Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post

No such thing. IATA is a trade industry association. Absolutely zero regulatory authority or relevance to TSA. And I doubt CATSA would be swayed by citing IATA recomendations.
    Yeah they're a trade industry association. As such stating they have no relevance to an airline's policy and how FAA, TSA, CATSA, etc etc etc views what you're carrying and how is ludicrous. As far as how they interact with your US agencies see below:

"The International Air Transport Association (IATA) is a trade association of the world's airlines. While IATA itself cannot enforce the regulations it has created, the airlines and the Department of Transportation (DOT) through the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) can and do"

I would disagree with your assertion that IATA does not have "regulations" since the top of this page says "Dangerous Goods REGULATIONS for Electronic Flight Bags". Further, from the IATA site "The International Air Transport Association (IATA) supports aviation with global standards for airline safety, security, efficiency and sustainability." Also "IATA works with governments and ICAO in developing regulations to ensure safe and efficient transportation of dangerous goods by air."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IATA.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	408057

I have flashed this document as printed to airlines and security folk (including TSA & CATSA) in Canada, US, Japan, and at least three countries in Europe (Germany, Austria, England come to mind) and it made getting through with my airbag easier in some cases and was instrumental in getting through in others. But, yeah you may be right Jonathan cause you were there.

Summit posted that they had trouble getting through security with their airbag. I posted ways that I got through (travelling over 20 years with an airbag, through the states and a bunch of other places).
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Here's a link to Table 2.3.A if you want to print a copy. Looks to be current as of January 2022

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/6...3-en-2.3.a.pdf

They (or anyone for that matter) can propose model regulations.
    However, they have no regulatory authority.
    Personally, I avoid trying to tell TSA what to do. But with airbag packs, given the frequent confusion, all sorts of strategies might be worth a try. However, everyone here should be forewarned that just because IATA suggests something, that has no meaning for TSA regs and practices.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series