Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    "Roast" worked out well for me today.
    I miss those days

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    How are "hoser" and "homer" in the word list?

Ew wordle you nasty!

Raise

Been sticking with "stare" as the opener for a while now.

I'm not a fan of these ones where you can be one letter off and it's still a word so it's just guessing, like "bloom" and "gloom" where you already have the "loom". There was one a couple days ago where I went three lines just changing the one letter, I'm blanking on what it was right now but whatever., I could have had it on the 3rd line if I was lucky but ended up on the 5th.

I think it was discussed somewhere up there ^^ but say you get a couple letters gold on the opener, what about guessing a word that doesn't have those letters so you knock more letters out? Not sure I'm explaining this well but say I start with "stare" and the "t" and the "a" go gold.

If you guess a word that doesn't use those two letters, is that legit? Like say "pound", with no letters in common with "stare" but it gets two more vowels and and three more consonants in play? Feels un-legit but I dunno. It also doesn't get you any closer to knowing where the "t" and the "a" belong, so there's a downside to it too.
    Last edited by ötzi; 06-10-2022 at 08:44 AM.

My strategy is that the first two words are just feelers using popular letters & exhausting the vowels if I can.

If you get something to stick on the first word, great, go with it, but otherwise narrow the field aggressively

Huh. I've kinda felt that if I get letters on the opener I have to use them on the next (and subsequent) guesses.

What does Deep Throat Mafia do in the Summer, without the thrill of ripping the blue squares?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

[QUOTE=ötzi;6631620]Been sticking with "stare" as the opener for a while now.

I'm not a fan of these ones where you can be one letter off and it's still a word so it's just guessing, like "bloom" and "gloom" where you already have the "loom". There was one a couple days ago where I went three lines just changing the one letter, I'm blanking on what it was right now but whatever., I could have had it on the 3rd line if I was lucky but ended up on the 5th.

I think it was discussed somewhere up there ^^ but say you get a couple letters gold on the opener, what about guessing a word that doesn't have those letters so you knock more letters out? Not sure I'm explaining this well but say I start with "stare" and the "t" and the "a" go gold.

If you guess a word that doesn't use those two letters, is that legit? Like say "pound", with no letters in common with "stare" but it gets two more vowels and and three more consonants in play? Feels un-legit but I dunno. It also doesn't get you any closer to knowing where the "t" and the "a" belong, so there's a downside to it too.[/QUOTE

feels better when you get it off your chest no?

Been sticking with "stare" as the opener for a while now.

If you guess a word that doesn't use those two letters, is that legit? Like say "pound", with no letters in common with "stare" but it gets two more vowels and and three more consonants in play? Feels un-legit but I dunno. It also doesn't get you any closer to knowing where the "t" and the "a" belong, so there's a downside to it too.
    In "hard mode" you can't do that, but if you don't play in that mode, that's definitely a good strategy, if not entirely "purist".
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    feels better when you get it off your chest no?
    It's always good to get things out in the open, ya know?

I do. Suppression fuels a girth of angst.

Haha. Almost got reamed but that one

Huh. I've kinda felt that if I get letters on the opener I have to use them on the next (and subsequent) guesses.
    Me, too. I think the "use the first two guesses as feelers" could potentially be the better overall strategy, but I'd still rather shoot for solving it in two guesses occasionally.

"Hard mode" should be called "crapshoot mode." It's "hard" because it's a bad strategy that relies on luck.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    "Hard mode" should be called "crapshoot mode." It's "hard" because it's a bad strategy that relies on luck.
    I don’t think that’s true at all. I play hard mode and can almost always get it in four or less. I’m like 135/137 overall in hard mode.

Hard mode is harder. It’s no less strategic.

I play hard mode and I'm not sure it's that much harder.. I'm 133/135 and those 2 I missed still piss me off.

Wait, people lose? huh.

“Lose not on list “

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I play hard mode and I'm not sure it's that much harder.. I'm 133/135 and those 2 I missed still piss me off.
    Marginally harder. Probably marginally better chance of never losing in easy mode, but hard isn’t that tough either as I’m 138 and 1. And the one was one of those single letter guess a thons. I think the real challenge is getting it in 3

Quordle is a LOT harder if you want a challenge

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    And the one was one of those single letter guess a thons. I think the real challenge is getting it in 3
    Both my misses were ones where it could be a ton of options. The last time I had 4 letters in the correct spot by the 2nd guess and still missed it.

I finally passed where my 2s & 3s are more than my 5s & 6s. Trying to keep my average under 4.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Both my misses were ones where it could be a ton of options. The last time I had 4 letters in the correct spot by the 2nd guess and still missed it.
    Yeah, those fucking suck. I guess at that point you should just go with something completely different to use more letters, but that's tough to do.

Yeah, in easy mode you can pick a word that eliminates all the possible letters to guarantee a hit on number six. In hard mode not so much