"Cagette" translation from French in ski reviews

Any thoughts on what the meaning of "cagette" would be in French ski reviews? Google keeps the term untranslated, but literally means "boxy" or "crate" from looking up the word. Uncertain what that might mean in terms of a ski's behavior. I've seen it in several reviews.

Example, "A la descente, le toucher de neige est plutôt agréable et l’effet “cagette” est peu présent." translates as, "On the descent, the touch of snow is rather pleasant and the “cagette” effect is not very present." (Ski Rando mag ski review issue)

Maybe cagette is the feeling that you're getting rattled around in a crate while on the skis?

Sorry for the possibly lame post- feeling the school tedium, taking a study break, and stuck inside.

A “cagette” is one of those old school crates for holding produce or things like that. “Toucher de neige” would be better translated as “snowfeel.”

I’m not sure what the “cagette” effect is but I’d assume either “planky” or “chattery.” Just a guess though, I’m not a native speaker.

Haha, you got it. Very light wood.

Made from paulownia, basically.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

PM Boissal

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    PM Boissal
    HA! Love that I elevated myself as one of the resident experts in French! PROUD!

The translations above are accurate. Skier comme une cagette, although not the most common saying, basically means skiing like a beater. When I was growing the term cageot (the male version of the cagette, because obviously these things are gendered) meant ugly girl.
    As for l'effet cagette, gonna have to reach out to some better informed buddies in the motherland on that one. Never heard of it but I see it's applied to BD skis so guesses about rattling/chattering are probably spot on. Something about overly light material and no damping probably.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Is it possible that the expression is French Canadian, explaining why Boissal might not be familiar with an expression in such a crude language. Cajun, Haitian, or West African would be other possibilities, although I believe skiing is less common in those places.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Is it possible that the expression is French Canadian, explaining why Boissal might not be familiar with an expression in such a crude language. Cajun, Haitian, or West African would be other possibilities, although I believe skiing is less common in those places.
    The quote was from Ski Rando Magazine, which is tres tres euro.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums