Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone been on Moonlight skis?

Anyone tried, or know much about these? Particularly the 100% carbon layup which is insanely light? For example the Guide, which at 179, 106 at the waist, is 1160 g. My assumption would be that they are somewhat disposable and ski like shit in anything but light pow...

https://moonlightmountaingear.com/co...32409656918067

Glad you made a thread.. I'm very curious too

Bumpies!

anyone???

I think Paul Forward maybe mentioned them in a (recent?) Blister podcast?

Looks like it was the Cruiser though

Yeah, that's where I first heard of them actually. The Cruiser is a bit too wide for my needs though, the Guide is more what I'm looking for. I wonder I they'll do any follow up on the lighter version that he was about to mount.

Oh man they look cool but I can't imagine skiing a ski that size and weight in anything except perfect snow. Chunder would be death.

I have a pair of the older model Carbon 95 (now the Mission 96) in the 50/50 layup mounted with Raiders. I took them out for the first time last week in the ice rink that is Park City followed by a backcountry day in BCC.

In resort, I was pleasantly surprised. Obviously, the conditions weren't great (this was before the recent snowstorm), but the skis held up well in all kinds of in-bounds terrain. They carved very well and didn't get thrown around that much in bumpier/refrozen stuff despite its 1350ish /1700ish weight. Granted, I wasn't going all out over everything, and the beefier Raiders probably helped too. I have dedicated resort skis but wouldn't hesitate taking these out on any given day.

For backcountry, the skis tour like a dream. Very light and maneuverable going up and predictable, easy to control coming down. Conditions were similar to the Park City day. Given the very long and low rocker on the ski, they will float much better than the width would indicate although I couldn't find any pow to verify this.

Will post further updates as I keep skiing/touring them.

Bumping this thread... I'm on the verge of buying some Moonlight skis and curious if I can get anyone with experience to share what they think of them. I can't find any real reviews online but they are pretty much the only long radius, long rockered skis made with a lightweight touring construction.

I would highly recommend. Everything in my post above still holds true. Are you getting the pure carbon or 50/50 ones? And which model? I can only speak for the Carbon 95/Mission 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    I would highly recommend. Everything in my post above still holds true. Are you getting the pure carbon or 50/50 ones? And which model? I can only speak for the Carbon 95/Mission 96.
    I like the longer radius of the Guide but the Mission is a more practical width for me. I'm not sure which construction I'll go with, I would hesitate to go pure carbon without any reviews of that construction. Are you still in Utah? I'd love to buy you a beer and ogle the skis

No unfortunately, I'm based in NY and was in SLC earlier this year for a trip only.

With the caveat that I haven't actually fondled the pure carbon layup, I think they may be too light for ordinary backcountry purposes (unless you're planning to speed skimo all over the Wasatch). The 50/50 isn't that much heavier and I feel is better for more technical terrain given its slightly more ummphh. Plus, any extra weight can be mitigated by choice of binding and boots.

Another Nordic brand you can consider is SGN - their Hurrungane model might be a good choice for you. Unfortunately, they are all sold out for this season (they just had their end of season sale) via the official website, but sometimes European retailers may still have them. SGN is way more well known than Moonlight so you may be able to find more reviews.

I've seen the user kid-kapow on a thread talking about SGN skis - seems he's Norwegian and in Norway, maybe you can ask him?

As for mass brands, the closest thing I know of to your ideal setup are the Black Crows Solis, but they are way heavier and probably not ideal for long tours.

Just an FYI as an alternative, they Movement Alptracks series is getting updated nextyear, the 106 will have the same shape as the GO 106. Its getting a longer radius, straighter sidecut than the current version. I've never skied any of the Movements so don't have any frame of reference.

Name:  movement pic.png
Views: 832
Size:  266.4 KB

I know of to your ideal setup are the Black Crows Solis, but they are way heavier and probably not ideal for long tours.
    Funny you mention that. I own a custom ski from Wovn that copies the exact shape of the Solis in a ~1300g build. It is a perfect shape and great for steeps but its extremely stiff and beats me up on more relaxed tours with mixed snow conditions. I may have them build me another one with a softer construction.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Just an FYI as an alternative, they Movement Alptracks series is getting updated nextyear, the 106 will have the same shape as the GO 106. Its getting a longer radius, straighter sidecut than the current version. I've never skied any of the Movements so don't have any frame of reference.
    I am definitely interested in trying these, I saw the new 106 at Skimo Co and they look great. The are more expensive than the 50/50 Moonlights at a similar weight so I'm leaning Moonlight at this point

They already have next years alp tracks? Had anyone there been on them?

They had a demo pair just for employees, not for sale yet. They guy I talked too preferred the older ones, said they floated better but hadn't gotten to spend enough time on the new ones to have a strong opinion

Those Wovn are interesting, don't know much about them. Did you have them make a custom ski or something? How much did that cost?

The Moonlight weights are kind of interesting. THeir 50/50 layup weight is pretty light, on par with BD Helios or something, nothing too crazy. But the lighter layup is crazy light, so light is makes me nervous.

I bought the Solis clones from a friend who is close with the Wovn builder, who had them custom made. I don't know his normal policies with custom work. I know the standard skis have a lot of rocker, but mine have longer rocker and longer radius with a stiffer construction. I don't know what it would cost to commission a new custom ski or if he would do it.

Benneke10, if you order directly from Moonlight or any other Norwegian retailer, make sure they take off the 25% VAT from the price. It's excluded from exported products. Similarly, if the overall order (ex VAT) is more than $800 USD, you'll get hit with a US import tax. I'm not sure how much it is, but I've heard it's manageable for skis.

Skied the new Alp Tracks 98 in a 178 for a half day on hard snow at the ski area and was impressed with the edgehold and stability, esp. as I'd never normally use them for that . . .

Benneke10, if you order directly from Moonlight or any other Norwegian retailer, make sure they take off the 25% VAT from the price. It's excluded from exported products. Similarly, if the overall order (ex VAT) is more than $800 USD, you'll get hit with a US import tax. I'm not sure how much it is, but I've heard it's manageable for skis.
    Did you get hit with the import tax? The one other American I know who bought from them said he didn't pay any duties. I sent them an email asking, will report back

I did not buy my skis directly from Moonlight but from a French retailer who had them on sale. I was also living in London at the time so was not affected by import taxes.

I did however buy another set of skis from Norway, but because the overall amount was less than $800, I was not hit with the import tax.