Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: $4K Trail Bike

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I have a Revive. It’s fine. It requires servicing just like any post, and develops the same play. Also the need to reset just makes me angry at this point. Mine started sinking a couple months into ownership and getting BikeYoke to even acknowledge that it has an issue has been like pulling teeth. On a new bike, I’d probably pick it over a KS, though the Lev I owned was bombproof.

Not that you asked, but if I was buying new, I’d get a OneUp. They’re relatively inexpensive, easier to service, parts are readily available, and their CS is solid. Maybe not quite as nice in the hand as a Revive, but functionally there’s basically no difference, IME.
    Yeah the Revive looks nice , but I would never splurge if it didn't come with the kit. Simply don't have the time to ride enough to justify the blingy post. My main question really comes down to is the cheap KS I rage on the cheaper build adequate or will it be a PITA

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Still beating the Ripley AF info to death. How much difference does the KS Rage I 170mm dropper in the Deore build vs the BikeYoke Revive 185mm in the SLX build make? I'm coming from an old non dropper bike so have no frame of reference
    Get the SLX bike
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Yeah the Revive looks nice , but I would never splurge if it didn't come with the kit. Simply don't have the time to ride enough to justify the blingy post. My main question really comes down to is the cheap KS I rage on the cheaper build adequate or will it be a PITA
    Yeah, sorry, ignore the rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Get the SLX bike
    This
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I'm 6'1 with like 34-35 in arms , think like a 32 inseam but haven't really checked . Haven't ridden a modern geo bike so not sure how to size when exactly between on the chart.
    FYI I have similar proportions (long arms, short inseam) for my size on my Ripmo AF. I am solidly in the Large size from Ibis sizing but went medium based on my existing bike dimensions and what I’m comfortable on. I’m super glad I went medium not large. Plenty long low and slack still but I can actually maneuver the thing when climbing and throw it around in turns rather than just riding a big sled.

Actually I mistyped that. I'm actually a 33.5 inseam , and a 74 inch wingspan. For where I ride on the EC thinking a L could make sense but concerned bc everything I read seems to say go XL w this bike

Thanks for this tip. Mine came without the frame protection as well.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Also, in case you order a Ripley or Ripmo AF and it doesn't come with the frame protection kit:
    https://store.ibiscycles.com/product...protection-kit

Email Ibis about it, and they'll mail one out to you. I did this today -- they just wanted me to register the bike with them (warranty reg), and forward the warranty confirmation to the Ibis online store. Mrs C's bike only came with the chainstay guard, nothing else.

Ibis mailed my frame protection kit out pretty quickly. The main thing I wanted was the down tube protector, which fit nicely. It also came with a tiny flap to cover a suspension linkage -- instructions online say to disassemble the rear suspension to install this, so I'm skipping it for now. And it came with another chainstay guard, but the bike already had one installed, so I've got a spare now.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Ibis mailed my frame protection kit out pretty quickly. The main thing I wanted was the down tube protector, which fit nicely. It also came with a tiny flap to cover a suspension linkage -- instructions online say to disassemble the rear suspension to install this, so I'm skipping it for now. And it came with another chainstay guard, but the bike already had one installed, so I've got a spare now.
    I had no trouble sneaking the "rock flap" into place without disassembly, fwiw. Used a flatblade to press it in.

Thanks - I'll take a look. I didn't even test fit it, just read Ibis's instructions.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

$4K Trail Bike

FYI since there’s been a lot of Ibis AF talk lately here, people are pissed the Ripmo AF is now shipping with a Marzocci Z1 coil instead of the DVO Onyx. Apparently there was no communication about it in advance and many people were only notified after their bike was in the mail. There’s one tiny blog post on their website about it.

Honestly The Z1 is a decent fork but I’d certainly be pissed if my $1100 fork got swapped for a fork that’s currently on sale for $649. That’s a big change on a $3000 bike and certainly doesn’t fall into the “equivalent equipment” disclaimer most manufacturers have used during the covid supply chain times.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    FYI since there’s been a lot of Ibis AF talk lately here, people are pissed the Ripmo AF is now shipping with a Marzocci Z1 coil instead of the DVO Onyx. Apparently there was no communication about it in advance and many people were only notified after their bike was in the mail. There’s one tiny blog post on their website about it.

Honestly The Z1 is a decent fork but I’d certainly be pissed if my $1100 fork got swapped for a fork that’s currently on sale for $649. That’s a big change on a $3000 bike and certainly doesn’t fall into the “equivalent equipment” disclaimer most manufacturers have used during the covid supply chain times.
    That sucks, especially given the coil part. From the reviews I remember reading about the Z1, there's only a few spring rates available for it.

Anybody have any experience with the Scott Genius 930? Carbon 150/150 bike that supposedly climbs well and I can get for a good price.

Actually I mistyped that. I'm actually a 33.5 inseam , and a 74 inch wingspan. For where I ride on the EC thinking a L could make sense but concerned bc everything I read seems to say go XL w this bike
    You 100% want to go XL on the AF.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    You 100% want to go XL on the AF.
    Yeah, that's what I did. Waiting for it to be built now. Swapping the 60 mm stem to 40 mm. Too many reliable people saying how the Ripley cockpit runs small made me go that way.

This happened to me, luckly my LBS (ranch Camp) swapped the Z1 for an Onyx. If the Z1 was air I probably would have tried it.

After about 20 rides on the bike the Onyx is nice but the lack of way ot control air volume with out using Oil is kind of silly in this day an age. DVO recommend adding oil to the air chamber and its feeling good now but I still think I like how RS forks feel. I swapped my 160mm pike from Nimble 9 on just to see how much was the fork and RS some how manage to have platform on top, with out being harsh, while still having really good midstroke support.

With that said the DVO felt way worse on the N9 so it went back on the Ripmo AF. I think I will end up with Lyric on my Ripmo eventually.

Overall my SLX (ish) build seems like a great bike and good value. Its pedals well and the rear suspension is both plush but supportive(I did end up adding bands to the chambers for midstroke support @200lb) The size M, fits me at 5'8 pretty well. Easily fitting a 210mm One up post. Weight is only noticed when picking the bike up on to my rack(my Nimble 9 weigh less than 26lb.....so). 35mm internal rims means you can run lower pressure with sidewall support if you want

ssomething to consider is...

Geo is not as progressive as some, I wish the STA was slightly steeper and HTA slightly slacker. The STA bothers me more though, still a huge improvement over my 2014 Trance SX. This though means the bike doesnt feel as sluggish as some other more progressive bikes on flatter trails.

The cons are

can only fit the tiniest of fidlock waterbottles.
    heavy but not noticable when riding IMO
    no pass though cables
    brake rotors are undersized stock IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Easily fitting a 210mm One up post.
    Interested in this. Ibis says the max insertion is only 210 total, I’m 5-10 on a medium frame and I figured I could only get a 180 on there, but I know there’s some fudge room with the cable actuator at the bottom of the post. . Can you measure your max insertion on that OneUp 210 for me please?

Also a BB-Seat rail measurement at your normal riding height would be awesome. Any issues with the tire buzzing the seat when dropped and at full compression?

. I’d love to get a 210 on there and could use some help from somebody that has one.

Interested in this. Ibis says the max insertion is only 210 total, I’m 5-10 on a medium frame and I figured I could only get a 180 on there, but I know there’s some fudge room with the cable actuator at the bottom of the post. . Can you measure your max insertion on that OneUp 210 for me please?

Also a BB-Seat rail measurement at your normal riding height would be awesome. Any issues with the tire buzzing the seat when dropped and at full compression?

. I’d love to get a 210 on there and could use some help from somebody that has one.
    issue with tire buzzing my ass yes, seat no, but I run my saddle fully forward and tilted forward. Ill get measurements when I can.

issue with tire buzzing my ass yes, seat no, but I run my saddle fully forward and tilted forward. Ill get measurements when I can.
    Sweet! Thanks! And yeah, nothing is quite wakes you up like an Aggressor to the butthole.

Can throw my hat in the ring
    revel rail 27.5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1661964010.694713.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	425234

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Sweet! Thanks! And yeah, nothing is quite wakes you up like an Aggressor to the butthole.
    it make you feel alive, they dont call it the ASSGUY for nothing.

Bottom Bracket Center to seat rail 69.5cm measured to seat rail because saddles have different stack heights

Seat rail to top of seat collar 31.5cm

this gives me exactly 210mm of insertion with this setup. With that said when I had the first had the bike my seat post was set lower in the seat clamp so I am certain that there is some wiggle room plus you can always limit travel pretty easily on a one up post. I had to limit travel on my Canfield NImble 9 size M down to 200mm mostly because the port hole is IMO too high on the frame. It was very quick easy job to do.

Also I measured between the 2.5 ASSGUY and the rear of my seat and its about 7 inches, I run my saddle forward and tilted nose down but still I personally wont run into issues with tire hitting the saddle.

In my educated opinion assuming your saddle rails are at least 67.5mm from the BB center you are safe ordering the 210mm because you can limit travel down to 190mm. IMO more drop is always better no matter the skill level or the terrain.

it make you feel alive, they dont call it the ASSGUY for nothing.

Bottom Bracket Center to seat rail 69.5cm measured to seat rail because saddles have different stack heights

Seat rail to top of seat collar 31.5cm

this gives me exactly 210mm of insertion with this setup. With that said when I had the first had the bike my seat post was set lower in the seat clamp so I am certain that there is some wiggle room plus you can always limit travel pretty easily on a one up post. I had to limit travel on my Canfield NImble 9 size M down to 200mm mostly because the port hole is IMO too high on the frame. It was very quick easy job to do.

Also I measured between the 2.5 ASSGUY and the rear of my seat and its about 7 inches, I run my saddle forward and tilted nose down but still I personally wont run into issues with tire hitting the saddle.

In my educated opinion assuming your saddle rails are at least 67.5mm from the BB center you are safe ordering the 210mm because you can limit travel down to 190mm. IMO more drop is always better no matter the skill level or the terrain.
    This is awesome thanks so much. I’ve got my BB-Rail measurement at 70.0 so there shouldn’t be any issue! I could have sworn I looked up the specs and even the 210 shimmed to 190 was too long but I’ll give it a shot!

Just got the XL Ripley AF SLX from N+1 Bikes. Got the Blackbird Send rims coming on all the new bikes. My supply chain lottery wins were Ibis Carbon bars and SLX 4 pot brakes

Only problem slightly is I also got upgraded to the 213mm Bike Yoke dropper from the specified 185mm. At full insertion I am maybe a cm or so too high. Is there a way to lower the travel or should I just manually wing it. 200 would be money .

Only problem slightly is I also got upgraded to the 213mm Bike Yoke dropper from the specified 185mm. At full insertion I am maybe a cm or so too high. Is there a way to lower the travel or should I just manually wing it. 200 would be money .
    Don’t we have a thread “Hacksaw Your Own Fucking Seat Tube” ?

"Hacksaw your own brand new fucking bike"

Don’t we have a thread “Hacksaw Your Own Fucking Seat Tube” ?
    Ha, yeah, as tempting as this is, I'm gonna just use my ample ass to stop the post at the proper height.