Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Last few pages are stellar. FoS, that wall tent is bigger than my house!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

camps

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Last few pages are stellar. FoS, that wall tent is bigger than my house! Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Yeah we went big this year! Taj mahal

My buddy's 14x16' on the right with a pop up canopy for the kitchen in the middle, then my 12x14' on the left.

We had 2 styles of camps for our archery elk trip. Started off backpacker style

Then moved to a quick attack style, easy set up ice shack. Which actually worked really well.
    Attachment 439978

Judy, the old lady, had a rough go at a barbwire fence. Here she is, clearly annoyed with me conceding that a vet was necessary. There's a much bigger gash on her chest that is also stitched up. But she never stopped hunting and we nearly had our public land quail limit!

Oddly, her sister Sam hit the same fence at the same time and didn't have a scratch.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Hope Judy gets some extra kibble and tummy rubs.

Sounds familiar though, this guy will bust through brush so hard that he’ll come back bleeding. It always surprises me how hard he’ll go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3840.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	440136

Griffs are splendid beasts

Sam and her mallards from the morning.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Hiked my tits off today for 3 redlegs. Dogs were perfect...didn't bump any birds and held points for days. The birds, however, were less than cooperative and busting at 50 yards.

Fuckin' bandits.

Probably time for a new thread, just came to say I got an email notifying me that I drew a Colorado elk tag. Let the preparation begin.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Probably time for a new thread, just came to say I got an email notifying me that I drew a Colorado elk tag. Let the preparation begin.

Congrats!

I drew a deer tag in an Utah unit with a very high mortality rate from winter kill. After a hike through there a couple of weeks ago and seeing the carnage, I just can’t. I’m going to turn it in.

I’m hoping for a late season cow elk tag in the draw.

Fall 22/23 Days Afield Thread

Congrats!

I drew a deer tag in an Utah unit with a very high mortality rate from winter kill. After a hike through there a couple of weeks ago and seeing the carnage, I just can’t. I’m going to turn it in.

I am with you - I put in for a Wyoming antelope tag but after driving from Rock Springs to Hoback and seeing all the dead antelope, there is no way I would feel comfortable hunting them. It was staggering - hundreds of them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Congrats!

This.

While morel hunting, this spring, I've stumbled upon a ton of carcases from the winter. It's gruesome.

I have access to a property in a southern unit where my general tag becomes a short range either-sex tag and I might just shoot a fat, cornfed doe with a slug gun, harvest the meat, and not feel guilty about pressuring our haggard population up here.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Congrats!

If it's a resident tag perhaps sacrificing the purchase price of the tag and holding on to it would be the better move, if the idea is to reduce the harvest.

ZZZ did you draw one from "our" unit that's now three units? I'm on my last year of dedicated for it (they let us keep it as a big unit) and I'm a little concerned about this year. We'll see what archery season shows. Nothing else for me, OTC elk and probably one of the new archery season cow hunts on the Wasatch.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    If it's a resident tag perhaps sacrificing the purchase price of the tag and holding on to it would be the better move, if the idea is to reduce the harvest.
    Yeah, I’ll call the DWR and figure out the best plan. If there’s a way I can turn it in and get my point back and it doesn’t get re-released, I’ll do that. If not, I’ll eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    ZZZ did you draw one from "our" unit that's now three units? I'm on my last year of dedicated for it (they let us keep it as a big unit) and I'm a little concerned about this year. We'll see what archery season shows. Nothing else for me, OTC elk and probably one of the new archery season cow hunts on the Wasatch.
    Yes. I hiked into the WMA the second weekend it was open and the bottom of the canyon was absolutely filled with dead deer. The smell was overwhelming. Seeing 10 dead deer in a few square yards and knowing that they all stood there and starved to death together was pretty devastating.

Yeah, I’ll call the DWR and figure out the best plan. If there’s a way I can turn it in and get my point back and it doesn’t get re-released, I’ll do that. If not, I’ll eat it.

Self-sacrifice, a rare commodity these days. Hope you get your point back.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I guess I'm gonna spend some time in the Breaks as I got one of the Archery Only Either Sex tags. Stupidly I didn't realize this tag meant I can only hunt archery there, but I think I can spend 5 or 6 days there during the 2nd/3rd week in Sept and hopefully hit the rut at a pretty good time.

Anyone going to Big Sky TAC at the end of the month?