Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Do I need a separate thread for Jeeping adventures ? It’s totally different from overlanding !

I don’t want to lumped in with the Econolines and 4 runners.
    Uh actually they are called forerunners

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Speaking of "going to the end of a very bumpy looong road and finding someone else there" - this guy was hanging out and then took off 10 minutes after I showed up. Only guy besides some ranchers unloading horses i saw for that day. How cool would it be to just fly into a zone and not deal with shit roads??

Attachment 406038
    Attachment 406039
    I know where that is... Took this right above the air strip there. Saw a plane come flying through the canyon and land. Pretty cool.
    Also, that road through the mars scape is one ofy all time favorite back roads.

Name:  Screenshot_20220215-124412.jpeg
Views: 513
Size:  43.8 KB

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

I, for one, enjoy car camping or overlanding or camping with toddlers outside of the designated campground. So I support this thread.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    And I like anal. You came out of the closet like a champ though.
    Quote for Sig worthy string of words.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Bruce Berry was a working man,he used to load that Econoline van….
    tried to do his best, but he could not
    north bound horse.

What level of AAA do you need to get a tow when you go more than 1/2 day out? I have Gold and a Jeep so I might need to upgrade.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I know where that is... Took this right above the air strip there. Saw a plane come flying through the canyon and land. Pretty cool.
    Also, that road through the mars scape is one ofy all time favorite back roads.

Name:  Screenshot_20220215-124412.jpeg
Views: 513
Size:  43.8 KB
    Nice, I'm not surprised you've been on all those roads and probably much much more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I, for one, enjoy car camping or overlanding or camping with toddlers outside of the designated campground. So I support this thread.
    During a real bumpy section my 5 year earlier this year, outside Moab, told my 7 year old "Hold on to your booster seat!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    What level of AAA do you need to get a tow when you go more than 1/2 day out? I have Gold and a Jeep so I might need to upgrade.
    Tows start at $1000 in lots of areas, and start at $2500k in other parts. I'm not sure if AAA covers any of it.

Nice, I'm not surprised you've been on all those roads and probably much much more.

During a real bumpy section my 5 year earlier this year, outside Moab, told my 7 year old "Hold on to your booster seat!!!"

Tows start at $1000 in lots of areas, and start at $2500k in other parts. I'm not sure if AAA covers any of it.
    I took my then-5 yearold daughter up a pretty aggressive trail this last summer. At one point on a particularly washer south section she looked at me and said, "I'm pretty sure we're kicking ass, dad!"

It was awesome.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

My boy loves getting out to scout the line.

sigless.

I took my then-5 yearold daughter up a pretty aggressive trail this last summer. At one point on a particularly washer south section she looked at me and said, "I'm pretty sure we're kicking ass, dad!"

It was awesome.
    That is without a doubt awesome! I'm not looking forward to the day when they wise up and start complaining about driving bumpy roads for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    My boy loves getting out to scout the line.

Ha, that's a good idea I need to use. BTW, did you know the Gazetteer has a section of road going south from that airstrip we both posted about and connecting to "one of your favorite Utah BC roads"? It's crazy, it does not exist and IMO will never exist. I can't imagine driving all they way there and realizing you have to turn around and do a 3-4 hour detour. My Nat geo paper map does not have that section in existence, and neither does any online app.

Also do you know a legit suspension shop around here? I'm considering options to make my ride have better small bump compliance so my wife and kids are more comfy when I drag them down roads only I want to go down. Main problem is it's 8500 pounds dry. I'd like to talk to someone with a ton of experience with bigger vehicles before I start experimenting and spending a bit of cash. And yes I currently have leaf springs.

I'm considering options to make my ride have better small bump compliance so my wife and kids are more comfy when I drag them down roads only I want to go down. Main problem is it's 8500 pounds dry. I'd like to talk to someone with a ton of experience with bigger vehicles before I start experimenting and spending a bit of cash. And yes I currently have leaf springs.
    Easier/cheaper is better shocks (Bilstein, Fox - nothing from Rancho, no twin tube), larger tires if can be fit easily, and aired down. On board air compressor is useful - there are many knockoff Viair types that work pretty well for cheap.

Harder/pricier is better leaf packs - many thin leafs, no add-a-leaf.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Thanks. I currently have Blisteins and air down for these roads and have a portable air compressor. So I'm looking for a pro shop that isn't guessing what to do - they know exactly what to do and they will know what my limitations will be when upgrading - based on my weight.

IMHO you can get a better ride, almost always, but custom leaf pack is going to be pricey. You're on the right track in searching for a quality shop.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yeah no way are you gonna punch through the reef there... There clearly was an old mining road that went into the canyon to those ruins, and theoretically you could possibly make it through on the stream bed, but definitely not a legit road, would be highly sketch if there is water in there. I think may have been an old road bitd that climbs up and out the south side side of the canyon, but it looks super gnarly. You can sort of follow it on Google Earth.
    I don't know a good suspension shop. Airing down is what I do to mitigate the washboard. But i drive a 100 series, so life is good and cushy. 80 series was even better...

sigless.

Overlanding makes a lot of sense in places where you’re driving way way off the beaten path into areas with no maintenance and extremely variable conditions.

Like backcountry Australia or Africa. Is the River we’re trying to cross too high? Did the road wash out? Is the map even correct? Then it makes sense to have a vehicle that can handle anything (trac pads, winch, big tires and multiple spares, extra fuel, etc)

Calling what we do in 99% of the USA “overlanding”is just cosplay.

I think you can call vehicle based backcountry exploration in Alaska or Northern Canada overlanding. But if you're driving around in the woods in the lower 48, it's just driving around in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    I think you can call vehicle based backcountry exploration in Alaska or Northern Canada overlanding. But if you're driving around in the woods in the lower 48, it's just driving around in the woods.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    Yeah I get what you mean, you’re just wrong. The GOTOS tail is wagging the overland dog here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I like driving around in the woods.

Yet you didn’t spring for the CB radio or rally fun pack.

Forgive me, but I've got a beater Prius. We were going to get rid of it soon, but ever since someone smashed in the door in a parking lot I've been dreaming of putting a skid plate and a lift on it. I'd mainly use it for going faster on forest roads and trailhead campouts. But I have no idea how dumb this project is or what it will end up costing me. Honestly, a couple more inches for snow is all I really need, but beefing it up for more confidence and some light offroad would be fun. Should I just call a local shop and hope they don't laugh at me?

Www.priusoffroad.com

I do to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Www.priusoffroad.com

That site is legit

a) mentions “designed for overlanding”
    b) has skid plates for Prius
    c) lift kits allow for fitment of BFG KO2

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

If you don't like how it turns out afterwards, you can sell the Prius to Montucky.