Asian fit goggles: resource/reviews

As may be obvious from my username, I need Asian fit goggles. Perhaps I have slightly different needs than most, since I am only half Asian, and on the larger side than a stereotypical Asian person, but for the most part it appears that the only thing that makes goggles fit for Asians is extra foam in the nose bridge area (When searching on Google, people often mention small goggle size, but I think this is usually just something certain people want, and many of us have larger domes anyway -I certainly do).

I have long dealt with huge gaps between the lower portion of goggles and my face, which can result in lots of snow infiltration on some of the best ski days. Many standard goggles that I have either owned or tried on, I can easily fit my entire fat middle finger into the cheekbone gap. I have a low nose bridge and prominent, wide cheekbones.

I have purchased a few different goggles which claim to be Asian fit, with varying levels of success, so I am hoping those of us that need it can use this thread to share our experiences in reality, since I have found it difficult to find truly useful info out there, and it’s not that convenient to find these goggles to try them on in many places.

I pretty much always ski with a helmet, but I don’t think this has too much influence on the relevant fit.

I currently own some Smith IO Mag XL’s in their Asian fit guise, and I find the extra foam to be lacking. While they are better than most standard goggles, I can still fit my pinky finger into the gap. So, not terrible, but not what I expect from a premium product that is supposedly designed around my needs.

I owned a set of Giro’sawhile back. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the exact model. They were Asian fit, and my memory says they were similar in fit to the one’s above.

So far the best fitting goggles I have found in this regard, and I actually like their fit overall as well, are the cheapo Magpro goggles, also found under Akasotech. These do not specify that they are Asian fit, but they are “cheap Chinese goggles” found on Amazon, etc., so maybe it shouldn’t be surprising. I do find the lens variety and quality to be less than with the major established brands, but they fit me so much better that I have ended up going back to them again because they fit my damn face.
    I have one of the sunny, mirrored lenses that comes standard, and the yellow lens. While I haven’t tried the other lenses, there seem to be a bunch that are very similar with regards to VLT, so I’m not sure how much difference there is with performance, or if it’s more about color tint and style? The yellow works reasonably well in low light and stormy conditions, but I find it can lack contrast compared to something like the storm rose lens from Smith. I do wish they made something more similar to those. They do have some orange and rose, etc. type tints, but the VLT is only in the range of 50% which isn’t great. Lastly, these have my favorite quick change system -just some strong magnets, nothing else. It has been trouble free for me and I have found some others to be both too fiddly and delicate.

What have you found? Recommendations and reviews please!

I'll just chime in as a fellow halfie with a pair of Smith I/O Mag Asian Fits. The extra foam is just right for me and that's about it, the nose bridge is simply less defined with extra foam there compared to my non Asian fit ones.

Which half is AZN top half or bottom half ?

I been using Smith Turbo fans for quite awhile

https://www.xspex.ca/goggles

I got a set of these ^^wrok good with glasses comes with 2 lenses easily swapped with magnets & latches
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-14-2022 at 04:26 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Which half is AZN top half or bottom half ?
    The left, duh

Spy Legacy and Oakley Flight Deck work well for me, Smith doesn't have enough foam around my nose. Unfortunately it looks like both the goggles I like got discontinued so I'll have to find something new once these wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    The left, duh
    I did think about that ^^ later on

I had never thought about it, but just tried on my Smith I/O Mags and I can fit a finger between the nose bridge and my nose so I guess they don't fit.

Can we also get some sunglasses recommendations in here? I bought the X-tigers on Amazon and they stay off my face, but they aren't very high quality. I'm thinking of buying Oakley asian fits.

As the laziest AZN in Canada my go-to is the classic cool Rayban Wayfarer cuz nothing fits my face better, I buy them on my extended HC plan take out the tinted lenses, just use the frame for rx lenses, so I have 5 pairs, a very high quality frame but i still managed to crack a frame by crashing the MTB,

I just swapped lenses, 5 pair is a lot of redundancy

The wrong side of the Atlantic, the wrong side of the Channel...
    I have the Flight Decks in an Asian fit, despite being Anglo Irish. They fit well on my narrow-ish (I like to think chiselled) features

The frame of Oakley Flight Deck in an asian-fit a bit too curvy and stiff, so more of a large goggles for small-medium size faces.

Found Smith Squad XL (also asian-fit) much better for wide&flat face with high cheekbones. I'd preffer more foam around nose bridge but it's OK as it is.

Also regular large lens Julbo models are good. Low profile and very flexible frame makes good face fit.

The Oakley line miner and the fall line seem more flexible. She couldn’t wear the flight deck because the lens didn’t allow the frame to flex like the other two models. Also her prescription lens fits better in the line miner for some reason. Sportrx.com for the win also. Their prescription lens is no joke and theres zero fogging.

edit to add, sweet protection makes some “low bridge goggles” that add foam to the nose, but reading reviews from the interwebs, it seems like they should stick to making helmets, or buy smiths fan technology
    Last edited by SoVT Joey; 02-16-2022 at 08:01 AM.

note that some eye glass prescriptions will not fit in a curvy wrap around futuristic frame, if you are buying rx sunglasses you have to ask your dispensing optician what will work

It's Low Bridge Fit now guys...
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    It's Low Bridge Fit now guys...

So is it politically correct to say “would you like to go get some low bridge food with me?”. Sorry for the confusion in advance.

Can you buy a goggle foam kit and add foam?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    So is it politically correct to say “would you like to go get some low bridge food with me?”. Sorry for the confusion in advance.

Yes, I would love to get some Taco Bell

I like to use the cheap “flat-lens” Smith goggles.
    The Squad and older Fuse are my go-to. And they’re cheap enough to just carry a 2nd pair in my vest/pack if the light changes or they get full of snow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Yes, I would love to get some Taco Bell

The one with the KFC also?!?!

Big fan of the Kentaco Hut

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I don't think it's the same comparison....

Saying something is "Asian fit" is implying that Asians are the only ones with low nose bridges, which just isn't the case.

AZN american preeze