Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Climbing Skins

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    I'm new to this uphill stuff. Did a bunch of inbounds skinning for exercise last season.

The 2 designated skin track options at the resort both have some fairly steep sections and in most conditions I eventually have trouble not slipping backwards and need to put a fair amount of weight on my poles. Can't really choose a gentler line/add switchbacks when the resort is open as I have to stick to the allowed edge of the runs.

Would switching to a full nylon skin help here? I have Pomoca climb pro S-glides (70/30 mohair/nylon) and they glide real good in the flat sections, but there aren't many of those inbounds. I certainly do see a lot of BD Ascensions on other people's skis.
    Could be a technique issue, you need to make sure you keep your weight over your arches and heels, not over your toes. Stand up taller lead with your belly button, don't lean over on the steeper sections and maybe shorten your stride a bit to keep your feet and weight more underneath you. I have G3 pure mohair skins and never have grip issues. To the point where I don't get why people would buy nylons skin and sacrifice so much glide.

I have plenty of partners that have nylon skins, who slip way more than me, and can't understand how I walk up the things i do using mohair skins, and I can't understand how people with nylon skins ever slip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    Could be a technique issue, you need to make sure you keep your weight over your arches and heels, not over your toes. Stand up taller lead with your belly button, don't lean over on the steeper sections and maybe shorten your stride a bit to keep your feet and weight more underneath you. I have G3 pure mohair skins and never have grip issues. To the point where I don't get why people would buy nylons skin and sacrifice so much glide.

I have plenty of partners that have nylon skins, who slip way more than me, and can't understand how I walk up the things i do using mohair skins, and I can't understand how people with nylon skins ever slip.
    Agreed 100%. I very rarely have problems slipping, and I will never go back to a pure nylon skin as long as I live. The most simple advice I have ever heard for skinning technique is "push the bush" - push your hips forward and keep your core tight and 99% of your slipping problems will go away. Don't take huge steps, keep knees over ankles and hips over knees.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

If conditions are so bad that you canít skin up something with mohair skins and good technique youíre probably better off using ski crampons or booting

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    The most simple advice I have ever heard for skinning technique is "push the bush" - push your hips forward and keep your core tight and 99% of your slipping problems will go away. Don't take huge steps, keep knees over ankles and hips over knees.
    This is great advice but takes practice to do well. Lots of overlap with cross country ski technique.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Agreed 100%. I very rarely have problems slipping, and I will never go back to a pure nylon skin as long as I live. The most simple advice I have ever heard for skinning technique is "push the bush" - push your hips forward and keep your core tight and 99% of your slipping problems will go away. Don't take huge steps, keep knees over ankles and hips over knees.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Yes keep your lower body stacked (hips over knees, and knees try and stay over ankles) that's what I was trying to say but couldn't put into words.

And yes the only conditions where a pure mohair won't cut it grip wise are conditions that demand ski crampons anyway.

Yeah I suspect a problem with technique also when a skin track has a whole bunch of traffic between snowfalls its gona get slippery

a track that might have been fine when it was set is too steep after traffic/ freeze/thaw until it snows again
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Has anyone ever used "split" skins on their fat skis? Not splitboard skins, but like the contour free split skins? I imagine they are a bit more fiddly to deal with than normal skins, but weight savings might be worth it for something really wide?

Trying to explore out options for a 132 waist ski

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk