High Arch, Wide Forefoot, Narrow Heel, Alpine Oriented Touring Boot, Not Super Stiff?

The time has come to replace the alpine boots and thinking of ones with tech inserts and switching the balance of the quiver to Shifts over time. After years of being in boots that hurt in every which way, I landed on Nordica Beast 10s - wide forefoot (>101), narrow heel and lots of room for my comically high arch. Bought a second pair immediately and have made those two last almost 15 years. But now it's time.

Looking for an alpine oriented touring boot (I will keep my Megarides for pure touring, they were worked to fit like slippers), so not looking for the lightest ones out there, but don't want to add a weight penalty unnecessarily. I don't need race boot performance - I'm a lightweight with a perpetually tweaky right knee so I loved the Beast 10 vs the burlier 12 (Progressive flex with the factory booster strap). But this would fully replace my front side boots for the 75% of the time I'm riding the lifts out East. I also value ski boot plastics that don't stiffen in the cold, that is why the knee is tweaky in the first place. I don't know the different types, but like a consistent flex no matter the temp.

Looks like Scott Cosmos, Hoji Pro (maybe too stiff) start with a wide forefoot but I can't find info about arch or heel. Just looking for a starting point to try on some boots. I have a great bootfitter but his stock of touring insert boots is only Cochise and Hawks. They will spend their lives in either 997s or Shifts. Realistically, that would eliminate true rockered hiking soles like the Zero G in the 997s as far as release reliably, right? Not that I haven't clicked my Megarides into the 997s on occasion, this will be on a more consistent basis though.

Thanks in advance for any direction!
    Last edited by BCR; 02-14-2022 at 06:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

Might look at the Dalbello Lupo Ax 120. They have a 100mm last, and handle a high instep (I assume that’s what you mean by high arch) pretty well. You can always get them punched for width. I have the HD version with tour wraps that I ski they as a 90/10 resort boot.

Fwiw, the gripwalk sole might play with the 997, but you’re gambling with your knees.

Hawx Prime could be an option, only problem would be the narrow heel…

I have really similar feet and got a pair of the Scott cosmos three alpine touring boots last season. I had to pad up the heels a bit but I really like how they ski for both touring and resort days. Flex index is probably around 115. I also like how they have simple buckles and no cables or boa system.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Pretty much sounds like my foot shape - I'm in a pr of Lange XT3 Tour Pro's this winter and aside from a TourWrap liner no other mods needed. Skiing inbounds 70% with either Wardens or Duke PTs

I've got a similar shaped foot and the K2 Mindbender 120 has been excellent since I got them back in the fall. The forefoot shape on the K2s is much rounder and less tapered so it does well with wider feet. I've struggled with cold, hurting feet for years in other boots (Salomon and Head) and the K2s have solved all my feet issues. K2 boots weren't really on my radar but I'm very pleased with them.

I use mine with Shifts and the Moment Wildcat Tour and do about 70/30 resort/backcountry.

The Mindbenders have the bells and whistles of a resort touring boot - tech inserts, laceable liner, 2 sets of soles, reasonably light, etc. They're worth a try on if you haven't yet.

Hawx ultra with a punch is great for my wide forefront narrow heel tall instep foot. I have it in both xtd and inbounds versions. Don’t rule it out without trying it on.

Your foot shape sounds exactly like mine. Touring was an exercise in pain and Morton’s neuromas until I got Hoji Pro Tours. Tried literally every boot and these are magic slippers for me. I did punch out the 6th toe a bit with a heat gun but you may not need it with conservative toe box measurement of 103mm. 120 ish deep flex. Ski great and light for their performance.

Edit: on the softer side of 120 and the liners are pretty flimsy; wouldn’t worry about them being too stiff.

zipfit liners with whichever shell your bootfitter says.

I would say try the Hoji free 110

I been in the vulcan for awhile ( high arch/ narrow heel/ wide forefoot, carpet testing the free 110 feels like it would work
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Similar foot shape here.

Most 100mm boots are going to have wider heels. I would stay away from the Lupo AX as the heel is cavernous. The standard Lupo could be an option after being punched for width. Personally I couldn't transition to the 3 piece design but did give a year and the fit was great. I started with a AX clog but had to transition to a standard one after a 3-4 weeks of pack out.

Hawx Prime does have a decent heel pocket and is worth a look. Personally I didnt like the flex on them when it was all said and done but likely should have stuck it out and found a liner that solved the issues I was having.

Currently I am in the new Cochise, The heel is looser side for sure but no lift since the instep is holding me down sufficiently. I could only find 120's in my size so I wonder if the 130's liner would hold up better and provide a little less movement. In the past it had firmer foam.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Why not just go to a bootfitter with a greater range of offerings? You can always take whatever someone else puts you in to your guy.
    Training for Alpental

Primarily resort? Nordica Strider. Stock cork liner is good. Zipfit would be better.
    Hawx prime is lighter and tours better but the flex defiantly sucks a bit more.
    K2 mindbender will also fit but skis like dogshit. Replacing the liner immediately could help.

Hoji is full rubber 9523 sole and theoretically shouldn't work with your 977s. Its a good boot if it fits your foot but I also know several folks who have given up trying to make it work for them.

Hi, this is a reminder that hackers have been getting into accounts with stsle old passwords and causing mayhem scamming people in gear swap.

Update your passwords, be wary in gear swap, report suspect activity!

I also have a very similar foot shape with extremely wide forefoot and high arch.
    Currently skiing in Scott Cosmos Tours and love them, the only boots I've found so far which will accommodate my planks....
    Looking to get into some faster touring/dabble in ski-mo - does anyone have recommendations of wide fitting light boots? Not necessarily out and out race, but lighter/with more flexibility than the Cosmos?

Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Looking for an alpine oriented touring boot (I will keep my Megarides for pure touring, they were worked to fit like slippers), so not looking for the lightest ones out there, but don't want to add a weight penalty unnecessarily. I don't need race boot performance - I'm a lightweight with a perpetually tweaky right knee so I loved the Beast 10 vs the burlier 12 (Progressive flex with the factory booster strap). But this would fully replace my front side boots for the 75% of the time I'm riding the lifts out East. I also value ski boot plastics that don't stiffen in the cold, that is why the knee is tweaky in the first place. I don't know the different types, but like a consistent flex no matter the temp.

Looks like Scott Cosmos, Hoji Pro (maybe too stiff) start with a wide forefoot but I can't find info about arch or heel. Just looking for a starting point to try on some boots. I have a great bootfitter but his stock of touring insert boots is only Cochise and Hawks. They will spend their lives in either 997s or Shifts. Realistically, that would eliminate true rockered hiking soles like the Zero G in the 997s as far as release reliably, right? Not that I haven't clicked my Megarides into the 997s on occasion, this will be on a more consistent basis though.
    If you buy a boot with a wide forefoot, it will not have a narrow heel. That's not how boots are designed. Some companies do better than others at building liners with a snug fit around the achilles, which helps heel retention.

Your best bet is finding the snuggest fit around the midfoot and ankle, and having your great bootfitter make the forefoot work (assuming you have enough overall volume). Cosmos, Hoji Free, and Zero G all have glued-on ISO 9523 soles, maybe it's time to think about an MNC binding?

That is my Lupo ax 120 I believe. 110 or 115 may be better on light flex. But o have high arch and medium wide forefoot. I find heel very snug with tour wrap liner.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I would say try the Hoji free 110

I been in the vulcan for awhile ( high arch/ narrow heel/ wide forefoot, carpet testing the free 110 feels like it would work
    The hoji free and Vulcan have some of the lowest insteps out there.

I ski the Cochise 120 and 130, both with Intuition liners, and no footbed to get enough instep height.
    The heels were narrow enough so I just required a bit of forefoot(a lot) width added.

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Roxa R3 130.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Kiyo, I got a pair of these on my feet and I think you're right, they might be the ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    I ski the Cochise 120 and 130, both with Intuition liners, and no footbed to get enough instep height.
    The heels were narrow enough so I just required a bit of forefoot(a lot) width added.

Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

I've been skiing the Scott Cosmos line for several years now and absolutely love them. With my wife forefoot and high instep, they're the only boot I've found that fit me like a glove right out of the box. I started with the Cosmos 1 and upgraded to the red Cosmos 3 as it has an upgraded walk mode. Both of these had a 103.5 last and a 115 flex. I'm now looking at the 2024 Cosmos Pro as it also has a 103.5 last and 130 flex, as compared to the 102 last and 125 flex on the 2023 and a BOA system. I also have a pair of Nordica Strider 120 that fit my feet well, but I'm not overly impressed with the boot. My feet start very warm in all of these boots as compared to my Tecnica Mach 1 MV 130 that squeeze me get to sleep.

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may be in Utah...