Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuck You GoreTex. Not only killing us, but spying on us too.

Hopefully by this point we're all aware of the forever chemicals found in GoreTex and how they are infiltrating the air we breathe and water we need to survive. What I was not aware of is what a raging cunt Susan Gore is.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/08/u...democrats.html

if its paywalled here's some quotes
    Mr. Prince took on the role of celebrity pitchman, according to interviews and documents, raising money for Mr. Seddon’s spying operation, which was aimed at gathering dirt that could discredit politicians and activists in several states. After Mr. Prince and Mr. Seddon met in August 2018 with Susan Gore, a Wyoming heiress to the Gore-Tex fortune, Ms. Gore became the project’s main benefactor.
    During the 2018 meeting with Ms. Gore, according to one person familiar with it, Mr. Prince and Mr. Seddon said the goal of the private spying operation was to gather dirt both on Democrats and “RINOs” — slang in conservative circles for “Republicans in name only.” The plan was to begin in Wyoming, they said, and expand operations from there.
    During a meeting in a Las Vegas suburb last April of employees of Ms. Gore’s organization, the Wyoming Liberty Group, Mr. Seddon pitched a proposal to build a website where other so-called preppers could buy their own supplies and communicate with each other in the event of what he called a “Black Swan” moment — a major terrorist attack, another pandemic or a civil war.
    Ms. Gore ended up rejecting the proposal because it was too expensive — people with knowledge of the plan said it would start in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    smjw
    gonna smjw
    im still gonna puts the grace on my roofs
    and gortex on the bod
    bein wet sucks mur
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Hopefully by this point we're all aware of the forever chemicals found in GoreTex and how they are infiltrating the air we breathe and water we need to survive. What I was not aware of is what a raging cunt Susan Gore is.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/08/u...democrats.html

if its paywalled here's some quotes
    Well consider me egjucated. F*ck that lady and her money. But riddle me this: what brand or garment technology does NOT incorporate these types of compounds? Patagonia describes the issue well.

https://www.patagonia.com/stories/ou...ory-17791.html

Gore-c*nt can obviously rot, but are C6 compounds any better? Almost every exterior layer these days comes with a DWR layer sprayed on, same stuff. All of these compounds are persistent by design. And so ubiquitous in our water and land it makes you wonder if it becomes a lost cause at some point.

But yeah, Susan Gore can choke on a fat one.

Does this thread belong in the General Ski / Snowboard Discussion forum?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

You can't just pin this on the outdoor/ski industries. This thread should be moved.

The rise in Gore products was aided by lucrative government & military industrial contracts. And life saving medical devices and equipment. And also, dental floss.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Does this thread belong in the General Ski / Snowboard Discussion forum?
    probably not

What is the alternative? I remember my parents putting my feet in bread bags before buckling up boots way back when. Cold and wet sucks. Thank goodness my kids never had to deal with it

I would be all for buying quality eVent, if it was more widely available.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    What is the alternative? I remember my parents putting my feet in bread bags before buckling up boots way back when. Cold and wet sucks. Thank goodness my kids never had to deal with it
    Bread bags in the boots! I almost forgot about that ol' trick
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    smjw
    gonna smjw
    im still gonna puts the grace on my roofs
    and gortex on the bod
    bein wet sucks mur
    ...and the mome wraths outgrabe!

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    probably not
    Well if it probably doesn't fit
    You could puts it in the fishing forum
    Cause gore tex waders fuckin kick ass
    Strong work ski j
    Only using as few words as needed matters sometimes
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Picture? https://eco.picture-organic-clothing.com/en/materials/

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    https://www.greenpeace.org/internati...eace-response/

no thanks
    last 3L jacket from picture was an eco membrane and worked pretty good.
    annual spray on after washing with
    Attachment 405017

works pretty good.

there is plenty of membrane alternatives out there

sympatex
    pertex
    futurelight
    dryvent
    hyvent
    just to name a few

and basically they are all the same
    sort of. It's not just the membrane it's also the dwr coating. In fact I think with the newer membranes it is only the DWR coating that is the problem. Futurelight does not use PFCs in it's DWR. As a result it's coating doesn't last as long as others. The membrane still keeps you dry inside. So basically you just need to reapply the TOKO mentioned above more often (NIKWAX products are also PFC free).

Is the DWR applied to the fabric by Gore or by the manufacturer of the gear?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Is the DWR applied to the fabric by Gore or by the manufacturer of the gear?
    DWR is applied to the face fabric by mfg, the gore fabric is a component in what is typically a 2 or 3 layer package.

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

DWR isn’t the same as a membrane

You want both.

But gore isn’t the only membrane. It was the first. It’s not the last.

None of my stio has gore Tex. But it works nice.

Does dick Cheney ski in gore Tex now?
    You know. Because Wyoming republitards. And shit.
    . . .

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    All the more reason to never wash a DWR treated piece of gear. It ruins the DWR.....yes literally one wash....and the DWR then goes straight down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    You can't just pin this on the outdoor/ski industries. This thread should be moved.

The rise in Gore products was aided by lucrative government & military industrial contracts. And life saving medical devices and equipment. And also, dental floss.
    And ski bums benefitted from the warranty largess that afforded gore. Easily the best warranty.

note: if you didn’t wash your gear gore would complain.

If you don't wash your Goretex the membrane pores get plugged. Or so they say.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you don't wash your Goretex the membrane pores get plugged. Or so they say.
    Dirt attracts water, when the face fabric is dirty it becomes saturated and the membrane becomes overwhelmed. So yes.

And don’t use liquid laundry detergent

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Isn’t the point of those forever chemicals that it doesn’t matter if it disperses in your wash, or if you never wash it and it rubs off on lifts and in your pack and slowly sheds for 20 years every time you get it wet out in the world, sooner or later, one way or the other it’s dispersing into the air and water and it’s never going away?

im laughin if some bodies wastin their monies spyin on ski bums
    but hey it sounds
    stupid as fuck
    but made good copy

I don’t think she is spying on any of us unless you all are politician burner accounts. Used to just be called opposition research and everyone did it. Oh well.

I stayed dry touring in the rain the other day. That was pretty cool but I guess I can just add it to the ever growing list of things which will slowly kill me one day.

It would have been such an amazing vortex if Carhartt had made anything with Gore-Tex.

Oh, the cognitive dissonance that would be….
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident