Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    It's like you are concerned about the reliability of this fine automobile. I think you may have missed the point of this thread.

I hope for Mr. Fried' sake that the wiring is a complete cluster fuck of British proportions!
    I get the point of the thread, right up till there's actual money being exchanged..... I don't want to see him end up like Gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    The friend is gonna buy it or it will get hit by a tree in a storm. That is the Montucky way
    Lol. Story of my life.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    It's like you are concerned about the reliability of this fine automobile. I think you may have missed the point of this thread.

I hope for Mr. Fried' sake that the wiring is a complete cluster fuck of British proportions!
    Solid point, Lionel.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    I get the point of the thread, right up till there's actual money being exchanged..... I don't want to see him end up like Gravity.

It's ok, Touring. Worth it for teh lulz. I mean, why else would I be entertaining the purchase of a heavily modded Saab for? Haha. (I still want it tho)

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    It's ok, Touring. Worth it for teh lulz. I mean, why else would I be entertaining the purchase of a heavily modded Saab for? Haha. (I still want it tho)

Hey, I get wood from the Saab too, but you know that one's been modded. I fear for the crap on the Volvo you don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    The C30 is the only fwd car I'd buy (again). I miss that car, it was one of the most pleasant road trip vehicles I've ever owned, it was easy to drive and the easiest ever to park with the rear window just a few inches from the edge of the bumper, the seats are awesome and when it got broadsided on the driver's door I just crawled out the other side. Buy it.
    Good testimonial! Thanks. I'm in.

A heavily molested 01 Saab 9-5 that's been gang banged for 80k miles or a C30 that a Russian super glued back together after "sliding into a ditch "

Holy shit that some prisoners dilemma right there. Chances of either being "reliable" seem low. My money says that Saab needs a complete suspension rebuild and a clutch that's ready to go.
    Any Saab semi enthusiastic know that a PCV upgrade is mandatory for that era for sludge and the guy "just" figured out it hasn't been done.... Run, Forest, Run
    I can only imagine what was done or not done after the C30 was totaled. Unless that guy has some detailed photos "before" repair I would be very scared. It's not like they're offering a huge discount for that car for the rebuild at the listing price.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    He's gonna sell it out from under you.

Frick. I hope not! So, friend's test drive went super well today. Said it's a damn clean example, drives awesome, nothing wrong. He said "Get your ass on a plane now or I'm going to buy it!" He was serious too. Haha. Plane ticket purchased. Headed out first thing in the morning. Guy's picking me up from the airport. Wish me luck, fellas. Hopefully this will be THE car I've been on the hunt for so long for. Thanks for the fun thread, everyone. See you all in the Wrenching thread soon I'm sure. Hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Any Saab semi enthusiastic know that a PCV upgrade is mandatory for that era for sludge and the guy "just" figured out it hasn't been done.... Run, Forest, Run
    Hey that's how the Saab I got from a family friend died! They were moving out of the country and I saved their neighbor's kid from buying it so it wasn't all bad.

Frick. I hope not! So, friend's test drive went super well today. Said it's a damn clean example, drives awesome, nothing wrong. He said "Get your ass on a plane now or I'm going to buy it!" He was serious too. Haha. Plane ticket purchased. Headed out first thing in the morning. Guy's picking me up from the airport. Wish me luck, fellas. Hopefully this will be THE car I've been on the hunt for so long for. Thanks for the fun thread, everyone. See you all in the Wrenching thread soon I'm sure. Hehehe.

We're gonna need a TR of the return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    A heavily molested 01 Saab 9-5 that's been gang banged for 80k miles or a C30 that a Russian super glued back together after "sliding into a ditch "

Holy shit that some prisoners dilemma right there. Chances of either being "reliable" seem low. My money says that Saab needs a complete suspension rebuild and a clutch that's ready to go.
    I can only imagine what was done or not done after the C30 was totaled. Unless that guy has some detailed photos "before" repair I would be very scared. It's not like they're offering a huge discount for that car for the rebuild at the listing price.
    Yeah. You're probably right about the Saab, but I'm not too worried about the C30 after my friend gave me the thorough report along with a Facetime walkaround. Talked to the dealer that knew the history and apparently the "total" by an intermediary dealer was a freaking joke. Seems like it was likely done for the insurance $$$. Damage was limited to a broken wheel, a CV axle, and a tie rod. Drives straight as an arrow and body panels aligned perfectly according to my guy who drove it. He knew about the history and couldn't find any evidence of it. Car guy too, so I trust him. I'll verify for myself tomorrow of course.

Even if it DID have more damage, it's still miles better than all of other piles of crap I've been coming across lately. The used car market is freaking dismal in case you haven't noticed. Guess I'll take what I can get. Should be a fun little ride no matter the story. (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    We're gonna need a TR of the return trip.
    For sure! Hope I make the long trek without breaking down in the middle of nowhere. Haha.

I like to think that this thread will die once someone buys a pathfinder.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I like to think that this thread will die once someone buys a pathfinder.
    That would certainly close the loop on some things.

No new listings on BaT or C&B this morning.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    I mostly knew what I was getting into when I got the Rover, what I didn't expect was it had to become our only car and that regular wear parts would start disappearing. The solo car thing is the biggest downside but a close second is not having a garage. I could do so much of what has to be done if I had a flat, dry, somewhat climate-controlled space to work in rather than a sloped and wavy driveway. If I could work on my cars at night and get a little bit done at a time rather than having to push through whatever it is while the light is decent and it's not raining or snowing the frustration levels would be so much lower. It wouldn't hurt if I knew what I was doing either

Unfortunately when I lost my good paying executive gig then had a heart attack two years later (after throwing everything I had left into a new business) and lost another year of decent income before the world melted down during which time I watched our cars die one at a time leaving me at the end of the money rope, I needed something big enough to move the family around in and work with and the used market had blown up so I ended up with something that hit 6 out of the 10 important points. Thankfully things are slowly coming back around and I might even be able to get into something more appropriate by the end of this year but the reality is that I'm only into the thing for about $7500. I have 35k miles on it, it hasn't actually stranded me anywhere and it has brought my confidence with a wrench in my hands way up to the point where I jump in and do 500 mile days a couple of times a month and 300 mile days without even giving it a second thought. In reality, how many people with 16 year old rigs do that kind of mileage regularly and what would it cost for me to get into something better? In this market, for $10k I could buy someone else's problems or for $20k I could get something that might actually end up better or I could keep nickel and diming it for a while, even if it means going over $10k total it's still cheaper than replacing it so in my head I still have a fair bit of room to be frustrated again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-05-1972-Vista-Cruiser-1-4523-1200.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	414747

Classic, curb appeal, hauls lots of shit.
    https://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/fo...orba-Linda.php
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Well, after years of fruitless searching, we have finally found the right car! Deal is done. Just got my new plates so it's official. So here's how it went. I hopped on a plane to Lubbock first thing in the morning, seller picked me up at the airport with the car freshly washed, waxed, gassed up. Got to examine it thoroughly, drive it, took it to the dealer who gave it a clean bill of health and said it was in absolutely perfect mechanical shape, went back to his house to wrap us the sale. Seller was a really freaking great guy and great to work with. Was very up front about the entire history and every little knick or scratch on there before I came out. If anything, he didn't need to do even that because my jaw was on the floor with how absolutely clean this car was. Except for possibly some bumper work, paint's original and mostly looks and feels showroom fresh. Interior looks like brand spanking new, even smells like it. Back seats have obviously never been used and fronts are perfect minus a tiny wear spot on driver seat, but whatever. He was up front about it and it wasn't even bad. Clutch feels like new and the trans shifts like a dream. It was evident that this owner and apparently the previous ones BABIED this car.

Drove it over 400 trouble free miles home. No check engine lights, fluids and everything still good, and no leaks I can see, so I think it's safe to say I am good to go with this one!

This car is a hoot to drive. Perfect for zipping around big city traffic and obviously a parking champ with its diminutive size. It has shockingly ample backseat space (tested it myself) so the kids are both perfectly content back there and they thought it was a blast as I stomped on it to make a quick pass. "WEEEEEEEE!" They had their hands in the air like they were on a roller coaster. It's no CTS-V (like I used to have), but this is going to be the perfect little city car for my family! I'm stoked. Solid effing buy. Felt good paying a fair(ish) price considering the whacko used car market, and glad I rolled the dice on flying out for a car with a possibly checkered past (it obviously wasn't bad). Considering it's SUPERB condition both cosmetically and mechanically, I found a real jewel in a sea of trashed and overpriced used cars. Thanks for the fun thread, everyone. However, we don't need to finish here. Now to help Gravity find his next C30 or something similarly satisfying. Or I'll be back when I'm finally done with my XC70.

The TR:
    Leaving at the butt crack of dawn

Name:	PXL_20220428_110841697.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	414759

Getting picked up at LBB

Name:	PXL_20220428_154208868.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	414758

Before heading out town

Name:	PXL_20220428_165623860.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	414760

Dat virgin leather!

Name:	PXL_20220429_010149763.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	414761

I'll snap pics of the interior and engine bay later. Under the hood is equally spiffy. This car is clean AF.

Score! Worth the wait. Really cool car! Congratulations

Great TR, happy for ya MF.
    I still call it The Jake.

I am sorry to hear that you have failed in your quest for the least reliable vehicle possible.

But this one looks pretty damn nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

When I dropped of my Volvo for some work this week I saw a guy towing in a Saab 9-3 with another Saab 9-3. The mechanic I was handing my keys to looked up and said, "Oh Jeesh." under his breath.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I am sorry to hear that you have failed in your quest for the least reliable vehicle possible.
    Just be patient, Grasshopper...

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    When I dropped of my Volvo for some work this week I saw a guy towing in a Saab 9-3 with another Saab 9-3. The mechanic I was handing my keys to looked up and said, "Oh Jeesh." under his breath.
    why do folks complain about job security these days ?

Name:	PXL_20220428_154208868.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	414758
    That’s a great looking ride! I’m jelly

The Vista Cruiser would have been much sexier, and only somewhat less reliable.

Nice ride!!
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Score! Worth the wait. Really cool car! Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Great TR, happy for ya MF.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

But this one looks pretty damn nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    That’s a great looking ride! I’m jelly
    Thanks, everyone! Was definitely worth the wait. The long and arduous journey searching every source daily for aeons wasn't easy, but glad I didn't settle.

I'm also happy I didn't pay triple what I paid to get a brand new average car that wouldn't be on the same level as this one. Feels SO good to be driving a stick again. 6MT FTMFW!

When a tiny blonde, oblivious woman driving her comically large Escalade was hogging up the passing lane today, blocking miles of traffic (like a Yellowstone tourist with a camper putting down the 191 canyon), I found my moment of opportunity, dropped into 4th, turbo spooled, BUH BYE! So satisfying. Always get a crack out when they see you try to pass, THEN they floor it, trying to not let you move past, but DENIED, bimbo! Peace out! Bbbbrrrrrrwww. I still miss the LS6, but this'll do just fine.