Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Loose/Smeary PNW Charger?

I was skiing with my 18-yo last Friday and encountered some heavy but soft conditions (sun-affected pow/dense pow 6-8" deep). I was skiing my 192 Mfrees and he was on his 185 Enforcer 110's. He kept talking about how he wants a ski like the 110 but looser in the tail. My immediate thought was that he needs to try my Mfrees. They have demos on them, so I suppose I can make that happen. What other skis out there are that are 110+/- in the waist that charge but also ski loose in denser coastal snow? Maybe the Cochise106? Billy Goat 110? His daily driver is an M102 in a 184, but those aren't loose and smeary enough for him in deep snow.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

billy goat

$10 says Vic is going to pop in here any second and say the Reckoner 112... and I don't think he'd be wrong.

My two cents: Moment wildcat series - depending on snow conditions. Firm (like the past 5 weeks) 102, do everything- get the 108, or do everything but have more fun on storm days - get the regular 116.

I've been putting some serious time on the 102, and have been blow away on how well balanced that ski has been for popping, surfing/slaving, carving, grilling, smoking, driving, blastin, moving, landing... I think you get the picture.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Moment Deathwish.

If he wants to go a bit wider, MFree 118 is really easy to slide around and still pleasantly stable at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I was skiing with my 18-yo last Friday and encountered some heavy but soft conditions (sun-affected pow/dense pow 6-8" deep). I was skiing my 192 Mfrees and he was on his 185 Enforcer 110's. He kept talking about how he wants a ski like the 110 but looser in the tail. My immediate thought was that he needs to try my Mfrees. They have demos on them, so I suppose I can make that happen. What other skis out there are that are 110+/- in the waist that charge but also ski loose in denser coastal snow? Maybe the Cochise106? Billy Goat 110? His daily driver is an M102 in a 184, but those aren't loose and smeary enough for him in deep snow.

You're clearly in Goat country and you already own about 27 pairs. You've unknowingly answered your own question 27 times in advance.

OG bodacious.

Not the Bodacious or the Cochise 106.

Salomon Blank or Blizzard Rustler 11, Billygoat as well. Good luck finding any of them at this point in the season.

GPO skis like a looser mfree 108. Biggest difference in how they ride is the mfree is a better, more powerful carver than the GPO.

im curious about the BG110. buy so you can tell us!

+1 for GPO. Or more specifically, a detuned GPO.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The skis that top my list when I replace my E110s are the hotshot, mfree 108, or the new nordica 108 unleashed if going wider I would think the blank or Rossi blops 118 maybe even the j skis friend.

I have both brand new 192 m free 108s and new 2023 enforcer 110 186s

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I've got these for a HEAVY, smeary 119 underfoot resort pow, chop, and crud ski. The TGR bros may mock the kid for wanting to be dentist, but dentists make a good living it seems like.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    ...He kept talking about how he wants a ski like the 110 but looser in the tail. ...What other skis out there are that are 110+/- in the waist that charge but also ski loose in denser coastal snow?
    Easy to find a loose tail model if you're willing to go wider and wider, but for 110mm waist "skinny" skis, I feel like it's not as easy to find an exaggerated loose tail design nowadays.

Bandit Man, you skied the 185cm Helldorado, right? Only 113mm underfoot. Do you think your son might like that exaggerated rocker in the tail? If yes, but if he dislikes the other traits of that ski (e.g. heavy metal, forward mount point around -4cm to -6cm from TrueCenter, etc.)---then there are other "old" skinny options with similar exaggerated rocker in the tail: Patron (same shape as Helldorado, no metal, lighter weight), or Gunsmoke (114mm waist, no metal, lighter than Helldo), hard-to-find ObSETHed (but 117mm waist is getting much fatter than what you asked for...).

A cheap $75 beater Helldo in Seattle if you want to let your son give it a try just for kicks, at https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...r-fairly-cheap

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Blade optic 114
    Reckoner 112
    Someone owes Mr Conroy 10 bucks

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    A cheap $75 beater Helldo in Seattle if you want to let your son give it a try just for kicks, at https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...r-fairly-cheap

Man, did I love these skis greatly for several years. They are pretty loose but not sure they'd be much more so though eh? Aren't they pretty much the same ski as the enforcer 110, just heavier? Wasn't aware they toned down the tail rocker.

For maximum looseness in our heavy ass sticky snow, I've personally found that a longer but lower and more gradual tail rise plus a ton of taper works best for me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I’d usually say Bibby but in the PNW I don’t know how the BG110 isn’t running away with this poll. Especially with the verbs “loose/smeary”.

Notable mention: Reckoner 112 only because SVS slays on them.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    I've got these for a HEAVY, smeary 119 underfoot resort pow, chop, and crud ski. The TGR bros may mock the kid for wanting to be dentist, but dentists make a good living it seems like.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    They are chop destroyers.
    I will likely put my pair up for sale soon though.
    My quiver is kinda top heavy.

4frnt Hoji's
    111 underfoot and very loose in the tail
    skid luxury

I think he needs to try a Corvus.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    4frnt Hoji's
    Hojis, What ever SVS is on from K2, Blanks, maybe just take a metal file to the tail rocker section of his current skis and remove any remove any/all edge?

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    4frnt Hoji's
    way too light... great ski in fresh, gets knocked the fuck out trying to blast through chop.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Banditman….loose/smeary? What is happening? Speaking my language! Haha.

Back in 2013 - 2015 when I had a cabin at Baker the 115mm LibTech NAS Pows @-6cm were awesome. They could carve and smear. Also had some Helldorados @-5cm around then too. And original Bibbys @-6cm.

Faction Candide 5.0s and Icelantic Nomad 115s replaced those three. Still have the Nomad 115s. Super smeary for a 115mm pow ski and it handles chop pretty well too.

Proto 118s and Salomon Blanks are my main loose/smeary skis now.

What is common to all those skis is the forward mount points between -5cm and -7cm, and a decent amount of tail rocker.

This is all very un-K108 like? Banditman has your the tgr account been hacked?

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Banditman….loose/smeary? What is happening? Speaking my language! Haha.

Back in 2013 - 2015 when I had a cabin at Baker the 115mm LibTech NAS Pows @-6cm were awesome. They could carve and smear. Also had some Helldorados @-5cm around then too. And original Bibbys @-6cm.

Faction Candide 5.0s and Icelantic Nomad 115s replaced those three. Still have the Nomad 115s. Super smeary for a 115mm pow ski and it handles chop pretty well too.

Proto 118s and Salomon Blanks are my main loose/smeary skis now.

What is common to all those skis is the forward mount points between -5cm and -7cm, and a decent amount of tail rocker.

This is all very un-K108 like? Banditman has your the tgr account been hacked?
    At this point I think maybe you should start naming the skis you haven't had instead of the ones you have ;-)

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I’ve got a pair of 186 Gunsmokes you (he) can have. Unsure when I’m heading west. But figure around Easter would be a safe bet.