Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Help needed picking a 112mm-ish backcountry ski

Will be skied with Zero G Tour Pro or equivalent. Also with Dynafit Vertical ST.

Me - 5'8" 150
    Terrain - Colorado backcountry
    Snow - pretty much anything, but would like it to be pretty damn fun in powder while not sucking elsewhere

My current skis are BD Carbon Converts. While they are quite light, I find them to be average or below average in most conditions.
    My inbounds powder ski is a 191 Origin 116 which I love in soft conditions.

I'm thinking:
    1600-1800g
    180-188 depending on contact patch
    Has to be on the playful side in powder as well as easy to pivot in tight trees and scrub oak.
    Has to be decent in harder conditions, but I'm generally not skiing firm conditions fast in the backcountry.
    110-116 waist

What does the collective suggest? And don't say search
    DPS, Moment, Atomic, ON3P, Line etc?

Ferox.

Vwerks Katana?

Two recommendations that fall into this range, roughly:

Volkl BMT109 - gentle full rocker, amazingly damp for how light it is (roughly 1650g@186cm) - amazing soft snow ski, super easy to throw around but can get "serious" in difficult and committing terrain. Very well behaved ski for how much fun it is. Huge fan of this ski. One of my very favorite skis of all time.

Praxis GPO (116mm) - loose, capable, fun. Wish it had more edge contact in hard snow but overall very capable. Heavier than the BMT 109 but slightly damper, better suspension (at least in Flex4 MAP core variant). Better at crud busting. Similar performance in powder.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Ferox.
    181 or 186?

Voile V8 or Hyper V8 is another option that doesn't get talked about a lot here. Voile makes nice skis, and I really like mine for a variety of CO snow.

I am a big fan of my ON3P Billy Goat Tours for midwinter Colorado touring, and I've converted a couple friends over to them as well. I have the 116s but I think the 110s that they offer now would be great if you prefer a slightly narrower ski.

If you need one ski to do everything, including into springtime, I'd probably consider something different (Praxis GPO, Moment Wildcat or Deathwish, etc) but for mostly 3D snow the BG's rule.

Help needed picking a 112mm-ish backcountry ski

Deathwish Tour 184

112 waist. 1750g. Floats like a dream. Triple camber holds on hard pack. Stiff enough for big terrain but loose enough to be a blast in deep pow.

Blister review said they would be happy as a 1-ski touring quiver (can’t get higher praise than that).

If you get along with more progressive mounts (-5-7) the Deathwish tour is a good option. The triple camber makes them grip way better than they should on hard snow given their width and rocker profile. They also have enough rocker and surface area to be fun in pow. The billygoat 110 tour is a good option with a more traditional mount and soft snow bias. They won't do as well on firm snow but will surf powder better and handle breakable crust/windboard/funky soft BC snow conditions really well.

Disclaimer: I have not skied the tour versions of these skis, just the inbounds DW and full sized BG

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Deathwish Tour 184

112 waist. 1750g. Floats like a dream. Triple camber holds on hard pack. Stiff enough for big terrain but loose enough to be a blast in deep pow.

Blister review said they would be happy as a 1-ski touring quiver (can’t get higher praise than that).
    100% agreed. I have the 190 DWT with Voyagers and I love them.

Worth mentioning that I outweigh OP by 50 lbs, so 184 is probably a good length for OP.

I have minty Ferox Freebird 186 with Tecton 12 and skins. Hit me up if interested.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Another vote for the moment deathwish tour. I don't think you will find a more versatile and fun ski at this width and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    Another vote for the moment deathwish tour. I don't think you will find a more versatile and fun ski at this width and weight.
    That's what I'm leaning towards. I had a line on one a couple weeks ago but let it slip.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    My counterpoint to this is another vote for the BG 110 Tour. I have the previous iteration of this ski (Steeple 108). I previously toured on OG Deathwishes. I haven’t missed the Deathwishes once since I made the switch. Steeples are significantly better in pow and 3D variable snow and not massively worse on firm backcountry snow. Other people’s mileage of course varies, but I wonder how many Deathwish tour fans have skied the BGT in either width? Deathwish is a great ski that I was pretty happy with, but the BG shape, rocker and mount point work so much better for how and where I ski. Mount point is probably the key consideration between the two skis. DWs require a neutral stance in pow. BGs allow more forward pressure and are much more consistent in pow/3D snow. Know thyself and select appropriately.

How has the Hoji not been mentioned on this thread yet?

I've been really impressed with its performance just about everywhere, with maybe the exception of the skin clips falling off the tail more than other skis.

Mount with Zeds, Voyagers, or Alpanists and you're in a good ballpark for weight/stability/float, and get Pomoca pink or blue/tealish skin for improved glide, and the extra 100g will be minimized.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I’ve got my name on some 2023 Bentchetler 110s. Coming in sometime soon. Mounting @-5cm with Tectons.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    My counterpoint to this is another vote for the BG 110 Tour. I have the previous iteration of this ski (Steeple 108). I previously toured on OG Deathwishes. I haven’t missed the Deathwishes once since I made the switch. Steeples are significantly better in pow and 3D variable snow and not massively worse on firm backcountry snow. Other people’s mileage of course varies, but I wonder how many Deathwish tour fans have skied the BGT in either width? Deathwish is a great ski that I was pretty happy with, but the BG shape, rocker and mount point work so much better for how and where I ski. Mount point is probably the key consideration between the two skis. DWs require a neutral stance in pow. BGs allow more forward pressure and are much more consistent in pow/3D snow. Know thyself and select appropriately.
    Rec on length? 182 or 187?

Praxis Rx…..

this place is slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Rec on length? 182 or 187?
    I am about the same size as you and currently ski the 184cm BG Tour (old sizes were 184 and 189). If buying now I would probably get the 187, but I like a longer ski. I could easily see being happy on the 182 as well.

GPOs, Billys or Skinny Goats for the win.

There's plenty of edge on GPOs for harder snow. I use my regular GPOs as a daily (inbounds) driver in CO.

Custom UL/veneer will get you into the 1800g range, so that's a Spring time custom sale purchase ;-)

The new touring layup for the Goats 'll getcha there too. Make peace with an asym. edge if you go with Goats, otherwise, Woodsman tours.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Vwerks Katana?
    Best ski

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Yet another vote for Deathwish tour. Playful, fun in pow, easy to pivot in trees, and great grip in hard conditions for the waist width. Love the ski, excellent one ski quiver. Like it so much I think I'll get a regular deathwish for the resort

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Praxis Rx…..

this place is slipping.
    Ha. I actually had a pair 10ish years ago. I wasn't crazy about them. I had 189s and found them to be stiff and a bit much to handle in tough situation and weird snow.

edit- found my old review. It was actually 13 years ago. GEEZ!

X13 or whatever we're at on deathwish tour. Best touring ski I've ever owned.