Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Climbing Skins

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    I'm new to this uphill stuff. Did a bunch of inbounds skinning for exercise last season.

The 2 designated skin track options at the resort both have some fairly steep sections and in most conditions I eventually have trouble not slipping backwards and need to put a fair amount of weight on my poles. Can't really choose a gentler line/add switchbacks when the resort is open as I have to stick to the allowed edge of the runs.

Would switching to a full nylon skin help here? I have Pomoca climb pro S-glides (70/30 mohair/nylon) and they glide real good in the flat sections, but there aren't many of those inbounds. I certainly do see a lot of BD Ascensions on other people's skis.
    Could be a technique issue, you need to make sure you keep your weight over your arches and heels, not over your toes. Stand up taller lead with your belly button, don't lean over on the steeper sections and maybe shorten your stride a bit to keep your feet and weight more underneath you. I have G3 pure mohair skins and never have grip issues. To the point where I don't get why people would buy nylons skin and sacrifice so much glide.

I have plenty of partners that have nylon skins, who slip way more than me, and can't understand how I walk up the things i do using mohair skins, and I can't understand how people with nylon skins ever slip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    Could be a technique issue, you need to make sure you keep your weight over your arches and heels, not over your toes. Stand up taller lead with your belly button, don't lean over on the steeper sections and maybe shorten your stride a bit to keep your feet and weight more underneath you. I have G3 pure mohair skins and never have grip issues. To the point where I don't get why people would buy nylons skin and sacrifice so much glide.

I have plenty of partners that have nylon skins, who slip way more than me, and can't understand how I walk up the things i do using mohair skins, and I can't understand how people with nylon skins ever slip.
    Agreed 100%. I very rarely have problems slipping, and I will never go back to a pure nylon skin as long as I live. The most simple advice I have ever heard for skinning technique is "push the bush" - push your hips forward and keep your core tight and 99% of your slipping problems will go away. Don't take huge steps, keep knees over ankles and hips over knees.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

If conditions are so bad that you can’t skin up something with mohair skins and good technique you’re probably better off using ski crampons or booting

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    The most simple advice I have ever heard for skinning technique is "push the bush" - push your hips forward and keep your core tight and 99% of your slipping problems will go away. Don't take huge steps, keep knees over ankles and hips over knees.
    This is great advice but takes practice to do well. Lots of overlap with cross country ski technique.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Agreed 100%. I very rarely have problems slipping, and I will never go back to a pure nylon skin as long as I live. The most simple advice I have ever heard for skinning technique is "push the bush" - push your hips forward and keep your core tight and 99% of your slipping problems will go away. Don't take huge steps, keep knees over ankles and hips over knees.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Yes keep your lower body stacked (hips over knees, and knees try and stay over ankles) that's what I was trying to say but couldn't put into words.

And yes the only conditions where a pure mohair won't cut it grip wise are conditions that demand ski crampons anyway.

Yeah I suspect a problem with technique also when a skin track has a whole bunch of traffic between snowfalls its gona get slippery

a track that might have been fine when it was set is too steep after traffic/ freeze/thaw until it snows again
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Has anyone ever used "split" skins on their fat skis? Not splitboard skins, but like the contour free split skins? I imagine they are a bit more fiddly to deal with than normal skins, but weight savings might be worth it for something really wide?

Trying to explore out options for a 132 waist ski

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    I've used BSMP skins for over 10 years.
    (Formerly known as Climbing Skins Direct, now Big Sky Mountain Products.)
    https://www.skiskinsonline.com/

I've never had a glue issue and I've never had to use cheat sheets.
    They have marginally less grip than orange Ascensions but glide MUCH better. As in, blindingly obvious when you're skinning next to someone on Ascensions.
    The plush is stout and has stood up to the occasional skin over dirt and rocks.
    They don't come in lengths: you cut them to length.
    Back when they used the rubber tip stretchers, I blew out a pair after a season and they sent me extras right away, no questions asked. They've improved the attachment system since then.
    They've always worked well for me and I have no desire to try anything else.
    I’ve had nothing but grief with G3 and now Pomoca glue, not lasting a full season, such that I’ve become the king of warranty replacement. I’m going to give BSMP a try, reglueing my Pomocas. If they can deliver on their claims, they’ll have a customer for life.

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Has anyone ever used "split" skins on their fat skis? Not splitboard skins, but like the contour free split skins? I imagine they are a bit more fiddly to deal with than normal skins, but weight savings might be worth it for something really wide?

Trying to explore out options for a 132 waist ski

They work great if you are only doing 1 lap. When you can put them on in ideal conditions like no snow or moisture they are fine. Putting them on again in the field I have had mixed results and honestly I’d avoid. I was lucky to have a spare set of skins in my pack one time when they just completely failed to stay adhered.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    They work great if you are only doing 1 lap. When you can put them on in ideal conditions like no snow or moisture they are fine. Putting them on again in the field I have had mixed results and honestly I’d avoid. I was lucky to have a spare set of skins in my pack one time when they just completely failed to stay adhered.
    Ha timely, I just got out on these last weekend.

I got the "normal" width ones and was using them on HL C132s. The fat version would have probably worked better. I got them super cheap so thought it was worth a shot.

I think overall a mixed bag. They are a lot lighter than full width skins for such a huge ski. They also aren't a PITA to pull apart, which is a serious problem with some years of BD skins.

They are a little bit more difficult to manage in the field than regular skins, but not as bad as I thought. If you take your ski off and keep the tip tight while pulling off the tail the two sides just collapse onto each other, glue to glue. I'm not sure I could pull off a skimo transition on those skis anyways, so it works.

Putting them on is also a little bit slower than normal skis just because you have to position them carefully, but also not a big deal.

I didn't have issues with snow creep or skins losing stickiness over 4-5 laps, but that's definitely a big worry with all the extra edges for snow to seep into.

The main issue I had was just with grip, I sometimes found myself slipping and the skin track wasn't that icy. I don't know if I should blame the skin coverage for that or the RR skis though.

So for the $80 or so I spent on them I think they are gonna work fine for low angle pow laps, but I'd be wary of taking them on really long or remote tours.

How tight is the tolerance on sizing for pomoca skins? Will large (175-190) still fit on my 192 bent chetler 120s?

Good chance, but unless someone has that exact combination not possible to answer. Is there a return policy?

There is a decent chance they will work. If the tip is narrower it would help, as they would sit further down on the ski, and chances are the true length of the ski is closer to 190 than 192.

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    How tight is the tolerance on sizing for pomoca skins? Will large (175-190) still fit on my 192 bent chetler 120s?
    I’m fairly close to the end of the range on my 187 ON3Ps. Not sure what the Atomic 192 straight tapes at, but I suspect you’ll be right on the edge.

cut the tail attachments off and all length/sizing issues disappear. take a tiny bit of care handling your skins and tail attachments are unnecessary

Free your tails, free your minds, got it.

Ordered anyways cuz it was the longest on sale one in stock, will test the fit and let y'all know

Any idea what glue the black crow pelis skins use? Pomoca?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Any idea what glue the black crow pelis skins use? Pomoca?
    The hardwear certainly looks like Pomoca and CCBC says they are here:

https://cripplecreekbc.com/products/black-crow-skins

Ordered anyways cuz it was the longest on sale one in stock, will test the fit and let y'all know
    Where’s the sale?

They didn't fit

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    cut the tail attachments off and all length/sizing issues disappear. take a tiny bit of care handling your skins and tail attachments are unnecessary
    Tail attachments didn't exist years ago.

More things that make me ask why I held onto them. The fit Fisher GTX's if anyone wants them

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    I’ve been doing this for almost 20 years and I’ve never had a skin fall off

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Does anyone have experience re-gluing pomoca skins with BD glue? My local skimo shop was downright offended when I told them I want to use the BD glue on pomocas. They warned me the BD glue will not stick to pomoca skins and will peel off.

I reglued several pair of the old silver-grey dynafit skins with bd glue. I think they were re-labled pomoca.
    I've also reglued a coupla pair of the current green pomoca skins using their glue sheets. All reglue jobs are holding up well.

If you fully strip the old glue off it shouldn’t matter at all.

For what it’s worth I’ve reglued skins with both the BD and Pomoca glue and found that the latter was a bit thinner out of the tub which made putting a nice even layer down easier. Although I probably huffed more fumes as it dried. Both types of glue seemed to work comparably once on and dry. Personally, next time I would just pick the one available at the nearest shop and take the pomoca glue if both were available.