Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    OTC mule deer and "combat cow" tag here (me and 2000 other people). Really going to focus on chukar this year, as my older dog is 8 and while she's in great shape, no dog can hunt chukar forever. She loves it and so do I, so we'll give it hell.

Like Snapt, the beauty is that I'm taking some time away from work this fall, so my goal is to hunt five days a week while I can. Kids and life will inevitably get in the way, but that's okay. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Stoke is growing.
    I’m a bit closer to Chukar country. Let’s try to cross paths. My new pup will likely blow some birds.

Nice berry-eatin' blackie on my training trail - 400-500lb with a front track almost 7"
    Compare to yearling track right in front of it.

[Knife is #7, about an inch longer than a Bic lighter]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220713_194930.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	423065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220713_195300.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	423066  
    Last edited by highangle; 08-04-2022 at 04:56 PM.

Welp, packing for a midmorning start tomorrow. So it begins.

I'll park the truck, hike in about 6 miles and set up camp where the black timber meets the alders, and eat until sleep overtakes. Then up for a 2AM headlamp start in the rain, these rams are way up in the black shale around the 5000' contour and if I can get up to their elevation a couple spines over I can belly over the ridgetop for a couple nice slow calming dry-fires and a dead-hold 300yd shot before any of them know I'm there...

Plan is to go up light/fast, and siwash on the hill until shooting light on Wednesday the 10th. Depending how socked in, that may be 5AM. There looks to be only a few places I can lager above the alderline. The rest is gonna be spikes and ice axe steep, and wet, and prob windy. Debated leaving the 5lb spotter/tripod, but just can't bring myself to do it. I have no fucking idea how I'll get down in the wet with an extra 100-sumthin lbs of meat and horns...but I won't need to be stealthy then, I can build a fire and I'll have all the food I need, and I can come down a different route anyway and traverse a mile to the tent.

Thing is, I'll be near to their primary trail in/out of this particular bowl, so I really got to 'neak up on'em. Wearing the whites on this one, maybe a ball gag...

Taking a cheap tent in case it gets shredded while I'm gone for >24hrs. Seems a warm little Aiak knockoff, with dual vesties and fly to the ground. A little heavy at close to 5 lbs, but it's built like a M tent, with mesh pole sleeves, foam doghouse vents, 8 ground stakes and no less than 8 guy points. It's held up to some wind at Lost Lake, and a hose test, so we'll see.

The woods I'm camping in have all the treetops snapped off from something, and in fact the sheep are there because the winds blow the snow off their food and loads glide avys that often do the same for them. Wish the tent was fly-first, but I have a 9x9 sil-poly tarp I can pitch first to keep the tent pitch dry. Then, set up a couple scarebears and a paracord tripline, eat about 4 Tylenol PM gelcaps, go to the creek, make a little fatwood fire and eat 3 salmon dip bagles, a ziplock full of warmed-up penne alfredo, and a liter of fair trade hot coco before I brush my teeth and go back and hotbox the tent with a couple bowls of ocean grown.

From a Power Gel Clif bar/dried fruit breakfast in the the tent next morning, imma hoist my pack bag and sleep system with the extra food, load a daypack on my Guide Lite frame/load sling, slap my face and wish I had sum cocaine, and set off on a 22hr solo sheep stalk in the gnarliest part of the 'Gach in the rain and dark.

I'll post pics if I live.
    Last edited by highangle; 08-07-2022 at 04:39 PM.

Well I understood most of that.

Good luck HA! I'm envious of the opportunities for Alaskan hunters.

Two suggestions.
    Smoke in the great outdoors and not your tent.
    Brush after smoking.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

OTC mule deer and "combat cow" tag here (me and 2000 other people). Really going to focus on chukar this year, as my older dog is 8 and while she's in great shape, no dog can hunt chukar forever. She loves it and so do I, so we'll give it hell.

Like Snapt, the beauty is that I'm taking some time away from work this fall, so my goal is to hunt five days a week while I can. Kids and life will inevitably get in the way, but that's okay. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Stoke is growing.
    Yo! If that's the tag I think it is, our place over the pass can be a great place to escape the madness! Ping me when we get closer and I'd love to catch up and show you the zone up there!
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post
    Yo! If that's the tag I think it is, our place over the pass can be a great place to escape the madness! Ping me when we get closer and I'd love to catch up and show you the zone up there!
    Unit 49 Ultimate Cage Cow Battle?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Unit 49 Ultimate Cage Cow Battle?
    I'm pretty sure that includes unit 50 too, but I could be wrong. 11/15 to 12/15? Anyhow, if the pass is still open, you have place to crash and avoid some crowds!!!
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Game time in Utah. Summer went by too fast. Of course it was a shitstorm of a last 1.5 months before the LE tag opens,
    Grandpa's funeral, COVID, car troubles, sick dog. Luckily everything's cleared up and it's time to get in the woods. Good luck all see you on the other side.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Just a few days to ID archery season. Did a little scouting this week and the animals still appear to be enjoying the green grass and moisture available at higher elevations, but it's a 30 day season so things will change. I'm sure the typical early fall pattern will reemerge sooner or later.

Sat approx 30 hours of water this weekend trying to find bulls. Saw 6 total, one nice 6 Friday on the hike in, two a LONG ways off, and let a small 5x5 walk Sunday. Got soaked, had two bears come in to water at 6 yards and 25 yards respectively. long way to go but getting closer to the vocal timeframe.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Action is good.

I got weather. Aviation weather says I might have a sucker hole tomorrow. I might be able to climb up to see if my rams are still there, or if the last 16 days of rain and cloud deck have moved them off of their hidden high perch where they spent the month of July. Got some cottonwoods and aspen starting to turn, but no dust on my local 6ers yet. Rain's all coming off the warm ocean.
    Time this shit takes:
    Time to get up to the sheep and shoot
    Time to get to to a dead ram afterward [may or may not be consequential]
    At least 2 hours to whittle the ram down on a slope and load him up to packout
    Time it takes to get down to camp

Time it takes to get back 6mi to the truck with all my shit.

Had root canal yesterday...

Loaned my 30yo BAR '06 BOSS to a friend who drew Seward Goat. He's gonna go up Mt Alice with his 13yo son, needed something sweet-shootin the kid can learn on. With the brake it's loud and has some scope flash, but it's nice and heavy and only kicks like a .223. It'll print 1 hole at 200yds with dumb slow Winchester XX 180s, which is good medicine for goats.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Scored an Antelope 700s tag for Eastern Montana. If anyone has tips (besides driving around BLM for hours and glassing) I'm all ears.

I have no tips except to say a friend of mine gets that tag most years and seems to have no problem shooting one on public land. Usually two because his kid gets one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Scored an Antelope 700s tag for Eastern Montana. If anyone has tips (besides driving around BLM for hours and glassing) I'm all ears.
    I’ve hunted that tag a few times in the past. Best advice IS to drive around until you find the main herd. Then you can get out and hunt them. Antelope a herding animals and will roam in giant herds. It would usually take a day or two of covering as much country as possible before we would find the majority of animals then start our hunting. Shoot the first decent looking representation of the species you come across. That area is not a trophy area.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

From MTFWP 2022 Big Game Forecast:

Survey efforts indicate that pronghorn numbers are strongest in the southeastern portion of Region 7 and are not as robust in the northwestern portion of the region. Through public outreach and the 799-30 additional doe/fawn license (which is valid only in HDs 704 and 705), regional staff will encourage hunters to take advantage of the flexibility available to them via the regionwide licenses and focus their efforts in areas where pronghorn numbers are more robust (which will also relieve pressure where local populations are struggling).

The message here is that the extra windshield time to reach the southeast corner of Region 7 is absolutely worth it,” said Melissa Foster, Glendive/Baker biologist. “Hunters will find better densities and good public land opportunity in this remote portion of Region 7.”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C950598F-8D8C-4EB4-AAA4-ABE63A6E2B97.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	721.0 KB 
ID:	425102I got as lucky as you can get. Cool weather in California A Zone had deer moving all over the place and we got a beautiful 4x3 Blacktail an hour after sunrise.
    Last edited by Creeker; 08-30-2022 at 12:21 AM.

Finally got out this morning despite blazing heat. A limit of pine chickens in 40 minutes and we were out!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C950598F-8D8C-4EB4-AAA4-ABE63A6E2B97.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	721.0 KB 
ID:	425102I got as lucky as you can get. Cool weather in California A Zone had deer moving all over the place and we got a beautiful 4x3 Blacktail an hour after sunrise.
    Right on man!

Can someone turn on the AC for Utah. This weekend was a sufferfest of heat. Bulls are quiet. Saw 4 but none that I could make a play on based on location/light. 13 days in, leaving Thursday night for the last 8 days of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Can someone turn on the AC for Utah. This weekend was a sufferfest of heat. Bulls are quiet. Saw 4 but none that I could make a play on based on location/light. 13 days in, leaving Thursday night for the last 8 days of the season.

I feel for you. It’s balls hot out there and I wouldn’t want to be archery hunting right now.

The iPhone 14 can connect to satellites for emergency SOS features

Probably the biggest new feature for the iPhone 14, 14 Plus and 14 Pro isn't one you'll use ever day, but you'll be glad you have it if you need it. The new phones have a built-in satellite connection that people can use to send emergency SOS messages in places where there's no available cellular signal.
    First, your iPhone will help you orient your phone in the direction you need to point it to get the best signal. Once you have a connection, you can open up a message interface that lets you communicate with emergency service providers. Apple says that because of satellite connectivity limits, it'll take much longer to send messages than you're used to, so the feature includes some automatic questions it prompts you to answer, like "is anyone hurt?" It'll have auto-populated answers that you can tap to respond. Apple is also compressing messages to a third of their normal size to make sending them a little quicker.

Apple say that once the message is sent to the satellite, it then gets routed to emergency response centers; if those centers are only set up for voice calls, they'll first be passed to a response center that'll then get in touch with emergency response.
    This feature will be included for free for two years with all iPhone 14 and 14 Pro models; it's not clear how much it'll cost after that. For people who are frequently away from cellular signals — perhaps the same people who are looking at an Apple Watch Ultra — this feature could be extremely useful in a tough spot.

https://www.engadget.com/iphone-14-e...183230405.html

Phall…good luck out there! Hope it cools down soon and rest of season is better.

Got shit for tags this year and work took a turn (good but bad) so skipping elk season for first time in a decade or so instead of OTC. Have a trophy pronghorn tag for beginning of October…guess that will have to get me through the 14 hour days…7 days a week for the next while.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I feel for you. It’s balls hot out there and I wouldn’t want to be archery hunting right now.
    I went opening day just to go and haven't been back. The season has about 2/3's remaining so it may cool off in time.

We have almost the opposite - hard to hunt the high country when it's socked in. Hell it's hard to go a hundred yards when it's socked in...

I'm a local boy and know where rams are, but we've had 2 huntable days above treeline since the season open 8/10. I got cliffed out on the opener and had to pull back before the weather closed out.
    Then went up another day where I knew they could see me and found a band of sublegal rams and a big herd of nannys and kid goats where my grown rams used to be before the weather changed.
    Then went to a different spot on another evening between storms and relocated my rams [by luck] - they had moved miles away from where they had been since June. But I got a good long look at them from about 3 miles away. And again a few days later, from further away. Little dots working their way up into the cloud deck in some classic sheep country...

But now the way is shut. No way to get there from here. Only way to open it up in the remaining 11 days of season is to rock up strong with a crew of highscalers.
    Of course, that would blow the whole scene, because loose lips sink ships...
    Looking more & more like a job for next summer - setting a fixed route through the technical slate and alder, and another up a stalk-able route to their early-season pattern.

A successful hunt in these hills means either an epic packout, or heli extraction of one type or another. But it would be the crown of my hunting career.

Hitting bottom isn't a weekend retreat. It's not a goddamn seminar.
    -- T.D.