Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Titus slack ti 29er hardtail - buy or not?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBTILM...-mountain-bike

Considering this bike - would be about $2300 shipped to the US (assuming no customs charges get tacked on). It's currently on a 10% off sale, and it's in stock.

Pros: Ti, geometry, Pike, mostly GX.
    Cons: cheap wheels with HG freehub, terrible tires, NX cassette, SRAM Guide brakes (strong preference for Shimano).

I figure frame, fork, and GX bits are pretty much worth it. How bad is the NX cassette? I don't care about the 11 vs 10 T small cog. I do have a XD wheelset I could use, but don't have an extra XD cassette.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Seems like a decent deal.

Other than the concerns you already mentioned, I'd say a 150mm travel fork on a 62° head angle would be considerably better with a lyrik. And that pike has the crappier damper in it. But that's all about par for the course at that price.

The stock tires (*tyres) are also shit. But it looks like you can maybe upgrade them.

The drivetrain isn't great, but it'll be fine. Especially on a hardtail.

All that aside, you should buy it.

I have a bike with a Pike with the basic charger damper, and it seems fine - was a major improvement over the prior Revelation with the motion control damper.

I think I waited too long, and the 10% code expired. It'll probably show up again sometime.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Wow that thing is super long, 510mm reach in a Large and also pretty long chainstays. Thing will likely be super planted. As for NX cassette I run a 12spd on an older HG wheelset, definitely doesn't shift as well as higher end, but works fine.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    You might be able to open the link in a private browser and sign up for their emails, which will give you 10% off your first order.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    You might be able to open the link in a private browser and sign up for their emails, which will give you 10% off your first order.
    I was already subscribed - used another email address to get a code, and it works on bikes! Thanks for the idea.

Now to decide....

That's a pretty sweet rig. The geo is pretty dialed, IMO, and that's a ridiculous price for a complete titanium bike.

FWIW, a friend and I were both recently charged customs for wheels sent from Canada. Not saying it's going to happen, and the woman I spoke with said they tend to crack down more during the holidays, but it stings less if you're prepared for that possibility.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Was the customs charge a flat fee, or a percentage? What was the amount?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Was the customs charge a flat fee, or a percentage? What was the amount?
    Sorry, I don't remember the breakdown, but it was ~$180 for a ~$1400 purchase. Most of it was customs with state sales tax tacked on. I even got dinged for the free t-shirt.

I thought the bill was a scam, then thought they'd miscalculated, but I verified it all with the seller. Total kick in the nuts, budget-wise.

Ouch. Gonna Google some and see how likely it'll be that I'd get a customs charge.

might not be worth much but my TI hardtail experience on the Supple7 from WHY is that it is very noodley. i should have known better given its name. maybe those seat stays on that Titus help but i was always left wondering if TI isn't better saved for softer pursuits.
    bumps are for poor people

The only ti bike I've ever owned was a circa 2001 Dean hardtail. It was noodley too - disappointing, so it didn't stay around long.

Did more Google searching on customs charges. Apparently US customs levies an 11% charge on complete bikes, and then local sales tax gets applied. Maybe buyer gets lucky and they don't charge any of it, but if not, that's a hefty add on.

Planet X website says customs and taxes are the buyer's problem to pay for.

Chain Reaction says they cover all customs duties. And there's a much nicer spec'd Ragley they have (though not in stock) for $2900 - not nearly as slacked out as the Titus:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod197465

I’ve posted before about my Ragley blue pig frame. cRC was awesome to deal with,got the frame in days and CRC paid all duties.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

That ragley seems like a better deal and a better bike to me. Yeah chromoly vs. ti but as others have said, ti might be overrated as a bike frame.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

The combination of a pile of mediocre parts + likely customs fees + sales tax = I'm passing on the Titus.

I wouldn't change a single part on this Ragley, other than the price... and it's out of stock in my size.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod197477

Bummer. I have the Mmmbop which is the Blue Pig in 6061 flavor and it's a hoot.

py
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Bump. The steel frame version is on sale now, comes to about $450 US shipped, and from what I have read online, buying just a frame may not trigger customs charges.

Tempting. But then it'd be a long process collecting parts for the build. I have a used Ibis 938 aluminum wheelset I could use for this.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROOHD...eid=1cf0428447

Bump. The steel frame version is on sale now, comes to about $450 US shipped, and from what I have read online, buying just a frame may not trigger customs charges.

Tempting. But then it'd be a long process collecting parts for the build. I have a used Ibis 938 aluminum wheelset I could use for this.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROOHD...eid=1cf0428447
    I have all the parts... I'll sell you a full XT kit if you are worried about hunting for parts.

Enabler!

Maaaybe. I'll ponder the frame for the day.

Doooo iiiiittt!

Enabler!
    I have a full take off groupo, and I'm pondering buying a frame to put all these parts on.
    But I NEED to sell these.
    I wanted a frame only, and I could only get a full bike with the XT.... so I'm in way deeper than I expected.

I dangled the carrot, we exchanged PMs and I gave him a price on a full XT group.

I really like how we enable each other around here

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I appreciate Dee Hubbs' offer - am considering it, but as the wheelset I have for this frame has an XD driver, I may end up using a SRAM drivetrain on this build -- even though I prefer Shimano.

Trigger pulled on the frame though. Just a little under $450 shipped, should be no customs duties or taxes because it's under $800 for the item. Picked the "sea foam green" color.