clearance.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

G3 had some really suboptimal glue for a couple season that would get gummy and gooey really easily.

BD had a batch last year that was faulty and they did a recall on.

I use G3 mohair skins and haven't had any glue problems. I'm on season 2 of them with well over 100 tours on them and they are rock solid. And the tip and tail attachments on them are the very best around. The glide on the mohair is outstanding and the grip is more than adequate honestly can't think of a single reason for anyone to run a pure nylon skin ever.

I have a pair of Khola mountain Momix skins (rebranded as Armada) for another set of skis, and I've swapped out the tip and tail attachments for G3.

The G3 hate is at this point unwarranted but yes they produced skins for a couple seasons with glue that was not great to say the least.

there was some G3 that you could not get apart, I've seen 2 people pulling on tip/tail of a g3 to get it apart

I like the g3 hardware especaily the tail attachments, the tip hooks work good but limit skin adjustabilty , and actuay they are not very light, I cut them off so the skin would fit a 190- 160 and used a simple ols school tip loop, really the tiploop/ fold over is hard to beat IME

of the pomoca/ g3/ BD I own, only the BD has the original glue, i'm not sure of the vintage but maybe not used as much

but I don't have to tell you^^ all glue fucks up
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-20-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Yeah I think the G3 glue issues are a thing of the past. I have the Alpinist+ Glides, and I'm very happy with them

Unfortunately G3 glue is NOT a thing of the past (and I never us to have G3 glue issues). We recently sent back our whole Minimist shipment, plus my own which I used all last season, due to glue coming off in patches. There was a glue change supposedly sometime this season.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    . . . but I don't have to tell you^^ all glue fucks up . . .
    Exactly. Show me a company that's ever made a climbing skin and I'll show you a company that's had a bad batch of glue (or several) over the years. I've had excellent service from some 8-year old G3's that just keep trucking along and total failures from new Minimists in wet snow. I've had mediocre results from newer Black Diamonds but still have 2 pairs of 6-8 year old Glidelites with the "too sticky" glue. Pomoca's have been generally very good in terms of glue and plush over many years (mostly Dynafit-branded 70/30) and the new ones in my quiver are excellent save for the tail clip, which requires attention to a perfect fit with the ski's tail notch and strap tension every time. Jury is still out on the Contour Hybrid 65/35, but so far they are impressive (also require attention to the tail notch as the clip is quite wide and the cutter is mono-directional so cuts against the plush on one cut - I just used a G3 cutter).

Best skins at moment seem to be Pomoca with bd tails. Bd tips are better than pomoca tips too imho since they don’t rely on stressing plastic as much. I’m much happier with my pomocas after cutting off the pomoca tails and installing bd tails.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anyone successfully DIY some hoji-lock type tail clips on any skins yet?
    I have been meaning to dive into it, but I just haven’t cared enough to start rooting around for parts I guess.

The Hoji-lock skin attachment I just don't get. I've never had any issues with tail clips coming off my skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    The Hoji-lock skin attachment I just don't get. I've never had any issues with tail clips coming off my skis.
    Its lighter. The tail clip itself is more minimal and there is less skin material. Its also easier to reach when transitioning with skis on

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    Anyone successfully DIY some hoji-lock type tail clips on any skins yet?
    I have been meaning to dive into it, but I just haven’t cared enough to start rooting around for parts I guess.
    I need new skins and I am thinking about buying Pomocas and diy-ing a hoji-hole. I wish 4frnt would sell a kit….. Hardest part will be getting the actual clip milled or 3d printed.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Jury is still out on the Contour Hybrid 65/35, but so far they are impressive (also require attention to the tail notch as the clip is quite wide and the cutter is mono-directional so cuts against the plush on one cut - I just used a G3 cutter).
    the G3 cutter is 100 % idiot proof put skin on ski and go, I watched a roomate who i didnt trust use the G3 cutter tool ready to step in but it worked

IME an olfa razor cutter does the smoothest/ cleanest cuts but you do have to move the skin on the ski to make the 2nd cut

that hoji hole looks interesting am I missing something or wouldnt you have to take the clip off to get the strap thru the hole ?

I make my own pomoca/ dynafit tip stretchers from 3mm bungy and a roofing nail, works the same but way cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    Best skins at moment seem to be Pomoca with bd tails. Bd tips are better than pomoca tips too imho since they don’t rely on stressing plastic as much. I’m much happier with my pomocas after cutting off the pomoca tails and installing bd tails.

I think pomoca skins with g3 tips and bd tails would be the best combo.

May have been mentioned above but Pomoca is now shipping FreePros with extra set of metal tips.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think pomoca skins with g3 tips and bd tails would be the best combo.
    I think my ultimate would be Colltex plush and tails, Pomoca glue and g3 tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Its lighter. The tail clip itself is more minimal and there is less skin material. Its also easier to reach when transitioning with skis on

Again none of these are things I struggle with or am having a problem from in my touring day. The what 20g I might save I don't think is gonna be worth the extra cost of new skins

bought a pair of G3 skins today and paid $10 for the shop to trim them (I was busy and this was an unexpected time for needing new skins)

the shop called and said yeah the glue on the pair you bought was garbage (they had already started trimming one of them) - they went to their shelves and grabbed another pair and the glue in these was shot as well

so now I have Pocoma ones - will use these to the end of the season and then try and source some of those contour hybrid ones - those sound nice and reliable

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    bought a pair of G3 skins today and paid $10 for the shop to trim them (I was busy and this was an unexpected time for needing new skins)

the shop called and said yeah the glue on the pair you bought was garbage (they had already started trimming one of them) - they went to their shelves and grabbed another pair and the glue in these was shot as well

so now I have Pocoma ones - will use these to the end of the season and then try and source some of those contour hybrid ones - those sound nice and reliable
    Don't go Contour Hybrid, and those $10 skins just need a reglue done and they are perfectly fine. I don't know where you're located, but if you're in the Salt Lake/Wasatch area I can help on the reglue, whether you do it through me or I talk you through the process and you learn the skill yourself.

The Pomoca though are going to be better than the Contour Hybrid glue skins.

All glue's eventually fail, and every brand at some point produces a bad batch of glue that QC doesn't catch.