Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Good season with the bow so far. Muley doe in September and then a whitetail doe last week. Hunting buddy has a muley doe and a color phase black bear down too. Went down for rifle opener in southern Alberta yesterday. 3 feet of snow. As a spot and stock hunter that is tough for chasing elk. Especially as WG noted. Similar to here it's all side by sides and 4 guys per truck running around. That being said saw at leat 3 big elk in the back of trucks.
    A couple grouse early season. Now to chase elk locally and help friends out for the month.
    Grim reaper mechanicals are not letting me down.
    It can be frustrating seeing big bulls in the back of a truck and the dude who apparently shot it is shaped like a basketball......it's like, "What the fuck am I doing out here hiking my ass off when these guys pound millers and somehow shoot bulls without stepping more than 10 feet from the RZR?"

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    It can be frustrating seeing big bulls in the back of a truck and the dude who apparently shot it is shaped like a basketball......it's like, "What the fuck am I doing out here hiking my ass off when these guys pound millers and somehow shoot bulls without stepping more than 10 feet from the RZR?"
    Truth beyond belief

Unlike last year the opening week of MT rifle season delivered the start of the elk migration if you could handle the rain, wind and snow of the first two days. Monday the sun came out and the elk started moving despite the knee to thigh deep snow. After watching a parade of cow and spike herds for most of the day at about 2:00 PM this 6x6 bull came out of the timber and I managed a 245 yard heart shot to end the story quickly.
    Name:  Sun at Cougar Creek Camp.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  121.6 KB

Name:  6x6 bull elk 2022.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  73.1 KB

That is an awesome pic. Congrats! Looks like one of those “hell yeah, this is gonna suck so bad” moments!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    That is an awesome pic. Congrats! Looks like one of those “hell yeah, this is gonna suck so bad” moments!

Reverse anthropomorphism.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Unlike last year the opening week of MT rifle season delivered the start of the elk migration if you could handle the rain, wind and snow of the first two days. Monday the sun came out and the elk started moving despite the knee to thigh deep snow. After watching a parade of cow and spike herds for most of the day at about 2:00 PM this 6x6 bull came out of the timber and I managed a 245 yard heart shot to end the story quickly.
    Name:  Sun at Cougar Creek Camp.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  121.6 KB

Name:  6x6 bull elk 2022.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  73.1 KB
    Great bull!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Just started my duck season Saturday. To my pleasant surprise, there were plenty of birds in the area. The first group at zero hour was a group of about 200. Two shots were fired, four ducks fell. Two limits were filled shortly after, lots of young, molting drakes.

Feels great to be in the blind again!

"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Another fun and productive weekend in the grouse woods. We bagged two more grouse.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221029_212105417.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	431790

This is the first bird. If I hadn't tried loading my gun after the shot I may have been able to get a double.

This guy came by my stand yesterday evening and was breaking branches and making noise but he never came out in the open where I could get a shot. I went back to the stand this evening thinking he would not be around because in my experience the deer never show up at this spot two days running for some reason. But he came in on me from the opposite direction at last light. Heard a noise and turned and he was 30 yards away with his nose to the ground. Good thing it was windy or he would have heard me setting up. He was quartering toward me so it wasn't the cleanest kill--it took him about 15 minutes to expire. The slug gun hits hard though. Psyched to have meat in the freezer so early in the season.

Beauty!

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post

Name:	58ACB1A4-91DE-4245-A12D-CE11CF0BFBF3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	432136

It’s been warm and pretty tough hunting - but it sure is nice “hiking with a rifle weather”.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Fall 22/23 Days Afield Thread

Congrats all - some great stoke on this page.

Day 5 of “hiking with a rifle” here and it’s a similar story in northern CO. Animals are very high up and elusive, our best sign has been at 10.5K+ . That’s my favorite place to be in November

I got this guy my first morning out. I feel quite lucky and undeserving because I just wasn't able to put the time in this summer/fall scouting.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mule deer.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	432179
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    I got this guy my first morning out. I feel quite lucky and undeserving because I just wasn't able to put the time in this summer/fall scouting.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mule deer.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	432179
    Daaaaaaaamn. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Daaaaaaaamn. Nice work.
    +1. Great buck!

Name:	Doe.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	432265

I found a nice girl.
    Freezer is full, life is good.
    Last edited by MiddleOfNight; 11-03-2022 at 03:45 PM. Reason: add pic of doe
    north bound horse.

Life is good. Storm didn’t materialize this morning but the birds cooperated decoying perfectly. Poor shooting led to a longer outing than needed but limited out by 11.

Name:	IMG_2894.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	432488

Had some time before work, back to the same spot, lost two more birds to the deep water. Should have brought the dog but she’s too impatient to sit still.

Name:	IMG_2902.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	432745

Taxidermist has had a shoulder mount of mine for FOUR YEARS.

Apparently in 2018 when I dropped mine off the reviews were still good. Shortly after the online reviews starting coming in. He takes forever, his product is suspect, he never returns calls, someone had to take him to court etc etc.

I called him about 2 years ago and hear nothing. I found him on Facebook a week or so ago and messaged him and he actually got back to me. Says the mount is done and that he was out of town for a week (hunting I'm sure based on his FB lol)....supposed to pick it up next week. I paid him half back in 2018 and still owe half.

Do I take this on the chin and just pay in full to get the mount (which I have not seen yet)......or try to fight him a bit on price?

WWMD?

At least you're *hopefully* getting your mount. I have a friend who lost her Oryx to a shady taxidermist.
    I'd come with full amount in cash but in increments smaller and give him the business about the time it took, four years is a bit ridiculous. I had my bull back (granted, euro) in 6 weeks from a reputable guy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Taxidermist has had a shoulder mount of mine for FOUR YEARS.

Apparently in 2018 when I dropped mine off the reviews were still good. Shortly after the online reviews starting coming in. He takes forever, his product is suspect, he never returns calls, someone had to take him to court etc etc.

I called him about 2 years ago and hear nothing. I found him on Facebook a week or so ago and messaged him and he actually got back to me. Says the mount is done and that he was out of town for a week (hunting I'm sure based on his FB lol)....supposed to pick it up next week. I paid him half back in 2018 and still owe half.

Do I take this on the chin and just pay in full to get the mount (which I have not seen yet)......or try to fight him a bit on price?

WWMD?
    So he knows which mount is yours...but doesn't remember you gave him a deposit?

I had to text him the grip and grin photo and he was like, "Oh yeah! It's in the shop and done...."

Claims he couldn't read his copy of the carbon copy receipt and why he didn't reach out to me.....kinda suspect.

If it takes paying the full balance to get the mount back oh well, but I'll take Phall's approach and at least try to meet him in the middle somewhere.

Long story short but ended up with this stubborn archery bull. Super stoked and great looking meet. Buddy shot it but it hit elbow at 20 yards, one inch over and it would have been perfect. it ran up above me at 40 yards, I cow called it stopped I didn't see any blood sent one through. A bit low but must have hit both lungs and diaphragm. It didn't go far but took a while.

High marks for style crashidy!!
    A defining moment came, and you filled it with two arrows and sixty seconds of distance run.

Respect!

In other news, I just dropped $900 on rope ladders and anchors to access the goods and more importantly, gtfo without giving up body parts. Come next July, I might have ziplnes or pulley loops rigged to haul back meat, but for now these slots I gotta cross are under 3k feet of steep spines and cliffs dropping into a whitewater V.

They're sorta right about sheep hunting - It's not exactly like I don't want to hunt anything else until this quest has ended... but anything else sure seems like a step down in sporting appeal.

I've been watching this same bunch of rams for 2 years now, and they are not that far away.
    Hard not to dwell on them...
    Last edited by highangle; 11-14-2022 at 05:58 PM.