Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Anyone know anything about Daihatsu Rocky? It appears to be in the same class as the aforementioned Tracker/Samurai and only ~8k were sold here between 1989-1991 when Daihatsu left the US market, so you get the added fun of tracking down parts. There's one for sale in my town. I would be tempted if it was cheap as like MontuckyFried, I can be a bit of a glutton for punishment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220210_012421914.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	405882

Edit: Just called about it. The seller is asking $3800. A guy had spoken for it, but it didn't pass smog, so it's up in the air. I'm not sure why they didn't register it as a classic car as it is a 1990 and you can get a classic plate here for anything over 20 years old that you drive less than 5000 miles a year.

Those are as good as the Montero of the day, IOW maintain them and they're as tough and reliable as could be. They're trucks made to do truck things.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 02-14-2022 at 07:50 PM.

Any caddy with a northstar...
    The trunk space is for carrying water jugs

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

https://peoria.craigslist.org/ctd/d/...443485918.html

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zander View Post
    sick!
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Anyone know anything about Daihatsu Rocky? It appears to be in the same class as the aforementioned Tracker/Samurai and only ~8k were sold here between 1989-1991 when Daihatsu left the US market, so you get the added fun of tracking down parts. There's one for sale in my town. I would be tempted if it was cheap as like MontuckyFried, I can be a bit of a glutton for punishment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220210_012421914.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	405882

Edit: Just called about it. The seller is asking $3800. A guy had spoken for it, but it didn't pass smog, so it's up in the air. I'm not sure why they didn't register it as a classic car as it is a 1990 and you can get a classic plate here for anything over 20 years old that you drive less than 5000 miles a year.
    Do it!

That Rocky with the chev 350 would be fun as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

Had a Northstar. Engine was solid for me. Evidently the trick is swapping the head bolts preemptively before those bastards back out on their own and cause head gasket failure. I'd buy another. ESPECIALLY in STS-V or XLR-V flavors.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zander View Post
    Oh shit!

This seems a worthy contender. Fun 90s sports car with Mitsu/Dodge collaboration (perfect for the spirit of this thread), evidently needs work out the gate (cuz of course it does). Guaranteed to leave me stranded.
    https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ct...446187237.html
    Looked it up, and apparently this is kind of the going rate for them these days. Typically cheaper than its Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 sibling. I had no idea since all the other 90s dream cars are so insanely priced these days. Neat!

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    This seems a worthy contender. Fun 90s sports car with Mitsu/Dodge collaboration (perfect for the spirit of this thread), evidently needs work out the gate (cuz of course it does). Guaranteed to leave me stranded.
    Looked it up, and apparently this is kind of the going rate for them these days. Typically cheaper than its Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 sibling. I had no idea since all the other 90s dream cars are so insanely priced these days. Neat!
    I remember looking at these in Sportscar Trader as a kid in the early 90s. I somehow didn't realize it was a 3000GT sibling.

A transverse mounted twin turbo V6 with all-wheel drive, all wheel steering, adaptive suspension, adjustable spoiler (maybe?), that's 30 years old with limited factory support... what could go wrong?!

Yeah, the early model years had active aero. They had a bunch of cool shit but kind of ended up the bastard of the '90s Japanese sports car bunch. They had some racing success at Pikes Peak and I seem to recall they had the highest top speed.

Quest for the Least Reliable Vehicle for MontuckyFried

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    You got skillz

The 3000GT VR4 had active aero, the Stealth didn’t. Made in Japan, just a rebadge job minimal dodge. A saabaru

Good clarification. The list of cars with active aero is short, and active front aero shorter.

It's really a lesser Nissan Z. Many similarities, but different in ways that make it worse.

AWD or FWD vs RWD. Ridiculously tight under the hood, but hey, let's put the engine sideways! So now you've got longer (more vague) linkages, and even more weight bias. It's bigger, and heavier, but just as cramped. They're both ugly, but the Stealth is uglier. And it looks cheaper.

I'm sure the performance is about the same, but there's so much support for the Nissan from both the factory and the aftermarket. Chrysler killed the Stealth themselves to make way for the Viper.

I'm guessing "I have spare heads for it" is code for there being a design issue, eg. known to overheat/warp, leaks, drinks oil, eats head gaskets, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    It's really a lesser Nissan Z. Many similarities, but different in ways that make it worse.

AWD or FWD vs RWD. Ridiculously tight under the hood, but hey, let's put the engine sideways! So now you've got longer (more vague) linkages, and even more weight bias. It's bigger, and heavier, but just as cramped. They're both ugly, but the Stealth is uglier. And it looks cheaper.

I'm sure the performance is about the same, but there's so much support for the Nissan from both the factory and the aftermarket. Chrysler killed the Stealth themselves to make way for the Viper.

I'm guessing "I have spare heads for it" is code for there being a design issue, eg. known to overheat/warp, leaks, drinks oil, eats head gaskets, etc
    All true. Thus the vastly cheaper prices than equivalent year Supras, Z's, RX-7's, and such. Always thought they looked like teh suck to work on. WAY advanced tech for the time, but yeah, lots to go wrong too. If I had a lift and plenty of spare time, it'd be a fun toy to tinker around with and abuse for a bit before dumping it off on the next sucker.

"Bargain Classic"

I'm sure there are enthusiast social / parts channels / racing, etc, that would make ownership easier. But that exists for all the other cars in its class as well.

When I was a kid, a guy on my paper route had a Jensen Interceptor. It was in pristine condition and only driven to/from car shows and the occasional sunny Sunday drive. I couldn't tell you if it was a Mk1 or 2, what year, or which engine other than it was a Chrysler V8 w/auto. That curved back window was space age cool, and the whole thing was very 'luxury sports car'.

Years later as an adult seeing a convertible, I realized that it actually had great lines without the roof/glass dome silliness.

Attachment 405713
    Joining late and was going to suggest Jenson, but ya beat me to it.

Which means I have to suggest a car I actually want. Saab Sonnet. Beautiful car. See?:

Name:  sonnet.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  10.5 KB

Here's a nice project car version:
    https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car...ii/1970/856717

And if that's too put together you have this option for only $3,000 and the next 4 years of your life:
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts...440677331.html

It'll look like this when you are done
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0812-13...ab-sonett-iii/

Instant classic. Ralph Nader special.

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...vair/101583799
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

make way for the Viper.
    Hmm.

How cheap can a Viper be obtained?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Hmm.

How cheap can a Viper be obtained?
    Mid-30Ks last I checked. Sucks because there was a time when you could pick them up in the teens for the less desirable models. That said I've driven enough of the 90s variants in my past that I'm not super interested, even if they were cheap. Dodge Neon parts bin interior. WEIRD pedal and steering wheel placement since the transmission tunnel shoves everything over. Definitely fun to hoon around for a day or two, or probably on a track, but I've had my fill even not owning one. Just borrowing them from the dealer I worked at from time to time when we had one sitting on the lot. CRAZY slidey in wet weather too. Haha. Good times, but kind of a sucky DD. Perhaps if I had a 10 car garage and lots of money, but alas.

Except a Viper like this one. I'd buy this one*
    https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d...446253619.html
    *if I could