Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Heh. Got it in two.
    It’s luck at that point.

Four is a win
    Three is cool.
    Two is infrequent

PS. Thx for the spoiler alert. I hadn’t played in a few days so I gave it a shot. Started with throw. Made a lucky second guess.

PPS. Haven’t used the bot. But I have used a new letter combo on line two when I have no clue based on line one.

RSTNLE. the wheel of fortune. I always try to work those in. And also work to eliminate and locate vowels.

One of the things I've found out from Wordlebot is there's a list of ~2,000 valid words, so I've often tried words that are perfectly valid English five-letter words that aren't in that list and that kind of sucks.

I’ve been denied many times.

But if Wordle had as extensive of a vocabulary as us, the average joe would stop playing.

Once you understand the limited word bank, it makes the game easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I’ve been denied many times.
    That's the problem: you aren't denied. It accepts the word, but apparently it's not a possible solution. Seems to me the game should deny any word that's not in that 2,000 word list. I'm not exactly which words it denies outright vs. which ones it allows but aren't in the list.

Wordlebot says my starter of SKIER is not the optimal word, to which I strenuously disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That's the problem: you aren't denied. It accepts the word, but apparently it's not a possible solution. Seems to me the game should deny any word that's not in that 2,000 word list. I'm not exactly which words it denies outright vs. which ones it allows but aren't in the list.
    There are two lists. One list of every five letter word, that it accepts for guessing purposes, and a second list, of only more common words, that are possible solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    There are two lists. One list of every five letter word, that it accepts for guessing purposes, and a second list, of only more common words, that are possible solutions.
    I don't understand why that first list shouldn't just be the list.

And not sure I agree that the second list is "more common words." For example I remember one recently where I put "asked" and the actual solution was "askew." Wordlebot told me "asked" wasn't in the solution list.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    That makes more sense. In terms of game design.

But yes. I’ve been denied many times.
    It won’t accept it as a word.
    Not that I think my next guess is the answer, but trying to eliminate or confirm common letters.

PS. What’s the point of wordlebot?
    It’s like using google to do the nyt crossword puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I don't understand why that first list shouldn't just be the list.
    I think the game could be almost impossible some days for most people if it's a really obscure word. So they don't want to limit guesses, but don't want to solutions to be something weird. For awhile my first guess was a word "roate," which nobody would know in real life. I only heard it from some word nerd on the internet saying it was a good starter.

Well, they wouldn't need to pick a really obscure word, but not sure why they should be outright eliminated from contention. I think part of the fun should be that it could be anything.

Hadn’t checked out wordlebot but will see it’s assement of my strategies now.

Today was a 4

I’m disappointed to hear the list of words is only 2k. Seems dumb. Anything accepted should be part of a potential solution and part of the list of words being used. Shit that annoys me.

There are a million wordle knock offs if you want something different

I had high hopes for Framed but so far it seems super klugey and annoying as fuk

My daily routine to get the brain functioning:

NYT Spelling Bee
    NYT Mini Crossword
    NYT Sudoku
    Wordle
    Quordle

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You might like semantle. Though it seems like it clicks for some people and others hate it.

I just tried Semantle and lasted about two minutes.

Fire - cold
    Bridge -cold
    Hippopotamus -cold
    Broccoli - cold
    Chess - cold
    Mars - cold

Fuck you game I'm out

I certainly don't do it every day.

Despite the difficult and “deeply unfair” nature of the game at times, Turner says he’s received a horde of emails from individuals who use Semantle as a team-building exercise, a way to bond as a family and even as a way to learn the English language.

Turner also finds the way players talk about the game intriguing. He notes that those who enjoy Wordle often share their scores online to show how smart they are, but Semantle acts more as a journey for many.

“[Players] are not going to brag to their friends if it takes them 300 guesses … what they’re bragging about now is something different,” Turner said. “They’re not bragging that they’re so smart. They’re bragging that this day, [they] persevered and stuck at it until they did this very difficult task.”

too much ADD in me for that one I think

Absurdle?

https://qntm.org/files/absurdle/absurdle.html

This is an adversarial version of Josh Wardle's excellent Wordle.

"Adversarial" means that Absurdle is actively trying to avoid giving you the answer. With each guess, Absurdle reveals as little information as possible, changing the secret word if need be.

My standard starting word was the answer today. Apparently I'm a genius.

Dang. And I was pretty stoked about getting it on the first guess.

I told my wife and she hadn't done the puzzle yet and now she's pissed. So apparently I'm not a genius.

Nice guessing, old goat. I had an easy day, too:

Wordle 319 2/6

You guys playing wordle?

Does everyone have a standard opening pair of words? Or are you varying your openings?

After using wordle bot a few times to see how it’s all working, it seems clear there’s a limit to the strategeries and ultimately timely guessing is the difference between low & high scores

I switch it up but how can you have a pair of words? The results from the first one dictate the second guess, no?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I switch it up but how can you have a pair of words? The results from the first one dictate the second guess, no?
    Well, there is what's called "Hard Mode" where you have to use the information that is given to you in every subsequent guess. You can always guess different words along the way. So, for example, if I'm going into guess five missing one letter, and there are three or four options, sometimes I will pick a word that has those letters in it to narrow it down for guess six. On hard mode that's not allowed.