Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

King and Queens 22

searched, did not see so here you go.

live now
    https://www.jacksonhole.com/kings-queens-corbets

Also live on Red Bull TV.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/discover

Surprised at all the people doing the goat trail entrance. I thought the whole point was to send it?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Also live on Red Bull TV.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/discover

Surprised at all the people doing the goat trail entrance. I thought the whole point was to send it?
    Was watching earlier….comments were that conditions warranted a more conservative approach/using more style upon entrance rather than as a launching pad.

Imo the comp should've been postponed/canceled due to the conditions. I would hate to see any of the athletes get seriously injured . Here's a peek into what they were dealing with.

https://instagram.com/stories/sander...um=share_sheet

That said go Karl go Sander LFG Trevor
    FKNSNDR!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I skied over and watched a handful of competitors.

for starters it was cold as fuck with an upslope wind howling. It put down a skiff of windbuff so that's where the turns were. The bottom jump landing was bulletproof windscour.

Saw our boy Sander pull up beside us in the trees so introduced myself and chatted for a few. He knew better than to sky that shit. just get in a lap and be home for dinner intact.

Saw a few peeps really stomp some shit but mostly it was hackwork. some couldn't even get in without exploding, then slipping half their line.

junk comp.

The conditions were actually better than expected. But that said, the expectations were very low lol

andrew was doing some announcing and he said that Tim Durtschi probably broke a wrist or arm on his run
    carnage seemed on the low side, but I think competitors were prepared for the bads
    skid luxury

Huh, I thought durtschi actually had a pretty good run, skied a flip outta the cave.

The turns looked great where the buff had filled in. My bud and I were commenting how we'd have skied it today. Just not off the ground.

We were hunkered down right behind Andrew's tent but couldn't get close to say hey.

that cave flip was neat
    I think it was his 2nd run that did the damage
    you could see him still placing well bc of the creativity of that
    It's peer judged I think. I'll ask the boss
    skid luxury

Some of the ass landings at the bottom were brutal. One dude hit his lower back so hard, his body stiffened and posted out before he even bounced the second time.

The collective cringe and groans were noticeable.

Watched the replay. Yikes those were some brutal conditions for sending.
    Glad most really toned it down to live to huck another day.
    That updraft looked super cold as well. Appeared to affect people on the last features also.

also seemed like a quarter of the competitors had never skied it before today.

On the tram a day or two before, the Japanese competitor Yuki Kadono and his crew were standing beside me as we passed the cooler.
    They were all bugging out on how firm it looked and the huge fuckin' rocks in the middle.
    I couldn't help but laugh. They had plainly never even seen it irl.

And those rocks are usually long gone by now. Amazed at how close some peeps got to them at speed.
    We kinda figured whoever skied S&S or the coolie and right over the middle of the lower rock, would be the King this year.

Whoever masters S$S is always a "King" to me
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I'm guessing no one has skied S&S this season. The landing is waaay skewed and the run out will be ballz to the wall, if not your entire body plastered against it.

Oddly the handful of guys who have really mastered it were older guys with mileage:
    George Hirschland used to Tele into it more than almost anyone each year, into his early 60's.
    Wild Bill skied it regular like and always on his B-day. He's gotta be in his early 60's.
    Ernst Forst used to get up an early box with Patrol, ski it, then go back to the Fire house and go back to bed. OG pro mogul tour guy from the 80's. 60+ yrs. too

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

junk comp.
    Yeah, I don't really get it. Putting a park feature in Corbets seems goofy af to me. They hacked the entrance down, which made sense to hold the comp, but that's odd too. I'm assuming that will still be there when I arrive in a few weeks unless hopefully it dumps.

Cool to see skijunky announcing, but I was waiting for the announcers down below to say, "hey, this comp is pretty cool, but if you want to see a sick line, check out Jimmy Chins insta of skijunky killing a way cooler line!"

Agree that the groomer-made park features look way out of place. If anything instead of park features they should just build some of those wooden ledge-thingies you see here and there. Would look more natural and the general plebs could hit them as well when the comp isn't happening.

I think it's cool they still have it when conditions are bad. I like to see how pros handle things that aren't fresh pow (They're Just Like Us!™), and also you need years like this for posterity. "Well, at least it's not as bad as 2022!" Skiing is really about sliding down a mountain in whatever condition it's in, after all.

I thought it was an entertaining comp in a "one-off, doesn't really matter" kind of way. Shitty conditions made it more interesting. When it was deep pow in there a year or two ago, it was just a huckfest with barely anyone landing anything.

Piper Kunst's run & backflip to finish was dope

A lot of it just looked like survival skiing/boarding

I'm guessing no one has skied S&S this season. The landing is waaay skewed and the run out will be ballz to the wall, if not your entire body plastered against it.

Oddly the handful of guys who have really mastered it were older guys with mileage:
    George Hirschland used to Tele into it more than almost anyone each year, into his early 60's.
    Wild Bill skied it regular like and always on his B-day. He's gotta be in his early 60's.
    Ernst Forst used to get up an early box with Patrol, ski it, then go back to the Fire house and go back to bed. OG pro mogul tour guy from the 80's. 60+ yrs. too
    My favorite part about Wild Bill's history in S&S is that if you meet him out of skiing/Jackson context you would never guess that about him in a million years. I met him years back in AK and didn't even know he was 'wild bill' and a rowdy skier until someone else bent my ear about his background.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    My favorite part about Wild Bill's history in S&S is that if you meet him out of skiing/Jackson context you would never guess that about him in a million years. I met him years back in AK and didn't even know he was 'wild bill' and a rowdy skier until someone else bent my ear about his background.
    Bill is a beast. For years I met him at random places in the sidecountry.
    My fave was bottom of saint patty’s day and he rolls up in the orange prison suit. Asks if anyone is holding. We ripped a few and has some laughs.

But yeah. Kings and queens is weak now.
    The only thing that impressed me was Tim’s backy off the cave lip.

So now, you sideslip the goat path. Then go to the last park sculpted jump and do a cork 1080 reverse nose butter skanky slack clacky for max points????
    . . .

So… totally off topic, but did Natural Selection happen? Last month when I was there, I watched ski patrol ski Corbett’s and was a little bummed they were keeping it closed for King and Queens since I hadn’t skied Corbett’s before myself. Not that I would have been entertaining compared to these guys. I also saw Natural Selection set up and ready to run the same week.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

After seeing this, I went back and watched the TGR clip from a few years ago where they followed Wild Bill for his annual birthday send into S&S. Turns out today (Feb 18) is his birthday. He was 63 in 2016 when TGR followed him, so I guess that'd make him 69 this year. Wonder if he did it today? Seems like conditions are probably non-optimal this year, especially for 69 year old knees / hips.

well, happy birthday to Wild Bill!!!!

GNARRRR!!! Pucker factor to the nth.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Cool vid!