Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Yeah. Every time I think my suffering sucks, I think of some poor bastard in his tent for 72hr straight in AK. Had to bail early for some mental rnr, back out for the last 6 days Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Anyone hunt with a Large Munsterlander. I am thinking about getting a puppy.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    Anyone hunt with a Large Munsterlander. I am thinking about getting a puppy.
    Yes. Awesome upland dogs. Lots of energy but also sweet. If you primarily hunt upland and can keep it exercised, do it.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Between work and being sick I'm gonna try to spend at least 5 days in extreme SE MT focused on Antelope (have a B tag now as well) and Elk too? FWP says elk numbers are over 200% down there. Place is pretty foreign to me besides driving 212/Broadus cut off several times.

Seems like the kind of place where a spotting scope and lots of patience would come in handy?

Took the daughter on her first hunt today. She was my retriever for dove and she loved every minute of it. She’s helped me clean animals in the past (once chased my wife around with a turkey’s foot) and has absolutely no issues with killing animals for food, but it was fun to actually bring her along. We saw tons of duck and geese, kicked up a rooster for fun which she loved and mainly took it all in. Really fun.

“Thank you Mr. Dove. You are delicious.”
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Well I bagged another bear this year. I found an area with a ton of sign while mountain biking and paid it a couple visits over the last month. The first time I tried using a predator call. After an hour or so of calling at a couple different spots I confirmed there was a bear in the area when it went boogying away from me on the other side of the valley. After that I became a bit less convinced in my calling ability and figured that I'd try some other options rather than continuing to imagine I could call one into my lap.

Yesterday evening a buddy and I went back up to the area and still hunted into the wind. After I spooked something big out of the valley(moose, big bear, cow?) I kinda gave up and was waiting for my buddy to catch up.

At one point I glanced over my shoulder and saw a 3-4 year old bear cruising down the decommissioned road toward me about 80 yards away with his head down. I've had a couple recent bad experiences with wounding and losing game so decided to duck down behind some bushes and see how close he'd come rather than take a quick and jittery offhand shot.

He popped into view 20 yards in front of me and a shot to the chest dropped him. He's not the largest bear but I still spent the next 10 minutes shaking from the excitement of it all. It was a very cool experience. I've got a bloody grip and grin of him but it kinda seems like the picture dumbs down the event so I'll leave it to your imagination. Plus I'm a lot uglier than the Rev's cute daughter so I can't compete with that.
    Last edited by John_B; 09-10-2022 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Yes. Awesome upland dogs. Lots of energy but also sweet. If you primarily hunt upland and can keep it exercised, do it.
    I’m working with a buddies a bit right now. The more I’ve worked with and been around versatile dogs, particularly German dogs, the more I think it’s important to realize they’re truly bred to be a Swiss Army knife. If you hunt upland get a pointer. If you hunt waterfowl get a retriever. If you do both get something like a Griff. If you're ok with a close working pointer, want to invest heavily in pigeons and have lots of free time to train and don’t mind the neighborhood house cats being delivered to your door then perhaps a munsterlander is a good fit.

The one I’m around now points pigeons in a launcher beautifully but is having a hell of a time translating that to the field. She keeps her nose to the ground (bred to track) and runs through scent 9/10 times on wild birds. A good chunk of that I attribute to the owner not being disciplined and shooting (rewarding) flushed birds for her last season. I worked with a pudlepointer a bunch this spring who is going to be a really nice dog but the owner is/was super frustrated she wasn’t steadying as quick as most setters do. If you realize things don’t come to versatile breeds as quickly as they do pointers and retrieves and there is some compromise then they’re great hunting/house companions. If you have unfair expectations that they’ll be as good as a pointer and a chessie all in one, that’s unfair to the dog.

Munsters are real nice in the house, they do like to whine though, apparently a German dog thing. When the day comes that I can’t keep up with Setters any longer a Munster tops my list for a close working, not as big running dog with a bit less gusto. In many upland circles folks refer to them as the perfect old man’s dog.

Day 18. After a weekend home to recharge the batteries, the ghost town turned into a rut fest, and was able to take my Utah LE bull. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5F58794-33E9-487D-8075-1BD72C787F64.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	565.6 KB 
ID:	426286
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8716.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	426287
    Name:  B937A45E-CAE3-41C6-91C5-3FB670C45323.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  235.5 KB
    Name:  B3ADB827-0CDB-429A-A07B-8F09F330E262.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  208.9 KB

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Day 18. After a weekend home to recharge the batteries, the ghost town turned into a rut fest, and was able to take my Utah LE bull. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5F58794-33E9-487D-8075-1BD72C787F64.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	565.6 KB 
ID:	426286
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8716.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	426287
    Name:  B937A45E-CAE3-41C6-91C5-3FB670C45323.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  235.5 KB
    Name:  B3ADB827-0CDB-429A-A07B-8F09F330E262.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  208.9 KB

Yes, P!!! Well done and congratulations!!!

Fuck yeah PHall

Awesome Phall! Way to stick with it.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Bada bing!

That elk is HUDGE mate!!

Last edited by highangle; 09-13-2022 at 09:03 AM.

Congratulations Phall!
    That G1 is something else.

DUDE!!! Nice work, Phall! What an animal!
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Congratulations Phall ! FKNA!

I’m not really a scorer. I saw he had mass and was mature, but never expected to shoot something like this. 344 gross by our very amateur/ basic job.

Nice P!

Congrats, rad bull!

Congratulations Phall…that thing is a beast! Packing out a 120# Blacktail is child’s play! Great work!

Awesome Phall!! Super cool fronts on that bull!

Holy fuck Phall, congrats dude!!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Great photos! A happy girl in the field and big bull getting packed out.

Well done!

I introducing Myrtle the “Medium” Münsterlander. Mom was a small and dad a large.

I look forward to training her to hunt along with my boys.

For now it is camping, potty training, snuggles, and play fetch. She is chasing, interested in birds, and generally great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B6FA541-8614-4219-8008-9FB8267D6683.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	426733  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Holy bull, Phall!! That's a monster.

In other news, I found a sheep on opening morning!
    Name:  IMG_2232.jpeg
Views: 260
Size:  76.3 KB
    north bound horse.